• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Survivors Mom

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Texas
Just needed to get this out so here goes...

I belong to a Facebook support group for Esophageal Cancer Awareness. I joined it not too long after my son's diagnosis. There's so much information to gain there, but the support is amazing. For the most part and for obvious reasons, it's a sad place. So many losses over the 3 years I've belonged to the group.

There's been a few standouts for me, all three are survivors and so helpful to the people that are fighting the disease and their families as well. One in particular, Dan, was such a huge inspiration to my son. He always walked in the Relay for Life walks and put the names of other warriors and those lost on his t-shirts he wore on the walks. My son's name was on one of his t-shirts.

A few months ago he was diagnosed with cancer of the brain and neck. I can't imagine winning the battle against esophageal cancer and then starting the fight for life all over again. But he did. He did a Relay for Life walk 3 or 4 months ago (after the diagnosis) and the only names he put on his shirt were those that didn't win the fight. He honored them and their loved ones completely that day.

Here's the shirt he wore that has my son's name on it.

relay4life.jpg

Today he lost the battle and I'm overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread