• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

I fit right in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Hello all;
I just discovered this group and I think its great! I've been "challenged" for most of my life. I lost my right leg below the knee to cancer at age 3. But I've never let it stop me from doing what I wanted to do. (At least when my limb isn't falling off or floating away down river! :)) Life is precious, make the most of it!

I hope to get to know many of you here. I'm sure we have a lot in common!:)

Take care and I'll see ya on the boards!

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA
We have 3 kitties - all rescues. Mr. Morgan (my son's 15 yr old cat), Fine' (my daughter's 15 yr old cat) and Oreo (my 4 year old cat)

We used to have bunnies - there was Chloe (who actually was male), Beebop (my bunny) and Jazz (my daughter's bunny) - hence my name.

Then there was Beetle juice who was an American Box Turtle - when my daughter was 8 he was about 23. We had him until 2006. She was 26 so Beetle was about 41.

My avatar is Dakota - Australian Shepherd - the best dog ever.:wub:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Welcome to Wrecked and Bonkers! I am sorry to hear about your leg..and at such a tender age! But I have to hear about the floating limb!

Cancer survivors

I posted your site in the Women's Room. It's a nice idea..tell us more about it! You are also welcome to post about your sub forum in the Women's Room. Are family of cancer surviors welcome too?

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
beebopnjazz;

You are just like me! I have 4 fur babies (doggies) and 2 kitties--all rescues.
I have a .... hound, black lab, shar-pei, and a mini dachsund. My kitties are gray tabby.
I never had kids, so they all are my "fur children".:) And my sis has an Aussie, too. I love animals!

MaryKay;

Thanks for the welcome! And for posting my group in the Women's room! I'm glad to be getting the word out. Oh yes the group is for families, too. Anyone whose life has been touched by cancer in some way. I've actually had cancer 3 times, and survived it by the Grace of God. I'm working on a blog about my experiences. Hopefully I can finish it soon!

About the floating limb: I've had so many funny things happen to me over the years! :)
I had gone on a camping trip by the river with some friends. We were on an inner tube floating on the river, when I realized my leg was floating. Curious, I really had to push to get it underwater. My own personal floatation device! Thankfully it didn't come off (this time), but if I hadn't grabbed it when I did, it would have! :)

As a child--I was about 11 years old when this happened: I was roller skating when my limb actually did come off! :D The strap holding it on broke-- it came off, and started rolling down the rink all by itself! ROFL! Thankfully, I had great balance then, so I rolled on one leg to where it had hit the wall and fell over, wheels spinning. I'll never forget the look on people's faces! Some were so startled to see it roll by, they lost their balance and fell down! (Glad they weren't hurt!)
My sis came over to help me. I couldn't put it back on until I had made it to the seating area. I got the strap fixed, and the next weekend, I was back at it again.

I've had a lot of funny things happen over the years. I would much rather laugh about my "disability" than cry over it!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Take care, and I'll see you on the boards!:)

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
beebopnjazz;

You are just like me! I have 4 fur babies (doggies) and 2 kitties--all rescues.
I have a .... hound, black lab, shar-pei, and a mini dachsund. My kitties are gray tabby.
I never had kids, so they all are my "fur children".:) And my sis has an Aussie, too. I love animals!

MaryKay;

Thanks for the welcome! And for posting my group in the Women's room! I'm glad to be getting the word out. Oh yes the group is for families, too. Anyone whose life has been touched by cancer in some way. I've actually had cancer 3 times, and survived it by the Grace of God. I'm working on a blog about my experiences. Hopefully I can finish it soon!

About the floating limb: I've had so many funny things happen to me over the years! :)
I had gone on a camping trip by the river with some friends. We were on an inner tube floating on the river, when I realized my leg was floating. Curious, I really had to push to get it underwater. My own personal floatation device! Thankfully it didn't come off (this time), but if I hadn't grabbed it when I did, it would have! :)

As a child--I was about 11 years old when this happened: I was roller skating when my limb actually did come off! :D The strap holding it on broke-- it came off, and started rolling down the rink all by itself! ROFL! Thankfully, I had great balance then, so I rolled on one leg to where it had hit the wall and fell over, wheels spinning. I'll never forget the look on people's faces! Some were so startled to see it roll by, they lost their balance and fell down! (Glad they weren't hurt!)
My sis came over to help me. I couldn't put it back on until I had made it to the seating area. I got the strap fixed, and the next weekend, I was back at it again.

I've had a lot of funny things happen over the years. I would much rather laugh about my "disability" than cry over it!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Take care, and I'll see you on the boards!:)

One of my best friends also has a prothetic leg! People's rudeness about it never ceases to amaze me..BUT she's GREAT!

She was in somewhere where they had a shark exhibt. Can't remember where. Anyway, there's THAT chick who is just GLUED to her leg, (just below the knee), and she gives her the STARE right from the beginning of the tour.

So, Tanya bides her time and when they get close to the shark tank, she pretends to get all nervous and puts her hand up. Well, there's no 'asking questions' yet, but buddy answers her. Tanya asks, "Um..they can't get out of there can they? I mean, they don't JUMP, do they?"

Of course, the guy says that no, they don't.

Tanya?

MY BUDDY??

Says, "Oh, well THAT'S a relief, I wouldn't want to go through THAT again!!"

Ms. Rude Pants turned her head so fast, she was surprised her head was still attached to her neck!!

BUT, the BEST was in junior school. There was a bully. You know the one, don't you? Yes! That's right! The one whose knuckles scraped the ground! Never gave Tanya any hassles, but was handing it out to one of the smaller ones in the cafeteria line up. Well, Tanya had been having a bad day, told her to stop it and she didn't. So, what's a girl to do? Why, TAKE OFF YOUR LEG AND SMACK HER UPSIDE THE HEAD WITH IT!

WAIT! NOT the best part!!

The BEST part was when she turned to me and said RUN! We DID. I was halfway up the stairs when I realized the futility of our flight from justice. Then, I just COULDN'T follow along because, well, I was laughing WAY too hard.

GREAT IDEA TANYA..THEY'LL NEVER KNOW IT WAS YOU...

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
My great Uncle Charlie lost his leg and an eye in some war..nobody ever talked about it. But Uncle Charlie loved to swim in the lake and had fun teasing us kids about the gator taking his leg! It would have been kind of funny concidering everytime he told the story it was totally different...except for the gator that lived in my Aunts lake! Another Uncle always threw in a cows leg from his ranch to keep the gator busy while 20 kids and adults played in the lake.
It was years later I found out gators save their food until it gets 'Ripe".
*Uncle Charlie lived to be 98 and was always the most 'Up" person I ever met.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
One of my best friends also has a prothetic leg! People's rudeness about it never ceases to amaze me..BUT she's GREAT!

She was in somewhere where they had a shark exhibt. Can't remember where. Anyway, there's THAT chick who is just GLUED to her leg, (just below the knee), and she gives her the STARE right from the beginning of the tour.

So, Tanya bides her time and when they get close to the shark tank, she pretends to get all nervous and puts her hand up. Well, there's no 'asking questions' yet, but buddy answers her. Tanya asks, "Um..they can't get out of there can they? I mean, they don't JUMP, do they?"

Of course, the guy says that no, they don't.

Tanya?

MY BUDDY??

Says, "Oh, well THAT'S a relief, I wouldn't want to go through THAT again!!"

Ms. Rude Pants turned her head so fast, she was surprised her head was still attached to her neck!!

BUT, the BEST was in junior school. There was a bully. You know the one, don't you? Yes! That's right! The one whose knuckles scraped the ground! Never gave Tanya any hassles, but was handing it out to one of the smaller ones in the cafeteria line up. Well, Tanya had been having a bad day, told her to stop it and she didn't. So, what's a girl to do? Why, TAKE OFF YOUR LEG AND SMACK HER UPSIDE THE HEAD WITH IT!

WAIT! NOT the best part!!

The BEST part was when she turned to me and said RUN! We DID. I was halfway up the stairs when I realized the futility of our flight from justice. Then, I just COULDN'T follow along because, well, I was laughing WAY too hard.

GREAT IDEA TANYA..THEY'LL NEVER KNOW IT WAS YOU...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type!! :lol::lol:
GOOD FOR HER!! I wish I'd been there to see that!!

Some people are very rude, I agree!! And I have no use for bullies!! That really takes be back to my own childhood. I wish I would've had the nerve to do something like that! I'll bet the other girl never bullied people anymore!

Your friend has a great attitude! I admire that! She doesn't let anything stop her from living a full life. I'd like to hear more about your friend! It's a shame we can't ever meet!

Last edited:

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
My great Uncle Charlie lost his leg and an eye in some war..nobody ever talked about it. But Uncle Charlie loved to swim in the lake and had fun teasing us kids about the gator taking his leg! It would have been kind of funny concidering everytime he told the story it was totally different...except for the gator that lived in my Aunts lake! Another Uncle always threw in a cows leg from his ranch to keep the gator busy while 20 kids and adults played in the lake.
It was years later I found out gators save their food until it gets 'Ripe".
*Uncle Charlie lived to be 98 and was always the most 'Up" person I ever met.

Hi MaryKay!

Your Uncle sounds like another person I wish I could have met! I really admire people who have such an upbeat attitude.

A GATOR??! I would have been terrified!! (After I saw the movie Jaws, I wouldn't even go swimming in a lake!) And we lived in Colorado at the time!

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
The first time I saw Jaws was in Fort Collins, Colorado! We drove down from Cheyenne. We were in the same state at the same time..how cool is that?

You know that gator was pretty old I think. We did all sorts of things in my childhood that any sane parent would forbid now. I used to ride my friends horse bareback along a highway...I don't know how to ride BTW!
I used to climb oaks to get at the mistletoe to sell it in the winter. Those trees were 200 years old and huge!

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
OH MY GOSH!!!! I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type!! :lol::lol:
GOOD FOR HER!! I wish I'd been there to see that!!

Some people are very rude, I agree!! And I have no use for bullies!! That really takes be back to my own childhood. I wish I would've had the nerve to do something like that! I'll bet the other girl never bullied people anymore!

Your friend has a great attitude! I admire that! She doesn't let anything stop her from living a full life. I'd like to hear more about your friend! It's a shame we can't ever meet!

Yup, she's a nutter! One more (quick) story. One night, we went to a bar, (strange, considering neither one of drinks..hmmm..), and there's some chickie there with 'I-JUST-GOTS-TO-LOOK disease sitting at a table with her friends.

I'll admit, I got a LOT more miffed than Tanya did. (I'd had a relatively bad day). So, after an HOUR of so of non-concealed ignorance, I had it. So, I took my bad-... self, (all 5'3", 100 pounds of me!!), over to her table. I leaned over and said, in a VERY cultered, QUIET voice, that I was terribly sorry to hear of her mother's passing.

She informed me that her mother was still alive.

My comment was as follows, starting off at a genteel volume and hitting a shout at the end..

"Oh! Well, I just assumed that she MUST be dead, after all, I can't imagine ANYONE TEACHING HER CHILD THAT IT'S ALRIGHT TO SIT OVER HERE ALL NIGHT AND STARE AT MY FRIEND!!!"

Luckily for MY skinny ..., she was mortified beyond belief and apologized. Tanya, on the other hand, has a laugh that could drown out an F1 race car in 5th gear and was using her gift, at full volume.

Yeah, we just left after that....

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
The first time I saw Jaws was in Fort Collins, Colorado! We drove down from Cheyenne. We were in the same state at the same time..how cool is that?

You know that gator was pretty old I think. We did all sorts of things in my childhood that any sane parent would forbid now. I used to ride my friends horse bareback along a highway...I don't know how to ride BTW!
I used to climb oaks to get at the mistletoe to sell it in the winter. Those trees were 200 years old and huge!

I lived in Colorado Springs!! We moved there the summer of 1972. After my parents divorced in 1976, my Mom & I moved to Missouri to be near her family.

Oh yes, I can relate to childhood antics! At 16, I went four-wheeling once in the back of a pickup truck with no safety gear to speak of. This was when four-wheeling meant driving your 4x4 pickup up steep hills, down into little canyons, and right through big mud puddles (I actually think they were little lakes!:)) There I was, sitting on the wheel well, almost getting bounced out several times. It's a miracle I didn't bounce out get run over!
Do you remember riding our bikes without helmets or knee pads? Or actually being able to walk to the corner store by yourself for candy? Listening to actual record albums on the record player? The brand new invention the VCR? We thought it was a big deal to have a touch-tone telephone!:)

Ohhh those were the good old days!!

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Yup, she's a nutter! One more (quick) story. One night, we went to a bar, (strange, considering neither one of drinks..hmmm..), and there's some chickie there with 'I-JUST-GOTS-TO-LOOK disease sitting at a table with her friends.

I'll admit, I got a LOT more miffed than Tanya did. (I'd had a relatively bad day). So, after an HOUR of so of non-concealed ignorance, I had it. So, I took my bad-... self, (all 5'3", 100 pounds of me!!), over to her table. I leaned over and said, in a VERY cultered, QUIET voice, that I was terribly sorry to hear of her mother's passing.

She informed me that her mother was still alive.

My comment was as follows, starting off at a genteel volume and hitting a shout at the end..

"Oh! Well, I just assumed that she MUST be dead, after all, I can't imagine ANYONE TEACHING HER CHILD THAT IT'S ALRIGHT TO SIT OVER HERE ALL NIGHT AND STARE AT MY FRIEND!!!"

Luckily for MY skinny ..., she was mortified beyond belief and apologized. Tanya, on the other hand, has a laugh that could drown out an F1 race car in 5th gear and was using her gift, at full volume.

Yeah, we just left after that....

That's too much!!!!:lol::lol: At least she had the good sense to apologize! Some people don't even do that!

I remember one time I went swimming at an indoor pool in Colorado. They provided lockers to put your clothes in while swimming. So, I took off my limb, and put it in with my clothes. (I was good at hopping everywhere in those days!) I hopped over to the door of the locker room to wait for my sis, and a few minutes later I heard a woman scream at the top of her lungs: "There's somebody's leg in here!!" I had taken the key to the wrong locker!! I heard my sister try to calm the lady down by explaining it was artificial. I really don't know what happened after that, I was too embarrassed to stick around! :oops::D

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Heh, heh, ummm, my mother is urging me to recount Tanya and I's first 'sleep over' at my house. We were 12. I guess I had forgotten to mention to my mother that she had a prothetic leg. Well, T was a bit of a 12 year old at the time, so when she got undressed in the upstairs bathroom for bed, she pretty much just dumped all her clothes on the floor. Yup, leg still inside pants, sock and shoe still on.

My parents come up for bed, and my mother turns the light dimmer down so as not to shine a SPOTLIGHT down the hall when she opened the door. She screamed for my dad SO loud that we came on the run, (and hop) to defend the Maclean household, armed, but not legged.

My mother took one look at us and said she'd spotted a spider.

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Your Mom was sharp! That was nice of her not to embarass Tanya!

When we had sleep overs my parents let me have the Florida room ( family room with lots of windows to you norther's) My dad just hated them because he had to get dressed everytime he left his room. But in the morning he made all my friends get dressed for Church and hauled us all to our Local Catholic Church..mom bringing my sister and the rest in the other car. We were all sleepy and kept nudging each other to stay awake when one girl is woken up by dad and she stood up startled and yelled..but I am Jewish! You never saw 7 nuns spin around in their seats so fast in your life! Poor thing refused further invites to my sleepovers..even if we did have pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread