• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hurricane Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Cape Fear River, Fayetteville, NC. Not fake either. Unreal.

14712806_10154450729157367_7248757843912070371_o.jpg
Unbelievable!

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
Downtown St. Augustine was hit pretty hard and a friend told me that 5 families have lost everything. FEMA and Red Cross are still there, and the only way they can access some families is by boat......takes a very long time to get back to normal, if indeed, that ever happens! A new normal is inevitable. No fatalities, thank God!

Flagler Beach is sadly injured with the pier in disrepair and A1A is heartbreaking to see. We were fortunate enough to have a brunch over looking the ocean at one of our favorite haunts.......the Java Joint!

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Downtown St. Augustine was hit pretty hard and a friend told me that 5 families have lost everything. FEMA and Red Cross are still there, and the only way they can access some families is by boat......takes a very long time to get back to normal, if indeed, that ever happens! A new normal is inevitable. No fatalities, thank God!

Flagler Beach is sadly injured with the pier in disrepair and A1A is heartbreaking to see. We were fortunate enough to have a brunch over looking the ocean at one of our favorite haunts.......the Java Joint!

Yes...new normal

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My wife and I are currently southbound. We did the first leg (~450 miles) yesterday, will be doing the second (~600 miles) tomorrow. I'm told the downstairs is a bit rough; they ended up pulling 2' of drywall from much of it. But the upstairs is supposedly OK, and the power is on, A/C works, septic has been pumped out. Not sure how long we'll stay. Might be just a few days, might be a couple of weeks. Much depends on whether I can get the cable internet back on -- that's a must in order for me to be able to do my normal day-to-day work.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
My wife and I are currently southbound. We did the first leg (~450 miles) yesterday, will be doing the second (~600 miles) tomorrow. I'm told the downstairs is a bit rough; they ended up pulling 2' of drywall from much of it. But the upstairs is supposedly OK, and the power is on, A/C works, septic has been pumped out. Not sure how long we'll stay. Might be just a few days, might be a couple of weeks. Much depends on whether I can get the cable internet back on -- that's a must in order for me to be able to do my normal day-to-day work.

Glad it's not as bad as you suspected, safe travels my friend.

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Fema is still in our neighborhood from Hurricane Hermine. Unbelievable.....it's been almost 2 months.

I can't imagine how long they will be between the Cape and Jacksonville and of course further north.

Well...they're a federal agency so the wheels turn slowly :facepalm:

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Sounds like it could definitely be a lot worse since you were somewhat expecting a total loss....

Replacing some Sheetrock is a lot better than a bulldozer :eek: ;)

Have a safe trip........and pichers.....we'll need some. :thumb:

Reactions: Bea-FL

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Sounds like it could definitely be a lot worse since you were somewhat expecting a total loss....

Replacing some Sheetrock is a lot better than a bulldozer :eek: ;)

Have a safe trip........and pichers.....we'll need some. :thumb:
Well, the bulldozer has been there, digging the place out; much of the lot got inundated with 2-3' of sand.

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well, the bulldozer has been there, digging the place out; much of the lot got inundated with 2-3' of sand.

Step right out the back door on to the beach ;)

:yawn:

Just glad it's clearing sand and not scraping off house remnants. :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Big mess. The streets look like a war zone here -- lots of folks put all their flood damaged stuff and all other manner of debris out on the curb. I'm the odd man out -- I told my contractor get us a dumpster.

Then there's the sand. Picture 2-3' deep snow drifts, but they're sand, not snow.

Oh, and the A/C that was working quit. Temperatures are tolerable though. Highs around 80, lows in the high 60s.

On the positive side, Brighthouse (the local cable company) came out, put a new power supply on their amplifier/splitter and I have real interwebs back.

This pic is from a web-cam that I figured I'd never see again:

OU4KMcN.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread