I did it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughvines

Jan 8, 2019
9016F35A-FE3B-47EE-A890-3FF946BDFE99.jpeg
made my first coil. Twisted wire with ball point pen old vape drop in coil with inside taken out. Attached other end to door knob. Turned wire on nail found in garage. Tinned with grill lighter

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Not much spitback. Mostly just playing around. I’ll have to work up slowly to drill and all that stuff. Just a hobby. I don’t own a drill yet.

I don't have a drill either :) I prefer this over a pen. The heavier the weight the tighter you can twist more complicated combinations of wire without kinking. Occasionally pulling down on the weight between spins (cup or whatever) helps too.
Wick twisted builds tight to help prevent spitting and popping.
Sidenote: I try to avoid snapping the wire but you can twist it until it snaps off at one end or the other. Careful of your eyes.:eek:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Flattening round wire is an example of something people have done in the past. Flat wire is pretty readily available now. In fact I'm going to go buy some. Now. Going to look for rectangle wire also... Haven't tried that but want to mix it in to something.
I get my rectangle wire from http://kbeevapor.com

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Know any source for Kanthal rectangle wire? Looking for something thicker than .1 x .8 ribbon wire.
Sorry I don't. I use the nichrome 80. I have found with the rectangle wire I can get the same vapor production using lower wattage/voltage than with round wire. I'm definitely sold on rectangle wire. I clapton it with 36g 316L ss and IN MY OPINION it's the next best thing since sliced bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread