How to Fix Stuff

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Then change out your hoses every five years.
Okay, you're really making me feel bad, Bronze. You, sir, are the King of Preventive Maintenance!:thumb:

It's a seriously great idea, but I guess I'm way too lazy, and I guess a bit of a gambler. I have to admit I don't routinely replace them. But if I had plastic, I probably would.

Come to think of it, the only plastic I probably have is toilet supply lines (even though they're braided they still have a plastic type lining), and I do replace those when I do any ballcock repairs, so maybe I'm a little less lazy than I first thought.

Reactions: Bronze

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Okay, you're really making me feel bad, Bronze. You, sir, are the King of Preventive Maintenance!:thumb:

It's a seriously great idea, but I guess I'm way too lazy, and I guess a bit of a gambler. I have to admit I don't routinely replace them. But if I had plastic, I probably would.

Come to think of it, the only plastic I probably have is toilet supply lines (even though they're braided they still have a plastic type lining), and I do replace those when I do any ballcock repairs, so maybe I'm a little less lazy than I first thought.
Home Depot is open tomorrow and you aint broke and neither are your legs. :)

th

Reactions: CMD-Ky

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
People must be running the lines to the kitchen sink or local bathroom?? I just punch a hole in the floor behind the refrigerator and into the basement and then connect it over the floor drain.
You'd think the insurance company would put out a warning somewhere, somehow.
I can't run a water line over a bunch of dead bodies! That would stink up the house! :D

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2019
Fixing stuff is fun isn't it? Thank God for the Internet, because I have no idea what I'm doing half the time.

A few recent fixes: Our front loading Frigidaire washer wasn't doing final spin anymore...clothes were still soaked after a cycle. Checked the pump first and everything looked clear. Same with the drain hose. Turns out when the door lock relay fails it doesn't do final spin; it thinks the door isn't shut. $20 and 15 minutes later it's fixed.

We have an old couch in our guest room that was sagging in the middle. Fixed the support brackets with a few new screws and a drill.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay, I have looked on the internet and like, it's not that helpful.

Anyone know how to turn oiled leather (shoes, specifically) black (from brown)? Without (hopefully) a bajillion stages but I can't even find a simple process to remove the oil. Assistance appreciated.

Pretty sure it's not Tommy's tape (other than taping the bits I don't want to turn black like the soles or whatever.)

Anna

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Okay, I have looked on the internet and like, it's not that helpful.

Anyone know how to turn oiled leather (shoes, specifically) black (from brown)? Without (hopefully) a bajillion stages but I can't even find a simple process to remove the oil. Assistance appreciated.

Pretty sure it's not Tommy's tape (other than taping the bits I don't want to turn black like the soles or whatever.)

Anna
Did you try vinegaroon? How to Dye Leather

(Look at method 2 in the link)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Not a repair question but a preparing to repair question. Several years ago I had a Black & Decker cordless drill, it was very handy. After a while of some fairly heavy use the batteries would not hold a charge. B & D no longer sold batteries for it. I was not pleased and swore off battery tools until now, in my dotage, the convenience of cordless lures me like a siren's call. I am sure that things have improved but what are anyone's thoughts on the utility of today's tools, battery life and continued availability of replacements? Any thoughts on brands? Anything special I should look for? Or should I forget it?

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Not a repair question but a preparing to repair question. Several years ago I had a Black & Decker cordless drill, it was very handy. After a while of some fairly heavy use the batteries would not hold a charge. B & D no longer sold batteries for it. I was not pleased and swore off battery tools until now, in my dotage, the convenience of cordless lures me like a siren's call. I am sure that things have improved but what are anyone's thoughts on the utility of today's tools, battery life and continued availability of replacements? Any thoughts on brands? Anything special I should look for? Or should I forget it?
Cordless drill? Gotta have that one (but also a corded one for bigger jobs requiring more power). Also cordless for Dremel. Other than that, I generally don't go cordless either. Except for a Ryobi extended pruning tool, but that was given to me. Don't want a cordless blower, saws, oscillating tools, etc. Most battery tools just don't have the same power, and I don't use them enough to make it convenient enough to worry about keeping them charged.

But I've been using a cordless Makita drill/impact driver set for many years, and just now replaced the 2 battery units. They really needed it sooner, but they lasted many years. I just never could decide whether to buy a new one or replace the batteries. Newer ones are smaller, more power, but don't have some features of my Makita. But I'd stick with Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, or a top brand. I won't ever buy another Ryobi, Dewalt...bad luck with those brands. IMO they're the Smok of power tools- cool features, low cost & reliability. Oh, and Craftsman: those could be made by a number of different companies, depending on model and product. Craftsman name doesn't mean what it used to.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA

The new ones with the Lithium Ion batteries are awesome, we have a Milwaukee at work. I have bought a adapter kit for my Dewalt for here at home, make's a world of difference.:2c:

KAS

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
For basic homeowner needs the Black & Decker 20v MAX series is inexpensive and flexible. That specifically applies to drills and weedwackers, with battery options from 1000mah to 3000mah available with many third party options on Amazon. I've had them in service a couple years and battery life hasn't dropped noticeably. I would love to have a good cordless leaf blower but they need so much power they aren't cost effective in my application. I prefer corded devices for the heavier tasks.

One thing to get is a fast charger for these lithium ion batteries unless you buy a couple extra to rotate. Just like our vapes!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I don’t like battery operated stuff either. Not enuf power and don’t like having to replace the battery. That said, I have a cordless DeWalt drill with adjustable torque feature. Have to say I’ve beaten the crap out of it and it keeps going. No problem finding replacement batteries. Best brands these days are probably DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee. A cordless drill is worth having due to their convenience and nimbleness. But as mentioned earlier, you need a corded drill for heavy jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread