I found this Bloomberg article....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
I'm absolutely disgusted by it. In the second paragraph they say, "Are e-cigarettes, which come in such flavors as chocolate and butter rum, a benign device to help people stop smoking? Or are they just a new way to feed an old addiction? How safe, compared with tobacco smoke, is the vapor they create?"
With all those questions, they fail to provide an answer for them. They simply say, and I quote, "No one knows."
Why even post an article if you (or anyone for that matter) doesn't know anything about them besides the fact they exist...
It does get better in the article though, but its still a joke.
[h=1]Vaping May Be Hazardous to Your Health[/h]Even the title is misleading and fear-mongering.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Right now it's the wild west when it comes to vaping though. It means there's lot of good potential for excellent products and a high-level of competition. At the same time it also means people may be jumping in to make a quick buck without any concern to the health and safety of consumers. We're guinea pigs in a real-world lab at the moment. Remember, before alcohol was regulated it was being cut and sweetened with things like anti-freeze. And in today's hyperbolic environment thanks to 24hr news cycles and the web - the bad apples will get talked about more than the quality producers. And, unfortunately, it's too early to tell which is which in some cases. At least, thats the way I see it. :)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Right now it's the wild west when it comes to vaping though. It means there's lot of good potential for excellent products and a high-level of competition. At the same time it also means people may be jumping in to make a quick buck without any concern to the health and safety of consumers. We're guinea pigs in a real-world lab at the moment. Remember, before alcohol was regulated it was being cut and sweetened with things like anti-freeze. And in today's hyperbolic environment thanks to 24hr news cycles and the web - the bad apples will get talked about more than the quality producers. And, unfortunately, it's too early to tell which is which in some cases. At least, thats the way I see it. :)

Considering that vaping has been established in this country alone for 6 years, with over a million+ plus vapers and not one reported major health incident, there really is little to be concerned about.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Considering that vaping has been established in this country alone for 6 years, with over a million+ plus vapers and not one reported major health incident, there really is little to be concerned about.

Six years is nothing. It takes a lot more than six years for up and coming industries to establish rules, regulations and lobbyists. This industry is still in its infancy by any standard. Besides, it'll only take one bad e-liq producer to poison a few people for the nay-sayers to try to rain down hellfire.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Six years is nothing. It takes a lot more than six years for up and coming industries to establish rules, regulations and lobbyists. This industry is still in its infancy by any standard. Besides, it'll only take one bad e-liq producer to poison a few people for the nay-sayers to try to rain down hellfire.

They are raining down hell-fire now. How many people get sick and/or die from the flu vaccine, from Chantix; from food poisoning, from alcohol, etc? Reasonable people understand that almost everything we do as humans have a certain level of risk. It's a matter of an activity having a "reasonable" risk level. Vaping has a much lower risk level to date than all of the items I listed. Let's not blow it out of all reasonable proportions.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
They are raining down hell-fire now. How many people get sick and/or die from the flu vaccine, from Chantix; from food poisoning, from alcohol, etc? Reasonable people understand that almost everything we do as humans have a certain level of risk. It's a matter of an activity having a "reasonable" risk level. Vaping has a much lower risk level to date than all of the items I listed. Let's not blow it out of all reasonable proportions.

When do people act reasonably towards something new that they don't understand? I understand the point you're trying to make and agree that it should apply in a perfect world. Unfortunately, I'm trying to interject some reality. It's you're choice to accept it.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Some bottles of solution meant to refill e-cigarette cartridges have been found to contain enough nicotine to kill an adult if ingested.

lol... not exactly a shocking feat when 60 mg will kill you. That's a 30 mL bottle of 2mg/mL.

"Have been found" ... like it was a revelation when they read the friggin label of ANY ejuice.

All electronic cigarettes are flavored, so to ban flavoring would be to ban the product entirely.

Oh really? All of them eh? Such ignorance.

And I still can't wrap my head around how they are going to tax ecigs. Like all the hardware? Or just the nicotine?

Last edited:

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I wouldn't be too alarmist folks. If a ban happened a lot of people would still want to DIY. I don't think they could ban that. Or the sales of the individual parts and chemicals. They gonna ban batteries and filament materials? Seriously, the genie is out of the bottle. The authorities/decision makers and regulators know it. They just don't know what to do with it. So, naysayers, busy-bodies and the like are trying to make their mark on the issue through hype. Maybe we should quit putting hits on pages of disinformation or try to counter it with facts but you're not going to stop it. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread