How toxic is e-liquid if ingested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kind Head

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
St. Louis
How toxic, if any, is juice when ingested? I know your not supposed to eat it, but I'm curious anyway. While working with juice or filling, it can get on your hands. Should I be wearing gloves when handling juice, should I wash my hands after handling juice?

Now, I know this probably wasn't the smartest thing I ever done, and in no way do I recommend anyone do this...but I tasted a little bit. A drop or so got on my drip tip, and I gave it a little taste with my lounge. And it actually was tasty, LOL. Don't anybody go and drink their e-liquid now, saying "Kind Head said it was ok to drink it". I am not suggesting anyone do this, actually I suggest that you DO NOT try this. This liquid wasn't intended to be consumed or ingested this way into the body, so it would probably be best not to put it in your mouth.

But in the future, should I be concerned with handling juice? If I remember correctly, nicotine is absorbed through the skin? Should I be worried at all with getting it on my hands/skin? And how stupid am I for tasting the liquid? Even at the fear of being put on the Wall Of Fail, or being flamed, I'm admitting to giving it a taste. Am I the only dummie to try that?

Okay, the flame gates are open. Bashing season begins on Kind Head starting..........now. GO

CCC

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Australia
If some premixed stuff goes on your hands, don't freak out just whipe it off. We have all had juice in our mouths at some point while learning how to use the pv properly, i wouldn't worry about that at all. You should wear gloves if you are mixing your own liquid and the mg is 60 or higher as you are right it does absorb into the skin. The toxic effect would be caused by drinking the liquid, which i am sure nobody in their right mind would do.

Kind Head

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
St. Louis
If some premixed stuff goes on your hands, don't freak out just whipe it off. We have all had juice in our mouths at some point while learning how to use the pv properly, i wouldn't worry about that at all. You should wear gloves if you are mixing your own liquid and the mg is 60 or higher as you are right it does absorb into the skin. The toxic effect would be caused by drinking the liquid, which i am sure nobody in their right mind would do.

Don't worry, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but not do dullest either. I won't try straight drinking it. I was to a little pleasantly surprised when I tasted that tiny bit, and it was actually pretty good.

Thanks for the info

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
The dose makes the poison. I didn't read the MSDS this time, though I've seen it before.

Over-ingestion of nicotine in any form can make you feel bad, and if it's too much, it could be pretty toxic.

But remember that in pre-mixed liquids, you're dealing with pretty dilute solutions of nicotine. Most of mine are 1.8%. (Which is 18mg/ml.)

You should be careful with it. You should NOT leave it where it could be ingested by children or pets. (especially pets. Children often have better sense, though I wouldn't recommend taking chances. A dog will swallow anything though.)

But, the way I figure it, I vape 2-4 ml of juice a day. If I accidentally swallow a drop, that's 1/20th of a ml, more or less. Less nic than you get from smoking a single cig.

It's important to be careful and safe with eliquid, as it is with any chemicals in your home. But don't worry too much when "they" tell you that nicotine is terribly, terribly, toxic.

Nicotine, in the concentrations most of us vape, is relatively safe to handle and have around as long as you use common sense.

Best,
Ande

PS- I'm referring to vape-able concentrations of nicotine here. If you DIY and use more concentrated solutions in your mixing, more warnings and precautions apply.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Also depends on the mg of the juice. Just like you wouldn't want to vape 100mg juice you won't want to taste it either.

A random drop here and there, or tasting a bit on a toothpick (of juice cut down to a vape-right level) isn't going to kill you. Try that with 100mg and it could be very very dangerous. Pouring a bunch of juice in a shot glass and downing that would also be a Bad Idea [tm].

Might be able to compare it to alcohol. You're not going to want to try drinking 100% pure grain alcohol. But the alcohol cut down (in a beer, some wine, or a 100 proof vodka) isn't going to kill you unless you drink a lot of it.

As with most poisons, or any other substance it's about how pure it is and how much you are exposed to.

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
By the way, the MSDS that was linked to is referring to 100% nicotine solution. DO NOT obtain 100% pure nic, do not use it, do not touch it, if you find a bottle of it, do not open it. Do not mess with it. Deadly.

Most DIYers use a 10% solution as their starting point (100mg/ml). Safe if you're sensible and cautious.

Most vapers vape between 0 and 3% solutions. Safe as long as you're not a total idiot. (don't drink large quantities or let anyone else do it.)

But 100% pure wouldn't be safe for any use outside of a laboratory with clear safety procedures, equipment, and trained personel.

Ande

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Basically when I DIY 100 mg I wear gloves and that's about it. I also have disposable plastic under my mixing stuff. As for toxic you'd have to purposely drink a fair amount before anything happened...a drop or two no biggie. I also wear glasses cuz a splash in the eye is quite painful.
Cheers, Vapoor.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm not an Expert on this Topic but I know that there is Two Factors that must be considered when Talking about Toxicity.

And that is The Amount of Absorption and the Rate Of Absorption.

When you Vape, the Amount of Nicotine Actually Absorbed is quite Low and Spread Out over a Relative Long Time Period. The Actual Percentage is Debatable. But the One Thing that is Clear is that it Can't be 100% (or even close to 100%) else just about Every Vaper would OD.

But if a Person, or Heaven Forbid, a Child was to Drink a Bottle of e-Liquid, then the Absorption Amount and the Absorption Rate would Climb Much Higher.

High enough to be Deadly? Possibly.

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
starychemik.wordpress.com
Very wise words zoiDman. Being a professional chemist I wouldn't change a single word in your message.
We have to be very careful as far as kids and pets are concerned. Any work with higher concentrations (>50 mg/ml) should also be careful.
It's much better to stay alive - the world is still an amazing place.

Kind Head

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
St. Louis
When you Vape, the Amount of Nicotine Actually Absorbed is quite Low and Spread Out over a Relative Long Time Period. The Actual Percentage is Debatable. But the One Thing that is Clear is that it Can't be 100% (or even close to 100%) else just about Every Vaper would OD.

Would you estimate what % of the nic contained in analogs is being absorbed? Also when you say spread out over a long period of time, I've been vaping pretty heavy these past 3 days, because I'm trying to stay off analogs and I've been hitting it pretty hard trying to satisfy my cravings. The past 2 days I've been vaping constantly all day & night. Pretty much the whole time I'm awake. I smoked between 20-30 analogs a day before I started vaping. But I think I'm inhaling 10x more vapor than I ever did smoke. I believe that vapor is probably less harmful than cigarette smoke, but should I be concerned with "heavy" vaping.

Just about all my juice is 30mg strength (I have no idea how that compares to analogs). I'm sure there are many vapor'ers out there, vaping high strength, and heavily. I'm trying to educate myself on the subject the best I can. But do I need to be concerned with overdoing it for the current time being? It just makes me a little nervous, how heavy I've been vaping all day, that maybe I'm overdoing it on my nic intake. Sure it doesn't have the other 3999 chemicals found in analogs, but am I absorbing and taking in more nic than I was before with the analogs, just minus all the other chemicals? Or in comparison, even heavy vaping higher strengths, doesn't even come close to the nic I got from 20-30 analogs a day?

If you wouldn't mind trying to explain some of that to me, I'd be grateful. I've been trying to consume a lot of information these past few days. Been all over the ECF Library, and the rest of the net. But it gets a little overwhelming with all the information out there. And some of the stuff I read, seems to be more leaning toward the "theory" side, rather than fact. I keep wanting some hard evidence of certain factors, that just aren't 100% accurate and available yet. Wish I could time travel to the future to see what the long-term studies show, and see what "facts" about vaping has been completely proven.

Thanks for any knowledge you care to throw my way.

Merry Christmas

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
We have to be very careful as far as kids and pets are concerned. Any work with higher concentrations (>50 mg/ml) should also be careful.
It's much better to stay alive - the world is still an amazing place.

I agree.

And I have used the term "e-Liquid" Exclusively since I saw a thread you did a Long Time ago. Seemed like such a simple phrase to use. Not sure why so Many people gave you a hard time about it.

Merry Christmas O.C.

Would you estimate what % of the nic contained in analogs is being absorbed? ...

Actually I believe I do know the Nicotine Absorption % for Analogs and it is right at 10%. Which means that there is about 10 Times the amount of Nicotine in a Analog as to what gets absorbed into your body when you Smoke One Analog.

Like I said, the % amount absorbed via vaping an e-Liquid is debatable. I personally I believe it is somewhere between 10~15%. But this is just me Personal Belief.

So if I vape 4ml of 18mg/ml e-Liquid a day => 4 x 18mg = 72mg Nicotine/Day.
But if the absorption percentage is 15% that I am taking in 10.8mg Nicotine/Day.
Sounds about right.
10.8mg would be about 10 Strong Analogs or a Pack of “Lites”

The Key is that the Nicotine mg rating on a Pack of Analogs is for what the “Average” Smoker’s body absorbs when He/She smokes ONE analog. Whereas the Nicotine mg of an e-Liquid is How Much Total Nicotine is Present in One Milliliter of Volume. There is No compensation for how much the Body Does or Doesn’t Absorb.

But you mentioned something else that is Hugely Important. That there are other Chemical Compounds that the Body Absorbs Besides Nicotine present in Analog Smoke.

It is this our Host of Chemical Compounds that I think Cause such Brutal withdrawal Symptoms and makes Quitting Analogs so Tough. That and I can’t see how they can possible Not be Harming a Person’s Body.

Kind Head

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
St. Louis
And I have used the term "e-Liquid" Exclusively since I saw a thread you did a Long Time ago. Seemed like such a simple phrase to use. Not sure why so Many people gave you a hard time about it.

Merry Christmas O.C.

Should I refer to it is e-liquid instead of juice?

Actually I believe I do know the Nicotine Absorption % for Analogs and it is right at 10%. Which means that there is about 10 Times the amount of Nicotine in a Analog as to what gets absorbed into your body when you Smoke One Analog

Any chance you could point me to any articles/studies where they talk about about how much nicotine is in cigarettes, or what % of the nicotine is absorb into our bodies? I'd appreciate it you know of any sources off hand.

Everything you say makes sense to me. However, and I don't know how true this is, but "regular" cigarettes don't contain less tar OR nicotine than "lites". I could be wrong, but from what I've been told (no source to back this up) regular smokes are the exact same thing as lites. At least when comparing something like Camel to Camel Lights. What I have been told, was that the Camel lite is really the same as the Camel, except there is more of a filter (cigarette overall is same length, but more of that length is the filter in lite cigarettes). And also if you ever take a look at the 2 cigarettes, you will notice some tiny holes in the Camel Light filters, that are about mid length of the filter, and go all the way around (I've seen most light brands like this). And again, from what I'm told, when you take a drag on a Camel Light, your getting more "air" with each drag. Your inhaling the same blend of tobacco, but getting more of a mixture of clean air with each drag, making it seem smoother and less harsh.

A friend of mine, when ever he'd bum a Camel Light off me (he smoked regular Camels), he would wrap a piece of tape around the filter, to cover up those holes. I tried it once along with one of his regular Camels, and they tasted almost identical. The light was just as harsh and same flavor as the light.

I remember big tobacco getting in trouble years ago, because they were marketing "Lite" cigarettes as "less tar & nicotine than regulars". But there was actually no less tar or nicotine, and they got in a lot of trouble. That much I remember hearing a lot about when they were getting sued. But as far as it being the exact same tobacco, and just the filter was different, I am not 100% sure, and can not prove that. Maybe you heard of this and can confirm or bust that myth?

So when you said,

I was thinking, 10 strong analogs = 10 lites, not a pack of lites. But if anything I've been told about lites is true. Than since your getting more air mixed with your drag, then it might make sense that your body was absorbing less nicotine. They got sued because the actual lite cigarettes contain the same amount of nicotine, and produced the same amount of tar when burned, but I don't think it proved that inhaling the lites proved to absorb as much tar & nicotine into the body.

Thanks for the info you given already. Anymore is always appreciated by me.

Have you heard any of this? Can you shed any truth or light onto these statements I have "learned" over the years that I smoked. I use the word "learned" with sarcasm. Listening to myths and conspiracies about big tobacco, while on my smoke breaks over the years, doesn't necessarily mean I learned anything of any truth.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Should I refer to it is e-liquid instead of juice?

Old Chemist started a thread awhile back asking members to please not refer to e-Liquids as “Juice”.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...king/197023-serious-warning-deadly-juice.html

It seemed like a Simple matter of phrasing and something I felt was Worthy. I must say that I was somewhat shocked by some of the Negative replies he received for starting the thread.

About the same time I read another Very Scary Thread about a Member finding their 18 month old on the floor holding a bottle of e-Liquid. Luckily the infant was ok but the outcome could have been Extremely Tragic.

So after reading these Two Threads I felt that referring to e-Liquids as “juice” wasn’t something I wanted to do anymore.

Of all the Slang Terms we use regarding e-Cigarettes and e-Liquids, “juice” is perhaps the one that a Curious Child can Strongly Identify with as something that would be Good to Drink.

And that is something that No One would want to hear about.

twohandedcreations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
orlando florida
i've gotten e-liquid in my mouth countless times over the last year and have even spilled whole bottles all over my self, most of which has been 36mg and every once in a while its a pretty substantial amount. I've never had any sort of adverse effects from it. no, NO YOU SHOULDN'T DRINK YOUR E-LIQUID, but a drop or two in my mouth isn't something i freak out about. i drip with a bridgeless 306 and it constantly spits E-LIQUID back at me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread