How to Fix Stuff

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
DISHWASHER

Are your dishes not getting clean? You're not sure? You never cleaned your dishwasher? I'll bet no one has ever looked at the inside of their dishwasher, more specifically the parts that actually clean the dishes. If you did, it is highly likely you need to do some cleaning. Mineral deposits from the water, detergents, and rinse aids build up over time...even if you periodically run those citrus cleaners. They have to be cleaned out once in awhile and especially if you've never done it.

There are basically three places inside your dishwasher that need to be cleaned. 1) Upper wand, 2) Lower wand, and 3) Drain filter. Every dishwasher is a little bit different so there is no way to give instructions on every model. You can do a You Tube search for your model and, at minimum, come close to yours. Removing the wands and parts around the filter is not hard. It's simple. And ladies, don't add this to your husband's Honey Do list because I don't need to get dog piled by a bunch of men when you can do this job yourself. Thank you for your cooperation. And DH would be impressed. :)

Pull each wand (upper and lower) and inspect the jet holes. Odds are likely one or more of the holes are clogged. Pick it out of there with a wire or small screwdriver or something (like the microdrivers you use to build a coil). Rinse it out good. I've had a wand that was so bad I had to replace it. No big deal but it gives you an idea how bad the deposits can build up. The drain filter is usually below the lower wand. A few more screws to pull. No big deal. Clean that sucker really good too. Put it all back together and your dishwasher will clean like it were new again.

Here's a vid that gives you an idea, but again, do a You Tube search for your model and you'll come up with something close to yours. This dishwasher is pretty easy. Everything twists out. Some require removing a few screws here or there. But again, it's simple. Your manual might even show you how to remove the parts.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Thanks for the reminder, Bronze. I haven't done that for far too long.

AC tech just left. I was supposed to be first on the schedule but ended up last. Arghh. AC had a burned out wire so it is now working again, yay.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Thanks for the reminder, Bronze. I haven't done that for far too long.

AC tech just left. I was supposed to be first on the schedule but ended up last. Arghh. AC had a burned out wire so it is now working again, yay.
    Yay, it's fixed! I had a similar problem Went out there and one of the wires that went to the capacitor wasn't making contact. It was kind of crudded up at the connector and the wire easily slipped out of the connector.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I fixed it. LOL I found the other tank (which is black) and placed it atop my SS deck. I did not feel like rebuilding at this time. It's not handsome but its working. Plus I need another RTA with different juice in it like hole in the head.

Caning.

Anna
    You're a funny (and loveable) bird Anna! Only you would get called out for being off-topic, acknowledge it, then post a follow up to the off-topic post! Made me laugh :):lol:

Let's move it to the Calling all Dog lovers - The Ehpro True MTL RTA thread, but the gasket isn't supposed to move- just the metal lid, to expose the ovals. Someone may have a better option than replacing the tank assembly.

And great idea for a thread, @Bronze ! I drive my wife nuts by insisting on doing anything and everything myself possible, instead of paying someone. I'll give some thought to see if there's anything I can contribute, but look forward to getting help here.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    You're a funny (and loveable) bird Anna! Only you would get called out for being off-topic, acknowledge it, then post a follow up to the off-topic post! Made me laugh :):lol:

Let's move it to the Calling all Dog lovers - The Ehpro True MTL RTA thread, but the gasket isn't supposed to move- just the metal lid, to expose the ovals. Someone may have a better option than replacing the tank assembly.

And great idea for a thread, @Bronze ! I drive my wife nuts by insisting on doing anything and everything myself possible, instead of paying someone. I'll give some thought to see if there's anything I can contribute, but look forward to getting help here.
    I'm not going to be the only one to offer up help. There's going to have to be others. And I know my stuff is more mechanical type stuff but it doesn't have to be limited to that. Everyone encounters stuff they are fixing so it would be nice to pass it on.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Alright, I shall move. It's like annoying I would like it fixed. Heh.

Speaking of dishwashers, it's also good to just CLEAN your dishwasher as a whole once in a while. A cup of vinegar right side UP can like, refresh your dishwasher. Top and bottom rack.

I learned that trick from that English show about cleaning where they find the grossest places and one cheery English maven shows you cool cleaning tricks and like the other one is some sort of microbiology expert and tests and swoons at like, the levels of E-coli and mad cow disease found everywhere.

It's kind of like hoarders only you don't have to feel guilty as a) they are English old birds and b) they don't involve the owners. They just cheerfully clean it all up.

There have been times I have considered applying, usually when I'm sick. I wish I could remember what it is called.

I have no dishwasher it is prohibited, the owners of my rental home said it was "tried, unsuccessfully." IDK if it was a plumbing issue or not. But I now wash my dishes by HAND and I LIKE IT.

I'm too old. LOL.

Anna

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    Okie dokie, Bronzed One, you're on.

I have a fairly large and hefty statue that has been broken by a deceptive cat who prolly got caught in my jewelry collection. Such a hater, that one. ;)

I can glue it back together without issue, but WHAT in the hellsbells can I use as a vice to hold it together?? I have no vices!!!!

(not that kind, anyway) :facepalm:

big rubber bands... heavy elastic straps... bungie cords... ;)

kas122461

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 15, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    Okie dokie, Bronzed One, you're on.

I have a fairly large and hefty statue that has been broken by a deceptive cat who prolly got caught in my jewelry collection. Such a hater, that one. ;)

I can glue it back together without issue, but WHAT in the hellsbells can I use as a vice to hold it together?? I have no vices!!!!

(not that kind, anyway) :facepalm:

big rubber bands ;)

This is the best idea IMO, I used to make ceramic molds, I have not done it in a while, but they make 3/4" wide x 6" diameter rubber bands to hold these large molds together. all the ones I used to have dry rotted and broke, you could find them at a local ceramic shop I would bet. :2c:

KAS

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    This is the best idea IMO, I used to make ceramic molds, I have not done it in a while, but they make 3/4" wide x 6" diameter rubber bands to hold these large molds together. all the ones I used to have dry rotted and broke, you could find them at a local ceramic shop I would bet. :2c:

KAS
    There are tons of different sized rubber bands on Amazon too. Large ones.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I'm not going to be the only one to offer up help. There's going to have to be others. And I know my stuff is more mechanical type stuff but it doesn't have to be limited to that. Everyone encounters stuff they are fixing so it would be nice to pass it on.
    That's what I was expecting/hoping. I mean, you seem like a pretty sharp guy, but if you had all the answers, you'd have your own show, blog, books, podcasts, etc., and no time for us. ;)

Okay, best I can offer right now. But I'll come up with something more useful. I have ideas on good uses for a Crescent hammer.
    upload_2019-6-17_20-3-21.png

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    :offtopic:
    I hafta say @kas122461, that Prov banner in your sig is great!

Back on topic, I don't have any fixes or workarounds to offer, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Now I have to go break something, and if I successfully fix it, I'll have some info worthwhile to share..

Users who are viewing this thread