I dont know how you people do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdunlapx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
Ohio, USA
I read on here about people still having a few cigs once in a while or when the craving gets real bad and seriously I dont know how you can do that. Now dont get me wrong here I am not an anti smoking nazi nor do I think I am superior to any that cant quit smoking altogether.

For me there is no such thing as 2 cigs a day or only when the craving gets real bad. For me if I smoke just 1 cig its only a matter of time before I am hooked on the damn things again.

I'm the same way. I am however down to about a half pack a day. But one or two cigs for me follows up with a pack per day. I don't have the willpower. So I really don't know how to quit alltogether even with vaping. It's going to be a long struggle I fear.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
Brewster 59 - count me among those who did not just immediately and forever give up cigarettes. As I have stated in prior threads I initially got my e-cig as a gift, and to be polite I thanked the giver and told them I was happy to try them, use them as a supplement, whatever, but that I had no plans to give up smoking. After over 30 years of smoking, and trying numerous times to quit, I had resigned myself to the fact that smoking was my cross to bear, but coupled with the fact that I was indeed addicted I also truly enjoyed smoking, while dreading any possible health problems that may await me.
Began vaping in early June, and immediately found my cigarette intake reduced from 30 daily to between 10-15, unintended though it was. It was another month before I noticed I was down to about 7-10 daily, and it wasn't until August 3rd, when I had been down to about 3 cigarettes a day that I just didn't bother with the first one, and never got around to lighting up any that day. Surprised the heck out of me that I really, truly didn't want one, and in fact I'm still startled sometimes, because as I said I did enjoy smoking, and had struggled unsuccessfully too many times to think I could every give them up by hook or crook, let alone by free choice. Still wouldn't beat myself up if I really wanted one, and still think of myself as a smoker who simply chooses not to smoke, but perhaps that's why it works for me. Don't know, don't care, but I do encourage people to be realistic and not beat themselves up in their attempts to get away from cigarettes with electronic ones. Some folks just immediately lose the desire, while others don't, and for those that don't trying the "immediate drop" just isn't going to work, and that’s nobody’s business but their own. We’ve each smoked for varying periods of time, and if we are going to succeed we’ll also do that on our own individual timetable too. Oh, and if someone never gives them up entirely, but can honestly reduce their risk by serious reduction using the e-cigs, I say good for you too.

Well thats great information and could be helpful to people as well. Im not stating that my way is the way. Im saying I know I cant do that, I kinda wish I could. So far Ive seen 3 different kinds of people respond

1 Cant stand the smell or taste
2 Those that know know they will like it if they have one so abstain to keep from being hooked again
3 those who can use both and suppliment the amount they smoke or when they smoke by vaping.

Very intresting.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I still smoke analogs. It's not that I actually like them, I just want them for some reason. But as with everything else in my life, I have two gears - park and overdrive. If I have one analog, I will have twenty!

The only way I have managed to have a few cigs only, is to keep them in my husband's office and ask him for a couple every now and then.

~A

wingerlight

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
All I can say is I sleep better, GF says I don't snore like I used to. I breath better. My sense of smell and taste are better. I have extra pocket change. As long as things are going in a positive way I can only praise the ecigs for those changes in helping me quit. And many more thanks to the members here for the information about them. Very glad I found this site.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
But as with everything else in my life, I have two gears - park and overdrive. If I have one analog, I will have twenty!

~A
:lol:...That sums me up too, A. All or nothin' is my burden. Drink or smoke, there's no moderation to be found. I'm with you all the way, Brewster. If I have a smoke I might as well go buy a carton.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have been 7 months without cigarettes.
And they do indeed taste like crap to me now.

But I'll smoke one whenever I feel like it.
And I choke on it, put it out, and laugh in the face of the cigarette.
They hold no power over me any more, and smoking one now and then confirms that.

This is not like your mother's quit smoking regimen.
This is different.

The old rules do not always apply.

Last edited:

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I read on here about people still having a few cigs once in a while or when the craving gets real bad and seriously I dont know how you can do that. Now dont get me wrong here I am not an anti smoking nazi nor do I think I am superior to any that cant quit smoking altogether.

For me there is no such thing as 2 cigs a day or only when the craving gets real bad. For me if I smoke just 1 cig its only a matter of time before I am hooked on the damn things again.
I would agree except for a while I WAS one of those people!
After I got the PV my 'need' for analogs jsut dropped off. I still had a few..but they were the ones I actually LIKED. You know what i mean right?
You smoke all day but you don't actually want half of them, or half of them taste great and the rest taste like socks. You may even stop halfway thru one and think 'yuk' or ;I dunno why I'm doing this'. If you're a long time smoker this has happened to you. Not every single ciggie is a great one.
BUT
There are some in a day of smoking that hit the spot. You really enjoy it. It might be the morning one, the one after dinner, the one before bedtime. So in actual fact you love 3 ciggies and the rest are habit or fillers. It may be you like more than 3, and those are the ones that are hardest to leave.
That was my story anyway. I got my PV before my sig start - about 2 weeks before in fact. I went down from a pack a day at first to about 8 or 10 ciggies. Then it was 4-8 ciggies - I liked most of them, but I was starting to like the PV more.
Then it was 2-4 ciggies. Those were my absolute fave ones. With a coffee. Those were the ones I enjoyed the most and I figured I could deal with 2 - 4 ciggies a day if I was using hte PV to 'pacify smoke' the rest of the day.
Then I sort of forgot to have the 2-4.
I always believed, like you, that I could never have 'just one or 2' and be satisfied. I was wrong.

I started vaping, to be able to smoke and get away with it... too many long meetings, long flights, and now a new baby... I needed an alternative.

Vaping is kind of working for me. To my surprise, I find I am down to about 3-4 analogs a day, more or less by accident.

When people hear that, they inevitably respond, "well, you need to cut those out, too".

Which makes me want to say... well, never mind what I want to say. It's amazing that people have to respond to progress with an extra jab or two. I didn't care what they thought when I smoked a pack+ and I still don't.

I'll smoke if I want to. I just don't want to as much. That's pretty cool.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
I would agree except for a while I WAS one of those people!
After I got the PV my 'need' for analogs jsut dropped off. I still had a few..but they were the ones I actually LIKED. You know what i mean right?
You smoke all day but you don't actually want half of them, or half of them taste great and the rest taste like socks. You may even stop halfway thru one and think 'yuk' or ;I dunno why I'm doing this'. If you're a long time smoker this has happened to you. Not every single ciggie is a great one.
BUT
There are some in a day of smoking that hit the spot. You really enjoy it. It might be the morning one, the one after dinner, the one before bedtime. So in actual fact you love 3 ciggies and the rest are habit or fillers. It may be you like more than 3, and those are the ones that are hardest to leave.
That was my story anyway. I got my PV before my sig start - about 2 weeks before in fact. I went down from a pack a day at first to about 8 or 10 ciggies. Then it was 4-8 ciggies - I liked most of them, but I was starting to like the PV more.
Then it was 2-4 ciggies. Those were my absolute fave ones. With a coffee. Those were the ones I enjoyed the most and I figured I could deal with 2 - 4 ciggies a day if I was using hte PV to 'pacify smoke' the rest of the day.
Then I sort of forgot to have the 2-4.
I always believed, like you, that I could never have 'just one or 2' and be satisfied. I was wrong.

Holy cow, if anyone could test my resolve to not even have one it would be you. God yes I remember those good cigs , After dinner, with a beer, during a stressful moment. I also remember at least for me they came with a 30 per day price tag.

I also know people who can pick up a smoke only while drinking but thats not me. I know that I quit smoking for 6 months and was going through a stressful time and was only going to have just one which turned into 10 years of 30 a day.

It seems that the ecigs has different effects for different people. Some people pick them up and find the holy grail and never want another cig.

Other people find they help them cut down the amount they smoke and are working towards abstince

Some have found that they can switch back and forth as they please.

Others find that they enjoy them recreational but really are not their chosen nic delevery system.

JLeigh

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Wisconsin
I still have one once in awhile. They have no power over me anymore, though. I can enjoy the cigarette and then go happily back to vaping. I think I have one every week or two. And if somebody doesn't like the way I smell after smoking, they can just use the legs that God gave them and move away from me --same as I do when I run into someone who obviously bathed themselves in perfume and hairspray that morning. ;)

dleerl

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2009
MA
Well, I'll put my last comment in before leaving this forum for good. I just sold all my equipment and supplies because I simply couldn't make the switch. I knew I would have to use snus or something else in addition to vaping in order to become analog free and the whole thought of staying addicted to nicotine just didn't sit well with me. I'm tired of being hooked on nicotine. I know how harmful smoking is and it's time for me to do something about it. Switching to other products that still keep me addicted isn't the way I want to go. Everyone has to make their own choice about these things and I'm not judging the choices you have made, by any means. I've just spent so many years having nicotine dictate what I do and when I do it, and even going this route it takes a fair amount of money to support it. In time there will be clinical evidence so that everyone will know exactly what happens to us when inhaling these products. Right now we aren't sure. We do know that we are not going to get the harmful effects from smoking cigarettes but we don't know the effects from inhaling the eliquids. Hopefully they are less harmful. They appear to be but time will tell as empirical data is collected.

I want to thank all of you on the forum for all the helpful information I have found here thanks to you. You are a great group of people and I have enjoyed reading your comments and benefited from your knowledge and insightfulness. I wish you all well.

When you say a situation or a person is hopeless, you are slamming the door in the face of God. ~ Charles L. Allen

BHedge

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
texas
First of all, I have several menthol smokers in my family, and they stink just as badly as the rest of us, imo.

I was trying to finish up my carton of analogs, it was sunny outside and warm for once, so I was enjoying the day, reading my book and told myself I would burn through as many as I wanted. But I couldn't, cause after 4 of them my throat and nose hurt and I remembered that was another reason why I wanted to quit cigs. I can't smoke as much as I want....and I smoke lights.

Also, I hate having to schedule my appointments around when I can smoke a cigarette. Ok...I can smoke because I'm not going anywhere important, or no...I have to wait because I've already showered and I can't get stinky before my appointment.

It's so nice with vaping not to have to worry about any of that. I can vape all the way up to my appointment. No waiting all day, or wearing my stinking clothes for a few hours, then showering and dressing and then going out.....it was so stressful.

I can sit in the sun and vape as long as I want now. Or inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread