How to Fix Stuff

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
You are very close. It started up again today, and I was positioned just right to hear the source. Who would have thought the low battery alert on a smoke alarm would sound like a mouse trap.

First instinct was to shoot the gall darn thing, but I went ahead and did it the hard way. Seems they designed it to use those overpriced 9V batteries. Not only that, it's a special 9V battery only available from a Kidde. If I ever see one in a store and happen to have a pocket full of money, I will consider buying one.
Mine chirps like a bird.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
You are very close. It started up again today, and I was positioned just right to hear the source. Who would have thought the low battery alert on a smoke alarm would sound like a mouse trap.

First instinct was to shoot the gall darn thing, but I went ahead and did it the hard way. Seems they designed it to use those overpriced 9V batteries. Not only that, it's a special 9V battery only available from a Kidde. If I ever see one in a store and happen to have a pocket full of money, I will consider buying one.
Mine also chirps. This may be a blessing in disguise - it could be a faulty smoke alarm if it can't sing!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Good to Hear you got to the bottom of things.

Things like that can Make you question your Sanity. LOL.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts

As others have posted, chirping yes but snapping like a mouse trap no.
Regarding the Kidde battery, you should check the specs in your user manual to make sure they aren't misleading about the usability of standard 9v batts. I've never heard of "special" 9v.

• Agree
Reactions: kas122461

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
You're probably right about the battery, newyork. Kidde's probably just trying to improve their balance sheet. Still, they always sell batteries in a package of more than I would ever want. I mean, what would I ever do with the extra one or three other 9V batteries. I have nothing else that uses that size. Someday. . . maybe.

Okay, maybe it chirped. Mouse trap was what first came to mind.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Question about wooden flooring trim. An 8 - 10 foot angled piece covering the edge of a step (into a sunken room) has come loose. Some of the flooring nails that held it are missing, some were bent when they were nailed in, so their grip is not good.

The homeowner doesn’t want to nail it down, preferring to glue it. The house sits on a concrete slab, and I’m thinking there isn’t enough sub-flooring depth to get a good nail or screw grip.

My question is whether anyone has had success with such a piece being glued rather than nailed down?

Next question is what kind of glue would do the job?

Edit to add: Looks like liquid nails would do the job. I also suspect there’s an uneven surface and maybe dips on the subfloor and concrete that causes flex when the transition piece is stepped on. No solution will last until that is fixed. And that’s above my pay grade.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Edit to add: Looks like liquid nails would do the job. I also suspect there’s an uneven surface and maybe dips on the subfloor and concrete that causes flex when the transition piece is stepped on. No solution will last until that is fixed. And that’s above my pay grade.

Liquid Nails can work. And it probably wouldn't be a Bad Call.

But when I want to Really Hold something down, I lean towards 2-Part Epoxy Resin.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Liquid Nails can work. And it probably wouldn't be a Bad Call.

But when I want to Really Hold something down, I lean towards 2-Part Epoxy Resin.

Two part epoxy is wonderful stuff, it will most likely be tougher than the pieces being glued. I once sealed the cracked oil pan of 1975 Vega (not my Vega, thank the Deity). The seal was better than the entire car and it went Vega heaven without an oil leak.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Some of the flooring nails that held it are missing, some were bent when they were nailed in, so their grip is not good.

I forgot to Mention that if you are going to place a few Nails to round things out when you Glue things, that I would use "Ring Shank" Nails.

ring-shank-nails-drywall.jpg

And when Nailing, if you set the Nails at an Alternating Angle like in the How-To below, it Really Improves Holding Power. And helps to Minimize nails wanting to work themselves out.

Fixing a Squeaky Wood Floor from Above :: Sutherlands

45 Degree Nail Sets give you the Highest Strength. But you would be Amazed how just a 10 Degree or so Alternating Angle helps. And using 10 Degrees or so makes filling Nail Head Holes Much Smaller and Easier to fill.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Two part epoxy is wonderful stuff, it will most likely be tougher than the pieces being glued. I once sealed the cracked oil pan of 1975 Vega (not my Vega, thank the Deity). The seal was better than the entire car and it went Vega heaven without an oil leak.

Yeah... I have a Few "Mods" and Fixes that 2-Part Epoxy saved the day.

Funny what you can get Done with a Wax Paper/Cardboard form and some Epoxy. Or just a Glob on something that Won't Stay Put.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I forgot to Mention that if you are going to place a few Nails to round things out when you Glue things, that I would use "Ring Shank" Nails.

And when Nailing, if you set the Nails at an Alternating Angle like in the How-To below, it Really Improves Holding Power. And helps to Minimize nails wanting to work themselves out.

45 Degree Nail Sets give you the Highest Strength. But you would be Amazed how just a 10 Degree or so Alternating Angle helps. And using 10 Degrees or so makes filling Nail Head Holes Much Smaller and Easier to fill.
I'd probably use screws.

Reactions: kas122461

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah... I have a Few "Mods" and Fixes that 2-Part Epoxy saved the day.

Funny what you can get Done with a Wax Paper/Cardboard form and some Epoxy. Or just a Glob on something that Won't Stay Put.

BTW - My Daily Driver, a Wismec Surface 80w (the Mod I am Holding in my hand Right Now) has a Small Glob of Epoxy on the inside of it to Keep the pressed in 510 Connector from turning.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'd probably use screws.

I did a Flooring Repair project years ago where I started off thinking I would use Screws. They can hold Better than Ring Nails. But they can be a Pain to Drive until you get to a Bigger Diameters like Dry Screw Diams.

I ended up just using a few Strategically Placed Screws and the rest was done with Ring Nails and Water Resistant Wood Glue.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014

This is great information. Thank you.

My only concern with the epoxy is whether there’d be any issue with future removal to replace the flooring.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

My only concern with the epoxy is whether there’d be any issue with future removal to replace the flooring.

Yeah... With All Upsides there has to be a Downside.

And Future Removal would be a Downside to using 2-Part Epoxy. Because it is Permanent Bond.

This is where Home Projects can get Hard. When for some reason a Home Owner decides that a Project has to Start a Certain Way. Like Gluing. Then Everything has to be tailored towards How the Project Starts.

If you want to Glue Something, then to make it Stick you kinda give up that Future Removal thing. Or you Walk a Very Fine Line between something that Works and something that Doesn't.

Not knowing all that Much about the Condition of what the Subfloor/Substructure looks like, I would still want to Start with Ring Nails or Screws. With maybe a Few Dabs of this ...

titebond-wood-adhesive-1414-64_1000.jpg

Titebond III 16 oz. Ultimate Wood Glue-1414 - The Home Depot

I really think that Ring Nails/Screws and few dabs of Wood Glue are going to work for Most Things. And you would have the Ability to do a Future Removal if you Don't go Crazy with the Glue.

Then, if that Doesn't stand the test of time, go with something Stronger.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I did a Flooring Repair project years ago where I started off thinking I would use Screws. They can hold Better than Ring Nails. But they can be a Pain to Drive until you get to a Bigger Diameters like Dry Screw Diams.

I ended up just using a few Strategically Placed Screws and the rest was done with Ring Nails and Water Resistant Wood Glue.

This is why I like to use screws where possible. Where something is screwed they can generally be unscrewed. However, as Zoid points out, screws aren't always the answer either and alternatives are necessary. Perhaps start by using screws and if that fails then go to glue n nails. Use pilot holes for the screws. Makes life easier.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

Water resistant wood glue is another invention ole CMD was pleased to have discovered.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

Without question tremoval would be an issue. If it is applied to a clean surface it stays there.

Reactions: Bronze

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Water resistant wood glue is another invention ole CMD was pleased to have discovered.

I Remember when I 1st saw that Titebond Water Proof/Resistant Glue at Home Depot. This Dude standing next to me said it was Great Wood Glue. And "Much Better than All the Others".

I asked Him what makes it Better?

He shrugged and said... "Dunno? Maybe that use better horses when they make it?"

LOL

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I Remember when I 1st saw that Titebond Water Proof/Resistant Glue at Home Depot. This Dude standing next to me said it was Great Wood Glue. And "Much Better than All the Others".

I asked Him what makes it Better?

He shrugged and said... "Dunno? Maybe that use better horses when they make it?"

LOL
They use waterproof horses.

Users who are viewing this thread