How to Fix Stuff

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    No, but they should have for that price. I would never have agreed to that price but my daughter just wanted it fixed. Plus, he didn't have any answer for the freezing up of units in the cold. Just said, that happens.

If they just changed your thermostat, even a weekend rate doesn't sound like it should be $500.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Fall cleanup is officially OVER! With that, I will do a Part 1 review of the Raptor Gutter Guards. I purchased half from Amazon and the other half from Home Depot. These are the guards I believe KAS originally posted on this thread awhile back. I settled on these because they had the best reviews. We both, obviously, came to the same conclusion. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Gutte...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I live among the trees. Red oak, white oak, poplar, maple, hickory, pine, sweet gum, ash, holly, on and on. My roof gets buried every fall with leaves. I get plenty of tree trash throughout the year. So, as usual the leaves fall on the roof and collect on top of the gutters. I have a ridge of leaves that range from a foot to three feet wide all around the perimeter of the roof and in the valleys. They remain there for the better part of two months before I clear them off in mid December when all the leaves have finally come off the trees. On occasion I get lucky and we have a big wind event and it blows most of them off. But that is rare. Without the guards, my gutters would get clogged and the rainwater would just cascade over the sides. The fascia is rotting and I have the makings of a river bed along the house. Cleaning gutters is nearly futile. Even in the summer they'd clog quickly rendering the gutters worthless. I cleaned gutters a good 8 times a year and it still was not enough. So I relented and installed these Raptor gutter guards on my house earlier this year. I must say, they have been very effective. I was afraid the leaves would still collect on the gutters (and they do) and the rainwater would cascade over the top of them. That does not appear to be the case. The rainwater still largely found its way into the gutters. And cascading was reduced to drips that never made its way to the fascia. So I give a thumbs up to these gutter guards based on my Fall experience. Nothing got in my gutters. They function as designed. Installation was easy. I did sweep/blow them off as there was some remaining debris. Also some roof granules. I had a new roof put on in April so there were lots of loose granules (seems to be subsiding). No gutter guard can claim you'll never have to clean your gutters. That's horsefeathers! But you certainly don't have to clean often, maybe once or twice a year. And more importantly, your gutters work the entire time! I suspect this will slow down the rotting of my fascia.

I have a problem with the front of my house. All the rainwater that falls on the front runs into two valleys and pours into only two points...outside corners. There are ways to rig inside corners (most common) but none I have seen for outside corners. Tree trash accumulates in these two points and makes these guards less effective. Not the guard's fault. It's the design of the house. So I have to clean these two points more often. Even then, it remains a challenge. I will continue to look for a solution for this problem.

Part 2 of my review will come in Spring, post-pollen season. We get huge plumes of mostly pine pollen and the crap gets over everything. When it rains, it becomes pasty. So I'm thinking this will be a challenge for those gutter guards. Stay tuned.
    Okay, @Bronze - I know it hasn't been a year yet, but I have to check in on you. My dad in FL has been talking about getting guards for one side of his house (maybe both), and I thought of your posts. Still thinking Raptor is a good product? I'm down here periodically, staying a week at a time, because he's going thru chemo. I may be able to do it over time, but if not, he's got a pretty good handyman. What would you broadly estimate for time per section or foot, if you remember?

I know productivity probably has a steep curve- starting slow, then moving into a better pace. Dad has straight sections, no corners, and probably less than 100' total. Low slung ranch, 4" gutters. I haven't climbed up there yet, but looks like it'd have a pretty basic installation:
    upload_2021-3-3_12-11-15.png

Also, I think you said you picked up your second order of them from HD, but I can't find they carry them now. Did you fill in with another brand that was similar?

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Okay, @Bronze - I know it hasn't been a year yet, but I have to check in on you. My dad in FL has been talking about getting guards for one side of his house (maybe both), and I thought of your posts. Still thinking Raptor is a good product? I'm down here every periodically, staying a week at a time, because he's going thru chemo. I may be able to do it over time, but if not, he's got a pretty good handyman. What would you broadly estimate for time per section or foot, if you remember?

I know productivity probably has a steep curve- starting slow, then moving into a better pace. Dad has straight sections, no corners, and probably less than 100' total. Low slung ranch, 4" gutters. I haven't climbed up there yet, but looks like it'd have a pretty basic installation:
    View attachment 932645

Also, I think you said you picked up your second order of them from HD, but I can't find they carry them now. Did you fill in with another brand that was similar?
    Straight sections are a snap. You could do 100' in one long day or 2 partial days if you don't want to bust your azz (that's me, too old). Read the instructions and go to their website. The pointers they give you are spot on to ensure the guards perform properly. I was pretty impressed at how well they knew their product and how it should be installed. HD still sells them. They go by the name "Gutter Guard by Gutterglove". Various sizes and pkg quantities. They ship them to your local store in a day or two I believe. I believe Amazon calls them Raptors. Same guard except HD has two side tape installation as well as mechanical fasteners. I prefer fasteners. Tape is cheesy. Just install with it on. Too hard to take off. You might have to put a bend in it to follow the roof slope. Instructions will guide you. Do whatever they say and don't think you know better like we dudes like to think. :)

I'm still happy with mine. Pollen n stamen season are coming up so that will be my next and final test.

I'm sure your pops would appreciate you doing that job for him while he's getting beat up by that chemo. Hope he gets well.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Straight sections are a snap. You could do 100' in one long day or 2 partial days if you don't want to bust your azz (that's me, too old). Read the instructions and go to their website. The pointers they give you are spot on to ensure the guards perform properly. I was pretty impressed at how well they knew their product and how it should be installed. HD still sells them. They go by the name "Gutter Guard by Gutterglove". Various sizes and pkg quantities. They ship them to your local store in a day or two I believe. I believe Amazon calls them Raptors. Same guard except HD has two side tape installation as well as mechanical fasteners. I prefer fasteners. Tape is cheesy. Just install with it on. Too hard to take off. You might have to put a bend in it to follow the roof slope. Instructions will guide you. Do whatever they say and don't think you know better like we dudes like to think. :)

I'm still happy with mine. Pollen n stamen season are coming up so that will be my next and final test.

I'm sure your pops would appreciate you doing that job for him while he's getting beat up by that chemo. Hope he gets well.
    Okay, great. Yeah, after posting, I went to the site, and it looks like they have great, detailed instructions & videos. Looks simple enough, from what I saw. And yeah, I also saw that they have the Gutter Glove name, and seem to only use Raptor name on Amazon. So that's good news- I'll likely just pick some up at HD (trying not to give money to Bezos these days).

I'm leaving here Saturday, and the house is being painted now, but I'm definitely going to pick up a pack and do one side of the house- the worst one - when I'm down again.

Thanks for the post, the thread, and the well wishes. You saved me tons of research, and made me feel more confident about the product. I actually need them on sections of my house, but everything is 2+ stories, and I need my business to recover from the covid shutdowns to afford it.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Okay, great. Yeah, after posting, I went to the site, and it looks like they have great, detailed instructions & videos. Looks simple enough, from what I saw. And yeah, I also saw that they have the Gutter Glove name, and seem to only use Raptor name on Amazon. So that's good news- I'll likely just pick some up at HD (trying not to give money to Bezos these days).

I'm leaving here Saturday, and the house is being painted now, but I'm definitely going to pick up a pack and do one side of the house- the worst one - when I'm down again.

Thanks for the post, the thread, and the well wishes. You saved me tons of research, and made me feel more confident about the product. I actually need them on sections of my house, but everything is 2+ stories, and I need my business to recover from the covid shutdowns to afford it.
    Good luck! It's really not a hard job. Go on you tube and look up some videos. They're helpful. It would be useful if you had an extension ladder with one of those standoff dealies so you can keep your ladder off the gutter while you're installing.

76bridget

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2013
    Hello.. I'm looking for some type of smooth covering for my garage walls and ceiling. They currently are drywalled with a knock down texture. Then add 17 years of age so loose tape, minor damage, mud dauber nests that can't be completely cleaned off. Spiders, lord, so many spiders...

I'm not looking for something pretty, but more durable and cleanable. Oh and of course semi affordable since it's a big 2 car garage. Any recs?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Hello.. I'm looking for some type of smooth covering for my garage walls and ceiling. They currently are drywalled with a knock down texture. Then add 17 years of age so loose tape, minor damage, mud dauber nests that can't be completely cleaned off. Spiders, lord, so many spiders...

I'm not looking for something pretty, but more durable and cleanable. Oh and of course semi affordable since it's a big 2 car garage. Any recs?

RE: smooth covering, you mean like something you paint on?

Reactions: 76bridget

Nermal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I've got an odd clicking noise in my living room. It sounds a lot like mouse trap snapping shut, but of course, I have no mouse traps. This has been going on for over an hour, and at almost exactly 35 second intervals. I've turned off everything electrical in both kitchen and dining room. It's still there. I've turned down the gas wall heater far enough that it wouldn't ignite. I've even unplugged the microwave, not to mention a physical inspection with a flash light. Anyone have any other ideas?

I doubt anyone can troubleshoot this over the internet, but it's driving me buggy. Thanks for any reply.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I've got an odd clicking noise in my living room
    I've turned off everything electrical in both kitchen and dining room

What about the living room. Have you unplugged everything in the living room?

If that doesn't work, maybe there is a problem in an electrical outlet in the living room. So next step would be to turn the electricity off in the living room at the breaker panel.

It sounds a lot like mouse trap snapping shut

That's pretty loud

• Informative
    Reactions: Nermal

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Thanks for replying. Son of a gun, the blessed noise seems to have stopped, hopefully forever. Maybe I should have asked for help an hour ago. If it doesn't come back, I might be able to get some sleep tonight.
    Im thinking icemaker/refrigerator. But it's good to also think of what you have recently added.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Thanks for replying. Son of a gun, the blessed noise seems to have stopped, hopefully forever. Maybe I should have asked for help an hour ago. If it doesn't come back, I might be able to get some sleep tonight.

That sounds (pun intended) Very Strange. Do you have a Battery Powered Wall Clock by any chance?

That's all I can Think of. That, and if this guy comes to the door...

29twilightzone-guide-print3-articleLarge.jpg

... Don't Answer It.

Last edited:
    Reactions: hittman

Nermal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    That sounds (pun intended) Very Strange. Do you have a Battery Powered Wall Clock by any change?

That's all I can Think of. That, and if this guy comes to the door...

29twilightzone-guide-print3-articleLarge.jpg

... Don't Answer It.
    You are very close. It started up again today, and I was positioned just right to hear the source. Who would have thought the low battery alert on a smoke alarm would sound like a mouse trap.

First instinct was to shoot the gall darn thing, but I went ahead and did it the hard way. Seems they designed it to use those overpriced 9V batteries. Not only that, it's a special 9V battery only available from a Kidde. If I ever see one in a store and happen to have a pocket full of money, I will consider buying one.

Users who are viewing this thread