How to Fix Stuff

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Then, there is always Triple A (AAA). Truthfully, that would be my first consideration for a woman. If your car breaks down you can get AAA to come out fairly fast. Kind of nice security if you're stranded somewhere. They'll come out and jump start the car, gas it up, retrieve keys locked inside, tow the car, whatever. There are a couple/few plans to pick from and I always recommend it for women.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    We had AAA for each of our daughters while in college. One went three hours away in one direction and the other went three hours away in the opposite direction. It was peace of mind for when they drove home.

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    Jump Start:

Do any of you you have thoughts or experience with this starter? I have thought about a lithium starter for my daughter's car but saw this. Some reviews raise questions.

Amazon.com: Autowit SuperCap 2 Portable Car Jump Starter, 12V Super Capacitor Jump Starter (Up to 7.0L Gas, 4.0L Diesel Engine), Super Safe Battery-Less Jump Starter with Carrying Case and Quick Charge, Orange : Automotive
    I don't know much about the chargers, but wanted to second the suggestion to get a AAA membership for the roadside assistance. AAA would cover things like flat tires and tows in addition to the jump starts. Unless your daughter has a history of draining the battery through her own actions, I think a good quality, new battery along with a good set of jumper cables would be more helpful for her.

As far as helping a stranger with a jump, I might do it, but with all of the fancy electronics on cars these days, would be very nervous about screwing up someone's car.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I haven't had AAA in probably 5 years but it's worth looking into. I just never seem to need it when I have it, but I need it when I don't have it lol.

As far as helping a stranger with a jump, I might do it, but with all of the fancy electronics on cars these days, would be very nervous about screwing up someone's car.

Good point. I don't know anything about these new-fangled cars. Mine's a 2002 bottom-of-the-barrel econo-car.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    We had AAA for each of our daughters while in college. One went three hours away in one direction and the other went three hours away in the opposite direction. It was peace of mind for when they drove home.

I can understand what you are saying completely. She is thirty-four and she is an independent young lady. When she was around three, I was trying to help her ride her bike without training wheels, her response to me was "by a self". Never changed. Suggestions are accepted, help rarely. She got that genetically and I kind of admire it, though it has scared me for three decades.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    Jump Start:

Do any of you you have thoughts or experience with this starter? I have thought about a lithium starter for my daughter's car but saw this. Some reviews raise questions.

Amazon.com: Autowit SuperCap 2 Portable Car Jump Starter, 12V Super Capacitor Jump Starter (Up to 7.0L Gas, 4.0L Diesel Engine), Super Safe Battery-Less Jump Starter with Carrying Case and Quick Charge, Orange : Automotive
    I was curious and read the description/reviews.
    Interesting. It's an "energy concentrator" design (charge pump?), that requires a battery or other connection with some juice left in it as a source, whereas the other type has its own charge carried with it. I like the "other type" better, IMO. This device would drain the battery even further, if there's any juice to begin with. OTOH, the "other type (li-Ion) would have to be pre-charged.

What was fascinating is that all batteries are a sort-of capacitor, they're just just not super-capacitors. An interesting design idea, since you don't need to keep it charged. But if your battery is truly dead, it's useless to get your car going. I'd pass. :2c:

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    I haven't had AAA in probably 5 years but it's worth looking into. I just never seem to need it when I have it, but I need it when I don't have it lol.

Good point. I don't know anything about these new-fangled cars. Mine's a 2002 bottom-of-the-barrel econo-car.
    Yours is still way newer than my 1989. :D

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I can understand what you are saying completely. She is thirty-four and she is an independent young lady. When she was around three, I was trying to help her ride her bike without training wheels, her response to me was "by a self". Never changed. Suggestions are accepted, help rarely. She got that genetically and I kind of admire it, though it has scared me for three decades.
    Someone once told me they never spank their kids except under one condition. As someone whose parents would not hesitate launching me into orbit if I got out of line I was curious what this one condition was. Safety!

Not sure why but that made a lot of sense to me. What better way to reserve your most potent punishment for the most critical of lessons. Cross the street without permission? WHACK!!!

Add to that my mother telling me since the day I was born until the day she died that she was my mother and I was her son and nothing would ever change that and when she tells me what to do I had better do it or else I would feel the motherly wrath of pain. Amazing how she never had to pull rank on me. :)

What I’m saying is, it may be well worth Dad making his girl do something she otherwise wouldn’t do in the name of her safety and well-being. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Does anyone know what causes a lawnmower (walk-behind mower) to sputter for a while when 1st started up when the engine is cool, then runs fine after 20-30 seconds of warming up? Right before it starts running normal, it sputters so low like as if it wants to completely shut down, but it doesn't. Is that the carburetor? It's happened this year every time I start the mower up after it's completely cooled down, like every time I go to mow for the week. Once the engine is hot or warm and I shut it off to take a vape break, startup is no problem since the engine is still hot/warm. As long as it's not completely cooled, there are no startup issues.

Internet searches aren't helping me as the results are about sputtering in cold temps or sputtering when in use.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Does anyone know what causes a lawnmower (walk-behind mower) to sputter for a while when 1st started up when the engine is cool, then runs fine after 20-30 seconds of warming up? Right before it starts running normal, it sputters so low like as if it wants to completely shut down, but it doesn't. Is that the carburetor? It's happened this year every time I start the mower up after it's completely cooled down, like every time I go to mow for the week. Once the engine is hot or warm and I shut it off to take a vape break, startup is no problem since the engine is still hot/warm. As long as it's not completely cooled, there are no startup issues.

Internet searches aren't helping me as the results are about sputtering in cold temps or sputtering when in use.

Is it one of the newer models with the auto choke feature?

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012

Hey Junk, like everything it could be one of a number of possibilities (I know, nothing is ever simple). If it were me, first thing I would do is the things you should be doing every season (and you may well be doing). New spark plug, new air filter, change the oil. If that doesn't work, then the next thing I would do is get into the carb. Unscrew the bolt on the bottom of the bowl. There is a port (small hole) in that bolt. Clean it out. Take the bowl off and clean the bowl. Then check the o-ring/gasket. Might still be attached to the bowl or could still be on the engine but there has to be a seal at the top of that bowl. It's possible that gasket is shot and needs replacing. Perhaps it swells up once it warms up a little thus sealing it during operation (as it should). Plenty of vids I'm sure on how to clean a lawnmower carb that you would benefit from more than me babbling on a posting site like this. I'd consider taking your gas tank off too and flushing it out. Could be some crap at the bottom getting in your fuel lines. Always use fresh fuel. Once it hits a couple months old it starts going bad. Use stabilizers to extend the life a few more months.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yeah I have to take a look at things more closely. I don't care that it does this, but I'm afraid it's going to leave me high and dry someday when I REALLY need to mow lol. I know in the past it would do this sporadically but not as badly. I think it is the carb. Never took a carb apart on a mower. The mower is roughly 10 years old. Been through a lot as with all my mowers. I use it on 2 properties one of which is rough. Technically I mow 3 city lots plus a slope. My mowers are put through hell. I really need a small riding mower for the flat parts, but I'd still have a lot of mowing by foot to do even if I had on lol. As I get older, I wish I had one but I'm not sure how practical it would be anyhow. But I can't even afford a new walk-behind mower right now let alone a riding mower. This one's a toro recycler with a Briggs engine. The new ones are shyte. I know because my aunt bought one 3 years ago. They are light, but not built to last and it cuts-out on slopes even with a full tank, which is a no-no for me. Mine doesn't cut-out on a slope even with a nearly empty tank. Doesn't matter which brand you get, they seem to have the same exact briggs engine on them. Anyway I'm rambling.

BTW: I may have found a thick denim bag today at the army surplus store to use on my chipper/shredder. It's smaller than the original bag, but it'll do assuming I can find a good way to attach it to the discharge without it blowing right off.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Yeah I have to take a look at things more closely. I don't care that it does this, but I'm afraid it's going to leave me high and dry someday when I REALLY need to mow lol. I know in the past it would do this sporadically but not as badly. I think it is the carb. Never took a carb apart on a mower. The mower is roughly 10 years old. Been through a lot as with all my mowers. I use it on 2 properties one of which is rough. Technically I mow 3 city lots plus a slope. My mowers are put through hell. I really need a small riding mower for the flat parts, but I'd still have a lot of mowing by foot to do even if I had on lol. As I get older, I wish I had one but I'm not sure how practical it would be anyhow. But I can't even afford a new walk-behind mower right now let alone a riding mower. This one's a toro recycler with a Briggs engine. The new ones are shyte. I know because my aunt bought one 3 years ago. They are light, but not built to last and it cuts-out on slopes even with a full tank, which is a no-no for me. Mine doesn't cut-out on a slope even with a nearly empty tank. Doesn't matter which brand you get, they seem to have the same exact briggs engine on them. Anyway I'm rambling.

BTW: I may have found a thick denim bag today at the army surplus store to use on my chipper/shredder. It's smaller than the original bag, but it'll do assuming I can find a good way to attach it to the discharge without it blowing right off.

I have a Toro recycler also that's about 20 years old. I love it. It starts first pull every time. I would guess that if yours is 10 years old that it doesn't have the auto choke. Those can malfunction and keep the engine choked. I think Bronze is right and I would start with a basic tune up then take a look at the carburetor. If it was an ignition coil or something then I would think it would do it all the time or only after it had gotten hot.

• Agree
    Reactions: Bronze

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have a Toro recycler also that's about 20 years old. I love it. It starts first pull every time. I would guess that if yours is 10 years old that it doesn't have the auto choke. Those can malfunction and keep the engine choked. I think Bronze is right and I would start with a basic tune up then take a look at the carburetor. If it was an ignition coil or something then I would think it would do it all the time or only after it had gotten hot.

It has auto-choke. I haven't had a mower with a manual choke since I was a teenager.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    It has auto-choke. I haven't had a mower with a manual choke since I was a teenager.

Maybe I'm using the wrong term. Newer mowers like the one my neighbor bought(Honda) don't have a primer bulb like mine does. His broke down and the engine shop explained it to him like there was a wax cylinder that kept the engine choked until it warmed up and then the cylinder moved to open the choke once it was hot.

Users who are viewing this thread