I had to (photo intensive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

myownslave

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2009
Colorado springs
And yes i know im a smartass.:D:D saw the juicebox and have been needing something with a little more umph than i have been getting lately so i dropped by radio shack.

4AA battery holder: $5.50
2x 4 packs of push buttons (got normally closed circuit the first time): $8.00
1 pack of juicy juice boxes: $2-4 (dont remember)
NiMH battery charger w/ 4AA and 4AAA: $29
4 pack of 9v adapters: $2
rca cord and double female adapter in junk drawer
milk jug, just finished/rinsed out (for reinforcing case strength)

the AA batteries are in series, rated at 1.2v each 2500 Mah ea, are testing at about 5.5v with a fresh charge and in series still 2500 Mah (if i want to chain vape i just take a battery out and bridge that one spot for about 4.2 fresh to 3.5 depleted volts) lasts me over 1.5 days.:thumbs:

i know its a little large, fits in my inside jacket pocket perfectly and produces great vapor with 801 atty, been using it for a week and its still in one piece.:rolleyes:

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

Napir

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nicely done! I've been wondering about normal rechargeable batteries for awhile now. Didn't think I could get the amperage though.

Question for ya, is there enough room in the battery holder to pass the wires from the top, through the center to the bottom?

Looks like an ideal spot to place an atty connector.

myownslave

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2009
Colorado springs

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I like that box. been using one for about a month with TI step-up to 5V. Runs all day long.
Looks good, but where's the atty/switch at?

At the bottom of your pic, under the the 2 screws is there enough room (eliminating the USB connector) to squeeze in a batt connector and switch, being able to simply use 4 batteries?

Charged

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Bloomfield, NY
Charged, you know that booster fits really nice under the switch/usb cover. the internal board has a spot for a led also.

I saw there was room under the board but.... The regulator is a step up so for 5V regulation I only need 3 batteries. I want to cut a section out of the circuit board where the switch is now and solder a KR8 connector there. Momentary switch will go back-side above the belt clip to power the KR8 connector. Then i'll have the best of both worlds, USB pass-through (always powered) or cartomizer manual switch.:thumbs:

Charged

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Bloomfield, NY
Looks good, but where's the atty/switch at?

At the bottom of your pic, under the the 2 screws is there enough room (eliminating the USB connector) to squeeze in a batt connector and switch, being able to simply use 4 batteries?

4 batteries just don't cut it. Yes they start out at around 5 volts full charge, but not very long and they are down to between 4.3 and 4.5V (just not acceptable to me). connector and switch coming shorty.

Sorry myown didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Charged

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Bloomfield, NY
looks like this is going to be my next attempt at a mod. i truly do like the nimh rechargeables mainly because i can get em at either nearby walmart at any time of the day 364 days a year

After bragging how the 3 batts work all day with the step-up, I took some measurements. The (3) 1.2V batteries do work well for a while (depending on useage) then it gets a little strange and you probably won't notice but.... As the batteries drain you will get 5V out for 3 to 5 seconds (enough to get a hit) then regulator drops out and gives you about the level of the batteries 3.5 to 3.8V. Now that I see this (darn it anyhow) I'll be switching over to some li-ion batteries in the same box.

radwor

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
san diego
I won't say I told you so. But if your going to do it, do it right and put 4 li's in series and tuck the booster under the board. Gut the battery from the a pass-thru and install a switch in it's place, then you will be good to go with a killer portable set up.
After bragging how the 3 batts work all day with the step-up, I took some measurements. The (3) 1.2V batteries do work well for a while (depending on useage) then it gets a little strange and you probably won't notice but.... As the batteries drain you will get 5V out for 3 to 5 seconds (enough to get a hit) then regulator drops out and gives you about the level of the batteries 3.5 to 3.8V. Now that I see this (darn it anyhow) I'll be switching over to some li-ion batteries in the same box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread