• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

I find myself at a loss....

Status
Not open for further replies.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
I find myself at a loss for words when I read of other's experiences. I'm touched by the courage survivors, families, caregivers all have, and the determination to get through it. I'm so very humbled by that.

I participate in Relay For Life every year. It is held here at the high school track and ball field. And I cry every time I make the survivor's lap around the track. I make 1 lap for each time I've beaten cancer--by the Grace of God. There are hundreds of people cheering you on, giving you encouragement. People who don't know you personally, but have known and experienced what cancer can do themselves, loved ones, and friends.

At Relay For Life a few years ago, I was very honored to be chosen as one of the torchbearers for the memorial ceremony. It was my 5 year milestone, and I wanted to walk the entire mile around the track. The gentleman who was a torchbearer with me didn't know me, but pushed my wheelchair behind me in case I needed to stop walking during the lap. He was also a survivor, and I have the higest respect and admiration for him for doing that. His support made such a difference. Long distances are difficult for me, but I was determined to make it. Thank God--I did make it.

Words can't express how much I admire the many people who refuse to give in, and give up. Each battle with cancer is unique to each person, yet there is the common ground of support and determination.

Thank you all for sharing your lives here. It means more to me than words can say.

Last edited:

smiley7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
Missouri
Truckin Lady, my best to you! Great success. I also was in a Relay for life program at our highschool/track field a few years back. It is an awesome experience. We put a group together & helped put it on. I took my children with me & they also helped. We were there all weekend. It was a great experience. Anyone that hasn't voluntered for something like this should do so. It's a moving experience. Continued Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread