Not open for further replies.

Prism

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Ok everyone who is in the path of the hurricane. This is a thread to keep everyone posted on how you are doing and what is happening. Remember to charge up your vaping batteries, flashlights, get extra water etc. And take care of yourselves

316307_10150263452566863_550531862_8060652_7607811_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tuck

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Twister Alley
For those living on the east coastline, it is important to be familiar with and adhere to the basic three strep hurricane preparedness plan.

STEP 1. Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.
STEP 2. Put these supplies into your car.
STEP 3. Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here on the east coastline. We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE: If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and...
(2) It is located in Nebraska.

Unfortunately, if your home is located on the east coastline, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place.

EVACUATION ROUTE: If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license; if it says anywhere on the east coastline, you live in a low-lying area.)

The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.

Good luck, and remember: It's great living in Paradise!

gramakittycat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
For those living on the east coastline, it is important to be familiar with and adhere to the basic three strep hurricane preparedness plan.

STEP 1. Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.
STEP 2. Put these supplies into your car.
STEP 3. Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here on the east coastline. We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE: If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and...
(2) It is located in Nebraska.

Unfortunately, if your home is located on the east coastline, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place.

EVACUATION ROUTE: If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license; if it says anywhere on the east coastline, you live in a low-lying area.)

The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.

Good luck, and remember: It's great living in Paradise!

Aw Tuck You put the right touch of humor on the situation;I know a chuckle in the face of grave danger is worth so much but then I know you know that for yourself.After Katrina hit New Orleans I still ;even though I was'nt there when it happened:have nightmares and bouts of PTSD because I still don't know what happened to virtually all of my fellow nurses ,friends and patients that were there.I see footage of the distruction and still more than 5 years later my heart crys.So all of you in the danger zone or have family and friends there please follow all the evacuation and safety procedures and preparations.Nothing is so precious as a life.Tuck .. a big hug to you and my good thoughts and prayers will be said that all come thru safe. Lord bless each one of you and be with you till the storm has past.

Darkwitless

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2010
KY
Please folk - if you've never been through a hurricane, don't take this lightly. We had the odd distinction of dealing with Hurricane Ike's left over winds a couple of years ago - yes, in KY! I lost the siding off one side off my house and our power. Some areas here were without power for 5 days due to trees on power lines.

Thank goodness for the advanced warning and I have you all in my prayers for your safety.

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
LOL, I grew up in OK, and tornado's aren't fun either. I remember being in a shelter at Frontier city (theme park) and watching my ex's car go about 2 storys into the air and dropped on its top.

between the earthquake and the hurricane I am now only missing the "survive a tsunami" merit badge to get that elusive "natural disaster Scout" patch!

Good luck to all, maybe I will put the call out to get all the Phillians into a bar for a juice swap durring the storm!

You have too .. I lived threw Besty and Camille. I lived just north of New Orleans in Slidell. I live now in North central Oklahoma. Twister alley

BiancaMontgomery

SQUIRREL!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
Baby and I are off to get supplies. Beth will be home around 3:30ish...I'll feel much better when she's out of Boston and home with us...though I'm a little worried about NC too. I think we're far enough in, but I still want to get enough "stuff" in case we lose power and water. We're under flash flood warnings now. Be safe everyone!

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Hi - Thankfully "Irene" went by Us here in Florida . . .

And after going though a few of these, let me just say "Be Prepared" and not just for 3 days of supplies - YOU MUST get enough "stuff" to last you for at least 7 days/1 week and even better for 2 weeks - for each person and do not forget your pets (all kinds) . . .

Another thing to remember is to have a First Aid kit on hand and some kind of "Body" wash for those days without water for cleaning yourself - just saying from experience . . .

Oh & BTW, not that it would get to you in time for this one - but there is this that was just posted in "Deals and Steals" by "meens" . . . Free Solar Charger

Oh yea - PLEASE STAY SAFE EVERYONE

Last edited:

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
prayers for everyone in a hurricane's path.
Ike nearly killed me & I'm 2 hours from Galveston. We've got hurricane plans wrote out on paper, a closet full of supplies, & now i've got a trusty mod just for such occasion.
no power here for 18 days after IKE........I'm from Ohio..........I'd never been in a hurricane before, just 5 ft of snow. Now we've got a generator & we are ready to go.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread