How to Fix Stuff

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
OK, this was an idea I had long ago...a thread dedicated to fixing stuff. Not complicated stuff like rebuilding automobile engines or attaching an addition to the end of your house. I'm talking about fixing stuff that is relatively simple and common and NOT vape related (God knows there are plenty of those around). Like most threads, this one will likely die on the vine but we'll give it a go and see what happens. It could be very useful. :)

Thanks to HHV for sponsoring this thread.

[Edit to add]
QUICK LINKS TO REPAIRS
Links to the main posts or start of discussions. Other nearby posts might have further info.

Thanks to all who asked and all who answered! Feel free to contribute, or ask your question.

Central Air Conditioning: Capacitor

Dishwasher: How to clean sprayer and filter

Gluing Broken Statue & Use Rubber Bands for Hold as it dries
Info about glue

Logitech K750 Solar Keyboard Battery Replacement

Garbage Disposal Easy Clean with Baking Soda & Vinegar

Keep Refrigerator Water Dispenser from Freezing

Train Yapping Dog to Quiet Down

Power Cord Strain Relief (for thin cords that lack strain relief)

Changing A Lightbulb in a Recessed Fixture

Repair Fluorescent Light: Ballast Replacement

Repair Dishwasher Handle End Cap (Bosch)

Repair Wood Blinds (Ladder String & Pull String)

Remove Bathroom Mirror from Wall

Cleanly Removing Tile from Drywall Can't Always Be Done

Considerations for Choosing Security Cameras

Cleaning Non-Wood Window Blinds

Septic Tank Pumping - Idea of Cost and When To Have It Done

Septic System - Watch out for lint and use enzymes monthly

Septic System - Info About Distribution Box

Septic System - Get Extra Insurance Rider for Water Backup

Discussion on Fixing Natural Pond That Won't Hold Water

Video: How To Choose And Install Pond Liner

Fix A Leaking Pond The Old-fashioned Way (Hay, Straw, Cattle)

Fix a Leaking Pond with Rock Shards and Clay (Requires Excavator)

Bathroom Fan Timer Switch Installation

John Deere Tractor - Steps to Disable RIO (Reverse Implement Operator) Switch

John Deere Tractor - Video: Disable RIO Switch

Pest Control - How Often to Spray Taurus Around Foundation and Yard

Termite/Insect Pest Control Steps and Video

Start of Discussion on Mesh Cover Installation for Gutters

Product Link: Gutter Guards

Product Recommendation: Ladder Stabilizer

Product Recommendation: Krud Kutter Gutter Cleaner

Product Recommendation: Cleaner for Mold/Mildew Stains on House Siding

Product Link: Gutter Guards (Stainless Mesh) Possible Sale at Holidays

Link to Honey: Online Sale Finder

Recommendation: Rakuten (formerly ebates)

Info on Using Honey Sale Finder

Video: Replace Gutter Nails

Info Discussion & Video: How To Fix Loose Gutter Screws

Product Recommendation: Magnetic Flashlight That Takes 18650 Batteries

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING (Dedicated to Rose :))

Is there anything worse in your life than when your AC craps out in the middle of summer? Perhaps, but not many. Here’s something you can do that could spare you several days of living in hell and save you big bucks at the same time. AC techs are busy in the summer and when you finally get a hold of one it will be days and big $$ to get him out.

The most common problem for ACs suddenly shutting down is capacitor failure. What is an AC capacitor? In a nutshell it is a soda can sized canister that stores high amounts of power in order to start the major components in your AC (fan and compressor). When the capacitor fails your AC is down. I’m taking a guess here but I’m willing to bet more than half of sudden AC failures is due to blown capacitors.

So what to do? Start by keeping a spare capacitor on hand. Why? Because then when your capacitor goes out (and it will go out before the rest of your AC goes out) you don’t have to take days chasing down a replacement and you can get it up and running quickly. A capacitor costs only about $15 and would be the best $15 you spent if it is 90 degrees outside and you’re dying inside. Check your manual for capacitor specs or take a picture of the label on the capacitor to get the specs. You can order them on Amazon. Or write me with the label photo and I’ll link you to the right one.

Is it hard to change out an AC capacitor? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! It’s actually quite simple and doesn’t take an HVAC Tech or electrician to do it. BTW, a tech will cost you between $250 and $300 to change out a capacitor. However, there are two very important safety precautions you MUST take. If you are unwilling to do these precautions because you think they are unimportant then don't bother fixing your AC. You're nothing but an accident looking for a place to happen. Call the man.
  1. Turn off the power to the unit.
  2. Discharge the capacitor after you have disconnected the power and before you touch the capacitor.
I wont get into the details of how to replace your capacitor. Instead, I will link you to a video which explains it better than I can here. The first 13-14 minutes is all you need to watch. As for diagnosing if your capacitor is shot, usually a visual inspection is all you need. A normally functioning capacitor has a totally flat top on it. When it fails, the top will be domed, bulging, disfigured, charred, or just flat out exploded. Even a slight bulge indicates your capacitor is shot. If that capacitor top is not clean and totally flat then it is highly likely shot. No need for a multimeter.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have a very specific question about one of my tanks. It has been driving me nuts, but I am relying upon you to give me advice. LOL.

The Nature's true tank has this really annoying nd complicated topfill system. It spins (clockwise, which is also annoying) and there is, I believe, a silicone ring that turns. Mine won't turn. There is a small nub that is supposed to "hold" the tank shut. I can't feel/find mine, and I have a feeling it is either gone, or has somehow gone UNDER the metal ring that turns, causing it to have frozen.

I have tried hot water, all sorts of gripping actions with plyers while turning, and also, pushing down pretty hard on each silicone oval you see that is supposed to turn. I have not tried both mainly because I only have so many hands. If you ever experienced the pain of trying to bottom fill the True tank, you would understand. Also, I would put the 4 ml tank on which is way easier to fill and in general. But, I already broke it.

I may need to just get another tank but I await the wisdom you may share.

Here is a picture of the top of the tank, so you can (hopefully) get my drift.

fullsizeoutput_b9b.jpeg

The fill ports are what are frozen, shut.

Anna

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    What I really like is that when the AC guy comes tomorrow morning, I am going to ask for the part he replaces. If it is a capacitor, I will be set for next time (provided I can get past the idea of all that voltage). In the meantime, we are sleeping upstairs tonight with the other AC, dogs are frying.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    What I really like is that when the AC guy comes tomorrow morning, I am going to ask for the part he replaces. If it is a capacitor, I will be set for next time (provided I can get past the idea of all that voltage). In the meantime, we are sleeping upstairs tonight with the other AC, dog are frying.
    Might want him to replace the capacitor regardless even if yours is OK. Unless he charges you some ridiculous amount. Capacitors are wear items. Most of the cost is them just showing up.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I have a very specific question about one of my tanks. It has been driving me nuts, but I am relying upon you to give me advice. LOL.

The Nature's true tank has this really annoying nd complicated topfill system. It spins (clockwise, which is also annoying) and there is, I believe, a silicone ring that turns. Mine won't turn. There is a small nub that is supposed to "hold" the tank shut. I can't feel/find mine, and I have a feeling it is either gone, or has somehow gone UNDER the metal ring that turns, causing it to have frozen.

I have tried hot water, all sorts of gripping actions with plyers while turning, and also, pushing down pretty hard on each silicone oval you see that is supposed to turn. I have not tried both mainly because I only have so many hands. If you ever experienced the pain of trying to bottom fill the True tank, you would understand. Also, I would put the 4 ml tank on which is way easier to fill and in general. But, I already broke it.

I may need to just get another tank but I await the wisdom you may share.

Here is a picture of the top of the tank, so you can (hopefully) get my drift.

fullsizeoutput_b9b.jpeg

The fill ports are what are frozen, shut.

Anna
    You violated the rule in the OP. :)

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    Okie dokie, Bronzed One, you're on.

I have a fairly large and hefty statue that has been broken by a deceptive cat who prolly got caught in my jewelry collection. Such a hater, that one. ;)

I can glue it back together without issue, but WHAT in the hellsbells can I use as a vice to hold it together?? I have no vices!!!!

(not that kind, anyway) :facepalm:

Reactions: stols001

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Okie dokie, Bronzed One, you're on.

I have a fairly large and hefty statue that has been broken by a deceptive cat who prolly got caught in my jewelry collection. Such a hater, that one. ;)

I can glue it back together without issue, but WHAT in the hellsbells can I use as a vice to hold it together?? I have no vices!!!!

(not that kind, anyway) :facepalm:
    Got a photo?

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Looks like it, I need to go around and spray any others I see. My legs are still infected though but that Taurus stuff is great.
    Spray your foundation with it too. The bottom two feet all around the house. 0.8 oz per gallon. You can also shoot it up into the eaves to keep the spiders down.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Spray your foundation with it too. The bottom two feet all around the house. 0.8 oz per gallon. You can also shoot it up into the eaves to keep the spiders down.

Spiders are my friends, don't want to kill them. Unless they start attacking me like the fire ants, then I might change my mind.

I just got the yard cleared out so I can spray around the foundation as soon as we aren't frying in the heat without ac.

Users who are viewing this thread