Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
I bought a syringe with a needle. Showed the pharmacist what I was going to do with it first. When I got home, I couldn't extract the liquid from the bottle because the liquid was too thick for the size needle that came with the syringe. The needle package says 3ml 25 G 1 1/2. After just dripping the liquid into the carts, I don't think the needle is that important. But I am curious, what size to ask for - for the needle to be big enough. I love the part in the video when he squishes all the cartridge fillings down to almost nothing.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Thanks Katy - I wonder what turning the liquid upside down has to do with it. Guess I'll have to ask a nurse. They don't turn me upside down whenever they draw blood. :)

Thanks Cash, I'll keep this in mind next time I go syringe shopping. I have found though in the meantime, that the liquid doesn't really take that long to travel to the end of the cartridge so it's not really that important if I have the needle. I just like having aaaallllll the accessories to feel complete!

Last edited:

jpc815

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2008
Tennessee, United States
Janet,

I am a nurse, and she is right, we draw medications up upside down to keep from getting air bubbles in the syringe, they are tricky little devils to remove once you get a bunch in there! You can't get a very accurate dose with air bubbles in there either. It takes more air than you think to cause an air embolism. Hope that clears that up! lol

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
He is right, the larger the number the larger the hole in the needle and the easier it is to draw up thicker liquids!

Jan, isn't it the opposite? The LOWER the number, the larger the needle.

When the gauge gets smaller, the diameter actually goes up :)

For Instance ... a 20g (gauge) needle is smaller than an 18g (gauge) needle!

kirstenNkaylie

Oct 20, 2008
In a lot of states, you can give your dogs their vaccinations yourself, without a prescription. Here in Texas, only the rabies vaccine needs to be done by a vet. I have several dogs, and have given my dogs their vacs for years. Just about any feed store, a lot of hardware stores, some builder supply stores, (such as Tractor Supply, Ace, etc.) carry the vaccines. They are always in a refrigerator. The vacs cost from 3.99 or so and upwards. Example-every year I give my dogs a 7-in-one--Parvo, Lepto, Influenza, etc., and the cost is about 5 bucks per dog. With each vaccine comes a sterilized, sealed, syringe. I do not know the gauge, but they are pretty big bore, so you can give the vac quick, since dogs squirm a lot, lol. You can also go into the section for larger animals-horse, sheep, etc., and they have tons of pastes, liquids, wormers. To give these to the animals more easily they sell in the same section needle-less syringes of varying sizes, from as small as your ring finger up to as large almost as your forearm.

Mojo

Oct 25, 2008
London
Hi all! Some info on syringes & needles in the UK...

I'm brand new to e-Smoking (my first e-Cig arrived today :cool:); I'm really impressed with the quality of info in this forum, but am obviously unable to contribute yet. However, as a medic, I thought I'd chip in aboutneedles & syringes (the info might extrapolate, but I'm based in the UK).

Unless otherwise noted, the info is for (human) healthcare needles and syringes only. Needless to say, although I've provided information to the best of my (very limited) ability, don't take my word for it - I'm not offering any of this info in any professional/expert capacity. Really just some notes, which some people might find useful....

Syringes:
The most commonly available syringes (due to some of the diabetic population) are primarily designed for insulin; they're likely to be completely useless for e-smoking purposes. Their capacity is only 1ml (= 1 cubic centimetre), and they usually have a (tiny) needle permanently attached. These are the injecting type that pharmacists are most likely to be familiar with; don't be fobbed off with them! They're also the type that most of the illicit-drug-injecting-population use. They're often marked 'U-100', and are of relatively poor quality (designed for single, sub-cutaneous injection).

In the vast majority of cases, any syringe bigger than 1ml does not have a needle attached. They have what is known as a 'luer slip' attachment (a tapering end), where you can optionally fit a needle (which is available separately).

The common sizes are:
1ml (no use to us, although you might rarely find them without built-in needles)
2ml (this actually has a capacity of 2.5ml)
5ml
10ml
20ml (quite rare for the public)
50ml (huge - scares the hell out of patients, and very rare in the context of public healthcare availability). FYI, these are also available with a different needle attachment method - luer lock, which uses the same standard needles, but prevents the needle inadvertently flying off the end if you push the plunger too hard).

The useful sizes will be from 5 to 20 ml. The smaller the size, the easier it is to control them properly (i.e. small plunger movement effects smaller volume change). For squeezing used carts by removing the plunger and loading them into the barrel (known informally as 'backloading'), 10 or 20 ml syringes would be best (the ?Dutch instructional video shows a 20ml syringe).

Needles:
All standard needles will fit any sized syringe.
As Cashmere pointed out, the gauge system can be confusing. Whilst there are several systems, the gauge system usually used for hypodermic needles is related inversely to their diameter - i.e. smaller number = wider needle; there's a table on Wikipedia, under 'needle gauge comparison chart' (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet). The wider needles are nearly always longer as well.
Most health professionals that I've encountered are far more familiar with the colours of needle (hubs) than their specific gauge:

orange & blue - probably useless (too small & narrow)
green (21gauge x 1.5") - probably the best size for this sort of thing.
white (cream-coloured) - quite rare, but nice & wide!
There are actually blunt needles available, but they're probably pretty rare in the public domain. They're used for drawing up from ampoules; the pink ones are very wide, with a blunt chisel (or flat blunt) tip - good for fast flow, but would probably damage any cartridge you want to inject into. There are also blunt filter needles in a variety of colours (designed to prevent glass shards from ampoules from being drawn up), but I would imagine they're as rare as hen's teeth (outside healthcare centres).

Again, pharmacists are likely to be more familiar with the smaller (& less useful) varities.

NB: Luer slip syringes have a specific technique of attachment/removal from the syringe:
push straight on (i.e. don't twist)
twist and pull (simultaneously) off (i.e. it's easier than just pulling)
many healthcare professionals haven't cottoned on to the above (although it's in the manufacturers' instructions). However, if you twist while pushing the needle on, you run a greater risk of the needle flying off if you push the plunger sharply! (This can hurt quite a bit, although if no-one's in the direct line of fire, it's often funny to watch)! 8-o

Sources:
Healthcare syringes and needles are available from decent pharmacies. However, if you walk into a small pharmacy, look unsure of yourself, and ask the pharmacy assistant for syringes/needles, they're likely to think you're pretty strange.

My advice would be this:
Go into a really big pharmacy (or an exceptionally friendly one) - ideally a really big Boots chemist. Go specifically to the pharmacy counter (where they issue prescription drugs). Don't be intimidated - you're the customer, they're the retailer; if they don't have what you want, then they should get their act together! An untogether pharmacy assistant might be unhelpful; if so, ask to speak to the pharmacist. The knowledgeable assistants should be helpful; the ideal is the registered pharmacist, who is likely to know exactly what you're talking about (if they're any good). S/he might not be familiar with the larger syringes/needles, but be persistent - you want e.g. 20 ml (pronounced 'twenty mil') syringes, with 'green needles' ('twenty-one gauge'). You might as well get e.g. ten of each.

If you're still worried, then consider this: there are numerous items in your average Boots (which you've probably already bought) which are used for nefarious purposes, and you might have already been scrutinised by the pharmacist. Conversely, many smart people follow the advice to take their own needles & syringes to 'Third-world' countries - and they buy them in major pharmacies.

They're very cheap (prices in pence rather than pounds).

Re: association with illicit use: people that are injecting illegal drugs are: 1) likely to want quite small versions of everything (typically 1ml 'insulin' syringes), and 2) likely to know a hell of a lot more about syringes etc. than you do (and not care very much what the pharmacist thinks about it). Actually, if the pharmacist did think you were going to use them for that purpose, s/he might even be more helpful: the policy in the UK is unrestricted access, to lower the incidence of re-use and potential infection. In fact, IV drug users often get their 'works' for free - the pharmacist might even offer you a free pre-packaged kit with syringes, needles, and sharps (disposal) box (although the syringes are likely to be too small)! :D

Bear in mind that syringes & needles are used for a huge variety of reasons - e.g. oiling small parts, mixing/applying glue, oral administration of medicines, measuring chemicals, etc, etc. - so you might be able to buy variants in all sorts of unexpected places. However, the healthcare types are likely to be better built, with stricter standards on materials and reactivity, and aren't full of any nasty substance that you have to (try to) empty first! I expect they're also available online, but the pharmacy access seems safest, probably cheapest (in small quantities), and probably easiest!

(continued, unfortunately :rolleyes:)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread