I drilled a big hole in my new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
VfPbYYVfEGuB7jhz9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VfPbYYVfEGuB7jhz9
I just bought a new aspire nautilus (5 hours ago and saw a video with some guy telling how to drill bigger air holes . So I took (apparently) a drill for wood and started drilling.. And drilling and drilling lol.. Now I found out that I have ruined the air flow due to the heat from the drilling, the air flow ring got stuck.. Really stuck.. So I took a bigger drill and started drilling again.. At this point I was very sad due I had just bought the aspire nautilus and looking back this was a dumb idea (I am not a handy man).. And if you look at the picture (link above) you can see my new tank with a big hole in the middle lol ...but guess what.. The air flow is perfectly fine.. But don't do this unless you have a good idea about what you are doing..

Attachments

• 15339890142861148496862.jpg
    15339890142861148496862.jpg
    811.9 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Did you choose to do this because you couldn't find an atty that you liked with the airflow options that work for you?

Glad to hear it still works. The heat probably didn't help anything, but you probably pushed some of the metal from the airflow ring into the base, through the hole you drilled, and fused it all together. Light pressure and the proper bit (and a little water poured over the hole every once in a while when drilling, to keep the heat down) would be advised if you plan to do such a modification again. Just go slow and let a nice (new and sharp ideally) drill bit made for metal do the work.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
The ring is stuck because you drilled it...while mounted. the burr left behind is the problem.... next time take the atty appart before drilling. Don't drill through moveable parts to make holes in other parts.

Good thing is those atties only cost $5. So ypu can get another... might suggest a nautilus X or something with more airflow than the OG NAUTILUS ypu have.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
Did you choose to do this because you couldn't find an atty that you liked with the airflow options that work for you?

Glad to hear it still works. The heat probably didn't help anything, but you probably pushed some of the metal from the airflow ring into the base, through the hole you drilled, and fused it all together. Light pressure and the proper bit (and a little water poured over the hole every once in a while when drilling, to keep the heat down) would be advised if you plan to do such a modification again. Just go slow and let a nice (new and sharp ideally) drill bit made for metal do the work.
Yes I did it due to (sorry for the spelling, I am Danish) the air flow was to tight, and the other tanks I have bought (with good air flow) could only use subohm coils .
Another thing is that the aspire nautilus is a 5ml tank and due to the new laws, here in Denmark we can only buy 2 ml...
It seems like you know a little about this subject, I will definitely take your advice and have them in mind next time . Thanks for the answer.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017
The ring is stuck because you drilled it...while mounted. the burr left behind is the problem.... next time take the atty appart before drilling. Don't drill through moveable parts to make holes in other parts.

Good thing is those atties only cost $5. So ypu can get another... might suggest a nautilus X or something with more airflow than the OG NAUTILUS ypu have.

Thanks for the answer, I will look into this nautilus x.

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017

Great advice thanks

mortenhy

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2017

What is "atties"? Is it the bottom of the tank? Do you know where to buy spare parts like o rings etc? Tried Pink mule without luck .

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've drilled big holes in my tanks on multiple occasions, most notably when I've dropped them, it's a glass tank, and I get this gigantic raggedy airhole that I was NOT expecting to have, but it's all good. And by that I mean, airflow is improved but only for a short time.

LOL, the only airhole I am considering DRILLING is into the Berserker RTA, which I would of course obviously get the husband to do that, just because it would be a lot easier for HIM. I'm considering it thoughtfully because I really love the Berserker but got tired of the draw being so tight, it detaches my dentures from my mouth, and that's annoying. It's otherwise great.. LOL.

Welcome and congrats on your successful experiment and I hope you like it better that way. Etc.

Anna

Reactions: mortenhy

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I have been known to drill a hole or two in the occasional tank, and I have ruined a few of them along the way. If yours still works, you are ahead of that. I do agree, though, it's usually better to just get one that works the way you want it to, Unfortunately, I can't make a recommendation because I don't use tanks like that any more. Thanks for the photo; it's been a while since I've seen an old Nauti like that one.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
VfPbYYVfEGuB7jhz9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VfPbYYVfEGuB7jhz9
I just bought a new aspire nautilus (5 hours ago and saw a video with some guy telling how to drill bigger air holes . So I took (apparently) a drill for wood and started drilling.. And drilling and drilling lol.. Now I found out that I have ruined the air flow due to the heat from the drilling, the air flow ring got stuck.. Really stuck.. So I took a bigger drill and started drilling again.. At this point I was very sad due I had just bought the aspire nautilus and looking back this was a dumb idea (I am not a handy man).. And if you look at the picture (link above) you can see my new tank with a big hole in the middle lol ...but guess what.. The air flow is perfectly fine.. But don't do this unless you have a good idea about what you are doing..
Nothing wrong with that job at all, have you seen the Gatemouth Kayfuns that are sold?
91bee3daa9e4c56f5efeb03be2f65516.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What is "atties"? Is it the bottom of the tank? .
A "juice attachment" or "juice delivery device" is any device which has a heating coil which can vaporize e-liquid when powered by a battery or battery device.

One of the first words you'll read about is "atomizer", or "atty" for short. This word can be confusing to many novices, because it can have different meanings depending upon the context the word is used. It can be a generic catchall word meaning any and all juice attachments. It can also be a synonym for the heating coil itself such as a drop-in replacement coil for a clearomizer. It can also refer to a more specific juice attachment, like a "510 drip atomizer" or a "rebuildable atomizer" (RBA).

A "tank" is an attachment with a reservoir for the e-liquid in addition to a coil. These typically have glass or clear plastic to easily see the level of the e-liquid. This can include a clearomizer, cartotank, or a RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer).

A "clearomizer" is a tank which uses factory-made, drop-in coils.

A "cartotank" is a tank which uses factory-made cartomizers. (One of the first tanks, not common nowadays)

A "rebuildable tank atomizer/RTA) is a tank that uses DIY homemade (rebuildable) coils and wick.​

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread