The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I Can't get em off

Discussion in 'SmokeStik' started by MeJo, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MeJo

MeJo Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Florida
    My collection of used cartos are growing out of control. I have a dental tool: the one that is metal with a hook - you know the kind that one would normally use to scrap plaque off teeth. Well it has been a good tool to pry the caps off, but these new carto's I have just don't want to budge for me. How are you guys getting them off?

2. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I use a thin Phillips screwdriver. It has to be sturdy. Just put it in the opening in the end cap and slowly pry it up while turning the carto. Sometimes I mangle the cap a bit, sometimes not. It's not glued, just fits really tight. But it does come out, eventually. If you break it, just use a drip tip or a soft rubber cap from any other carto (if you have any).

3. lorikay13

lorikay13 Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    I of course use a "special tool". It started out as a straight pick....not a dental pick but more of an awl that you would use to start a hole with....then I bent and filed the end to look like a crochet hook. Or...you can just use a syringe without taking off the cap.

4. speedemon

speedemon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    Chicagoland
    These are probably glued,boil some water stick the tip in for a minute,now they will come out.

5. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    They are NOT glued. I said so in my post. Submerging them in hot water will not help.

6. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    Correct!!!! SmokeStik NEVER uses any type of glue anywhere in their cartos. The caps are machined specifically to prevent them from coming off unintended for safety reasons. Unlike KR808's which have female threads and can therefore be washed out.....male threaded cartos should never be exposed to water. Especailly if your using auto batteries......whatever brand you use.

tweet tweet :)

7. player30

player30 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 10, 2010
    Birmingham AL
    Will the end cap (condom) method work on refilling them? On the old cartos, refilling from the battery end works great. I have only used two of the new ones, but the drops go straight through them from the battery end.

8. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    right.....so having any battery issues yet? LOL!

9. player30

Dec 10, 2010
    Birmingham AL
    Not yet, but I am saving my allowance in case I have to replace it. Surely I won't kill four at one time! ??????? That would be a crappy day!

10. Biomom

Biomom Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The cap/plunger method "works" BUT it does waste a lot of juice, especially if you're careful to tap and blow on it into a tissue/towel to make sure there isn't any excess drippage before connecting to your precious battery.

I ordered one of those fancy kits with the plastic syringe needle but have not had luck getting the juice in the right places through the cap.

I have some knitting loom hooks and am going to try that next :) My first dissection did NOT go well :S

11. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    I've seen worse......but they literally came off the battle field.......now THAT is a valid excuse.

12. player30

Dec 10, 2010
    Birmingham AL
  13. sooperdrave

sooperdrave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2010
    Maine
    all you gotta do to get the ends off, is boil them for about 3 seconds.

14. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    your kidding right?

okay....I thunk this through and here is what I came up with.......put some water in a pyrex measuring cup......bring it to a boil in the microwave........leave the silicon cover on the batter end of the carto and then just hold the cap end in the water for a few seconds........softens the cap so it comes off easier and not worries about shorting out the carto or ruining your batteries.......

player.....I sent you a PM......but I'm putting this here because I don't want people thinking I am ignoring you.....something isn't right......just call me or Steve and let us help you figure out what the problem is.

15. sooperdrave

sooperdrave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2010
    Maine
    no.....
    if i have an ss carto that has an end stuck on (i know there is no glue on ss cartos), i just stick the very end of the carto in boiling water for 2-3 seconds. i dont know why it works, but it seems to loosen up the cap and the end pops right off after. i should have been more specific and said NOT to just drop the whole carto into boiling water.
    look how much you just made me type, LK. you upset with me?

16. Biomom

Biomom Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Washington, DC
    FYI The knitting loom hook worked like a CHARM. I was able to gently pry around in a couple of spots with this tool; I felt like I had utmost leverage and control (SO not like my last HACK job) :)

17. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    of course I'm not upset with you! I have been known to boil out "other" cartos myself.....you cant do it with the 4081's

Biomom....you have discovered the secret......the old saying about a bigger hammer is simply not true when it comes to cartos caps....your 100% correct.....it simply takes finese' and the correct application of gentle equally distributed force....think of tightening lug nuts on a tire........

18. player30

Dec 10, 2010
    Birmingham AL
    All is well; I have successfully gotten the caps off with my rug hooking tool(no longer hook rugs!). I do love my drip tips, and it looks very nice on the PB. And so now, I refill from the cap end. I apologize for my tirade. I would blame it on PMS but I went through menopause at 34, and so I will blame it what I blame most things on--my husband!

19. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    :lol: I am...

I love you, LK13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.