How to reduce harshness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
My favorite juice, Jon Wayne by Uncle Junk's, is no more. It's really a problem because it's the only vape juice I like.

So I've decided to start DIY...again.

I vaped Jon Wayne at 3mg. I'm reasonably certain that it was 70VG, 30PG.

So I have been mixing batches of RY4 Double (a poor but passable substitute) with the same Nic/VG/PG, and vaping it on the same hardware and the same wattage.

But it's harsh on my throat in a way that Jon Wayne never was.

Everything I have read about reducing the harshness says mix more VG, or lower the Nic, or vape at a lower wattage.

But it seems clear to me that Jon Wayne had something else going on that made it smoother.

Any tips?

Reactions: BrotherBob

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Any tips?

Yeah...

1) Make sure you Non-Flavor Ingredients taste OK. Mix a Batch of unflavored at your mg/ml and VG|PG Ratios. Does it taste fine?

2) Consider Lowering you Flavoring Percentages. (Since you Posted No Recipe, No Clue as to what Percentages you are using?)

3) Use a Sweetener.

4) Add a few Drops of Water per 15ml of Finished e-Liquid.

5) Taste after Mixing. Then "Steep" for at least 5 Days.

If #1 is OK, Harshness can almost always be Cured by #2 and or a Combination of #2 and #3.

If #1 is Not OK, Harshness might Only be Cured by #3.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
As a fan of the JW, it is a very complex recipe; one I have given up trying to reproduce.
Also as a multi year user of TPA D-RY4, it is a harsh throat killer if mixed above 5% and without 30 days of aging.
I have taken to mixing 1000ml per batch at double my flavoring and nicotine level. After a minimum of 1 month, I cut it 50% with 80/20 for my daily elixir.
Number one protip for D-RY4: Let it age
Second would be to add a fruit/graham/custard/candy note to the mix to lower the "bite" just a bit.

Cheers
I

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Good replies. Thanks for the advice everyone. I will investigate these options.

Doing my best not to get frustrated as I have in the past. I just purchased 2 liters of Nic due to the vape mail deal, so I'm in it for the long haul.

If I can come up with even one recipe that satisfies me close to the way Jon Wayne did, I'll be happy.

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
1) Make sure you Non-Flavor Ingredients taste OK. Mix a Batch of unflavored at your mg/ml and VG|PG Ratios. Does it taste fine?
I have not tried this yet, but all my ingredients are brand new and the Nic went straight into the freezer.

2) Consider Lowering you Flavoring Percentages. (Since you Posted No Recipe, No Clue as to what Percentages you are using?)

The recipe is simple:
RY4 Double 8%
Nic 3mg
70/30 VG/PG

This is my second time making this, but last time I started with the RY4 at 10% and decided that was too much (also harsh). Now at 8% it's still harsh but the flavor is rather weak.

I think I may need to add some more flavors to it so I can reduce it even more.

3) Use a Sweetener.

I bought some sweetener. Ethyl Maltol in PG. But I have no idea how to use it yet. I will look into that but any tips are appreciated!

4) Add a few Drops of Water per 15ml of Finished e-Liquid.

Huh. I have not heard of people doing this before. Is this common? I have assumed for years that I want to keep water out of my tank.

5) Taste after Mixing. Then "Steep" for at least 5 Days.

Steeping is something I need to come to terms with. This last batch I made enough to start vaping one bottle while the others steep. In truth this bottle steeped for 3 days while I was finishing another, but it's quite harsh. Maybe the lack of steep time has contributed to the harshness.

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Good replies. Thanks for the advice everyone. I will investigate these options.

Doing my best not to get frustrated as I have in the past. I just purchased 2 liters of Nic due to the vape mail deal, so I'm in it for the long haul.

If I can come up with even one recipe that satisfies me close to the way Jon Wayne did, I'll be happy.
When I started with DRY-4, I liked to add 3%-5% of TPA Cheesecake/graham crust. It smooths the tobacco base a bit and the graham adds a nice sweetness.

Have you tried any of the JW clone recipes?
Please post what you have tried/found.

Cheers
I

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Probably
    Hey smack
    Hey Leti :)

Yeah. I was looking this up last night and saw Jon Wayne is much like Boba's in that there are not any recipes that look the same except for the Ry4 Double. Lots of cakes, swirls, smooth, AP, booze, custards, etc.

Good thing I never had the opportunity to try the real deal :lol:.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Steeping is something I need to come to terms with. This last batch I made enough to start vaping one bottle while the others steep. In truth this bottle steeped for 3 days while I was finishing another, but it's quite harsh. Maybe the lack of steep time has contributed to the harshness.

If I am not familiar with a mix/flavor, I suggest steeping all new mixes a minimum of 4 weeks. Only then will I experiment and try to trim down steeping time.

Calaban

ECF Veteran
    Feb 17, 2009
    Newmarket, NH USA
    If I am not familiar with a mix/flavor, I suggest steeping all new mixes a minimum of 4 weeks. Only then will I experiment and try to trim down steeping time.

Thanks for the advice.

As of now I don't have the patience for a 4 week steep. I'm weak I know!

But as a novice mixer, it's tough to commit to steeping a flavor for 4 weeks when I don't even know if I'll like the flavor. And I need juice to vape in the meantime or it's back to analogs.

I think I'm going to experiment with the "warm water steep" idea and see how that affects things.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I have not tried this yet, but all my ingredients are brand new and the Nic went straight into the freezer.

I really Would if I was you.

If you do, and everything Tastes Good, then by Process of Elimination it is in you Favoring. Or Flavoring and Lack of Sweetener.

If you Don't, well, it could be just about Anything in your Mix that is Causing the Problem.

The recipe is simple:
    RY4 Double 8%
    Nic 3mg
    70/30 VG/PG

This is my second time making this, but last time I started with the RY4 at 10% and decided that was too much (also harsh). Now at 8% it's still harsh but the flavor is rather weak.

Seems like a Straight Forward recipe. And probably a Reasonable Percentage.

I think I may need to add some more flavors to it so I can reduce it even more.

Tempting I Know. But I would Hold Off. Throwing More Flavors at a Non-Finished Mix can Fix Things. Sometimes. But Lots of times you just make a something that is a Mess. And it can be Very Hard to Fix because you Don't Know what did what.

I would get the Kinks out of what you have 1st. Then you can Branch Out and make Hybrids.

I bought some sweetener. Ethyl Maltol in PG. But I have no idea how to use it yet. I will look into that but any tips are appreciated!

Ethyl Maltol can add a Degree of Sweetness. But you can Only go so Far with it. Then you Mix turns into Chemical Meh. If you Need Sweet, then consider picking up a bottle of TFA Sweetener. Which is a Sucralose Sweetener.

Huh. I have not heard of people doing this before. Is this common? I have assumed for years that I want to keep water out of my tank.

Yeah... It is Very Common.

Steeping is a Necessary Evil. Just like Spaghetti Sauce tastes better when it Slow Simmer All Day on the Stove, your Mixes are going to have to just Sit. Because they Are going to change.

And if you try to Adjust a Recipe before the Steeping is Over, you can end up Chasing you Tail adding this one Time. And removing that another.

I'm Not a Tobacco Flavor Mixer. So I'll leave those who Do.

But My Rule about Steeping is to Taste a Few Hits when it is First Mixed. Then Repeat every 3 Days or so. When the Flavor stops changing, you're Done.

This could maybe be Two Weeks for a Tobacco. Maybe Less. Hard to Say.

---

Above ALL ELSE, if you Only Listen to ONE THING that People Tell You, here is the MOST Important thing to Doing Successful DIY...

"Keep Detailed, Accurate and Dated Notes on Everything you do to a New Recipe. No Exceptions."

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread