How to Clear Coat Copper Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
what material do we buy to clear coat a copper mod?

ive got a mini nemi and it has tarnished quite rapidly. while i like the patina, i think i like it more polished.

i think id like to polish it then clear coat it so it wont tarnish again. but im wondering- what is a clear coat product that would work well on a mod? also, should i avoid clear-coating the threads? i assume that it would gunk the threads up and likely even cause a loss of conductivity.

so basically im asking where to buy the clear coat and instructions on the best way to apply it to a mod.

lastly, if i decide i like the patina look better, can the clear coat be removed, or is that more of a permanent thing?

TIA

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
That's hilarious - I'm trying to remove the clear coat from my copper Vanilla clone and can't seem to make any progress. I've tried brake cleaner and lacquer thinner with no results.

And yes, you don't want to get anything on the threads as that will affect the voltage drop (conductivity) on the mod. I would either tape the threads or apply something like Vaseline to the threads and then spray it.

G-weezy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Minneapolis
This is what I purchased to clear my copper mod. Didn't work for me. I end up sanding the mod right after, it was a PITA. I had runs and bubbles. All user error fault.

U1biSoEl.jpg

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
This is what I purchased to clear my copper mod. Didn't work for me. I end up sanding the mod right after, it was a PITA. I had runs and bubbles. All user error fault.

U1biSoEl.jpg

thanks for the tip.

Clear-coated with Rust-Oleum lacquer and working great. Don't coat the threads. The lacquer can be sanded off with no problem, though it does clog the sandpaper rather quickly. To remove, either soak a while in lacquer thinner or use a paint stripper product.
View attachment 372666

thats gorgeous. thanks. i think i might let this patina grow, then lacquer it. or maybe i'll polish then lacquer. i dunno yet. my copper mod is a tobeco mini nemi. it got a patina/tarnish within the first couple of days, but since then it hasnt really grown much. my hands/environment seem to be simultaneously creating tarnish and wiping it away. i even had a couple spots of green on it- but not anymore :/
its weird to me, but then again, i have no idea how natural patinas typically work.

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
^^^^^^^Just lightly sand between every couple of light coats. Use 800 grit paper, lightly sand, then recoat. Repeat a couple of times to get a really smooth finish. Too many coats and the finish may begin to get a little milky, so don't go over half a dozen or so. Make light coats, being sure not to over apply and get runs. Don't touch the finish with your oily hands between coats.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
That looks amazing bussdriver - how did you get those colours? Do you need a primer or sealer? I read about someone that had the shiny copper mod patina underneath the coating.

Most common finishes out there will "breath" a little, which can result in varying degrees of patina forming under the finish.
Also possible the finish itself was interacting with the finish.

Poly or epoxy should not breath much, but I can't personally vouch for that, it's just what I have been told.

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
The mod was brass. I don't own copper mods so I can't speak for that metal. Found the method on u-tube. Metal must be perfectly free of any type of coating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxZprSwtcho

After rinsing and lightly rubbing the new patina (don't rub it off!) then let it dry well. Won't really look proper until it is coated, though. After it is THOROUGHLY dry, give two or three light coats of clear lacquer. Never noticed any change in the patina after it was coated. If it was to patina under the coating, I would have to say it was not thoroughly cleaned and dried before coating, or else the coating is porous.

For an extra-smooth coating, sand very lightly between each couple of coats, and give the mod 6 or 8 coats. Gives a nice smooth, shiny finish.

Colors in the final result range from aged brass to white to bluish-green to almost black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread