The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I find myself at a loss....

Discussion in 'Cancer Survivors and Loved Ones' started by trukinlady, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. trukinlady

trukinlady Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Feb 24, 2010
    Missouri, USA
    I find myself at a loss for words when I read of other's experiences. I'm touched by the courage survivors, families, caregivers all have, and the determination to get through it. I'm so very humbled by that.

I participate in Relay For Life every year. It is held here at the high school track and ball field. And I cry every time I make the survivor's lap around the track. I make 1 lap for each time I've beaten cancer--by the Grace of God. There are hundreds of people cheering you on, giving you encouragement. People who don't know you personally, but have known and experienced what cancer can do themselves, loved ones, and friends.

At Relay For Life a few years ago, I was very honored to be chosen as one of the torchbearers for the memorial ceremony. It was my 5 year milestone, and I wanted to walk the entire mile around the track. The gentleman who was a torchbearer with me didn't know me, but pushed my wheelchair behind me in case I needed to stop walking during the lap. He was also a survivor, and I have the higest respect and admiration for him for doing that. His support made such a difference. Long distances are difficult for me, but I was determined to make it. Thank God--I did make it.

Words can't express how much I admire the many people who refuse to give in, and give up. Each battle with cancer is unique to each person, yet there is the common ground of support and determination.

Thank you all for sharing your lives here. It means more to me than words can say.

2. smiley7

smiley7 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2009
    Missouri
    Truckin Lady, my best to you! Great success. I also was in a Relay for life program at our highschool/track field a few years back. It is an awesome experience. We put a group together & helped put it on. I took my children with me & they also helped. We were there all weekend. It was a great experience. Anyone that hasn't voluntered for something like this should do so. It's a moving experience. Continued Good luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.