How to tell if your wick is done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
The burning sensation usually means your geting dry hits inturn your coil might be gunked up depending on what kind of juice your using. Clean it out with hot water( fill half full, shake,dump out and repeat several times). Take it apart,look inside the coil and see if you have a "cocoon" of gunk on the coil. Dry your wicks off with paper towel and dry burn it. Lots of youtube and info in here about dry burning...hold the button for few seconds and release,blow the smoke and repeat bout half dozen times or when you see the coils glowing red again. If you over burn you will pop the coil and or have a permanent burn't taste. Put it all back together again, do a few good draws without power to wick the juice up, put on some power and take a few slow short draws and you notice your getting more vapor with every draw. I'm getting over a month on my CE4 and 5 wicks just by cleaning then when you notice the vapor or taste is changing

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Even a "dry burn" process has a cleaning before burning.

So research atomizer cleaning here on ECF. You'll have 100 options to choose from. Hint: Soaking/rinsing in hot water and "warm burning" it will usually do it. The "warm burn" is a way to dry the coil after cleaning.

A true "dry burn" is just overheating the element and breaking it...IMHO. I don't DRY burn. Ever. Why? As I understand it, a dry burn was invented as a last ditch atomizer resurrection method. Not an on-going maintenance method.

Let the rant's begin..........

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Ya.. I've read that you shouldn't dry burn the wicks and also that you shouldn't boil them either. I guess you do your research and find the way that best suits you best. The only other option is to throw them out but that option can get quite costly but if thats what you wanna do then its your choice. Knowledge is your best weapon cause there is so much to learn with e-cigs. Analogs were easy..light-smoke-.... out. E-cigs got a lot more to them

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The most I ever get from a coil is a week. If I dry burn and pop it, so what? So far, in three years of vaping I've only popped one coil and that was on a 306 low res dripper atty. I've dry burned Vivi Novas over and over with only good results. If I pop one, it costs me $1.59 for a new head.

If you dry burn, wash the coil in hot tap water before doing it. That washes off the liquid juice and puts some water in the wicking to create steam in the first few attempts at dry burning. The steam loosens baked on crud which will burn off as the coil approaches a cherry red state. Pulse the fire button until you hear the sizzle. Repeat until you begin to see a dull red glow and release the button. Repeat that in short bursts until you no longer see wisps of smoke rising from the coil and it's glowing dull red all the way across as you pulse the fire button. Refill and vape!

I'll have to try the boiling method, though. It's a shame you can't put metal in water in a microwave!

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
ALso CE5, Vivi nova, and protank heads can all be rebuilt if you do pop them. Even if you are not ready to try rebuilding yet. Clean em dry em and toss them in a baggie. If you ever decide to try your hand at rebuilding you will have them around to practice on. Costs you nothing to save them until you are ready and can save you some money later. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Don't change your coil, you put your coil on ethanol 95%, one night and you have already a new coil ^^

That's a commonly used method for cleaning coils. Just a disclaimer though, for those using alcohol to clean coils ...

FWIW, only alcohol that's safe for human consumption should be used to clean vaping components. Clear pure grain alcohol is commonly used and is safe. That's the kind you buy at the liquor store. Rubbing alcohol is poison when used for anything that touches your mouth.

Last edited:

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
Coils are simple to rebuild.....no need to pay 100 times what a replacement wick and coil are worth (1 to 2 cents each)

PBusardo has a Vivi Nova rebuilding video online

A PBusardo Tutorial - Vivi Nova Cleaning & Rebuilding - YouTube

after you've watched this once you'll be rebuilding all your own coils on anything not Genesis style....It may inspire you to rebuild Gennys too (although further research on Genny rebuilding is advised)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread