I have a silly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrubOhm

Mar 23, 2019
Fl
I'm sort of new to vaping. I have a vape with an internal battery for now but I want to know more about external batteries for the future vapes I might try. I watch a lot of reviews on YouTube and they have yet to explain this.

Why do some vapes have external batteries, but also a USB charge port? Because everywhere I've seen shows the rechargeable 18650 batteries and a portable charger for those batteries. So would I have to take them out to charge them or do they charge inside the vape via the USB? I'm a little confused lol

Reactions: Opinionated

ShrubOhm

Mar 23, 2019
Fl
I don't have an answer to your actual question, but I would never use a USB port on my computer to charge anything. I'm not sure what could go wrong, but that computer holds stuff that I could almost never replace.

What? I'm talking about the chargers that come with the vape mods. The mini USB ones? The USB side goes into the wall charger.. Lol I know I said I was silly, but come on. Every vaper from day 1 drilled it into my head to use a specific amp wall adapter, I would never plug my vape into my computer.

Reactions: Opinionated

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I'm sort of new to vaping. I have a vape with an internal battery for now but I want to know more about external batteries for the future vapes I might try. I watch a lot of reviews on YouTube and they have yet to explain this.

Why do some vapes have external batteries, but also a USB charge port? Because everywhere I've seen shows the rechargeable 18650 batteries and a portable charger for those batteries. So would I have to take them out to charge them or do they charge inside the vape via the USB? I'm a little confused lol

You can charge removable batteries internally via the USB port but it is always better to charge them externally.

The port is also there to download updates for the firmware on regulated devices.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Its mostly for when you're out and away from your charger. Or I suppose if you haven't got a battery charger....:w00t:
Like this weekend i'm going away. Not taking my charger with, as its mounted on the wall. I'll just use my power pack to charge my batteries in the mods through the USB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heartsdelight

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
When I first bought a Pico about 18 months ago I plugged its charging cable into it and charged it from a wall socket, but I kept an eye on it "just in case" ( me being big on safety and all that ) - it charged OK but it got very warm which I didn't like, so ever since I've taken the batteries out ( I now have 6 Picos ) and charged them on my "intelligent" ( by its own account anyway ... and for three years it has done OK ) charger.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

The USB provides the ability to update the firmware in your mod, as well as gives you emergency charging capabilities if your away from your home charger and are going dead.

External batteries as a whole are quite nice because instead of going dead, you just change out to fresh batteries, but of course there are always people in the world who don't take fresh batteries with them just in case, in case happens so the internal charger provides these especially bright people a back up means of vaping when in case happens.

so there you have it! :)

Lalli

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2018
You can plug your mod to computer with usb for charging, it's slow but no other problems at all. And slow charging is usually better for batteries I think?

I charge my batteries inside mods all the time and never had any hassle or problems. I'm just too lazy to take the battery in and out every day. Also I don't think that 15$ charger is any way safer then 30$ mod.
I have done this 3 years now, so far so good.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't have an answer to your actual question, but I would never use a USB port on my computer to charge anything. I'm not sure what could go wrong, but that computer holds stuff that I could almost never replace.
"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups."

Something is bound to go wrong sooner or later, whether you use the USB ports on it for charging or not.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
What? I'm talking about the chargers that come with the vape mods. The mini USB ones? The USB side goes into the wall charger.. Lol I know I said I was silly, but come on. Every vaper from day 1 drilled it into my head to use a specific amp wall adapter, I would never plug my vape into my computer.

You’d be surprised how common that used to be though. So it’s really not a bad reply.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree with those who have posted. Repairing a computer, especially a laptop is far more expensive than the $30 you'll spend on a good 4 slot charger.

For USB charging in a car, buy a cigarette lighter/accessory port USB adapter instead of using the USB ports that come in modern autos. If you trash the plug in USB adapter, it's cheap (and the lighter jack it uses for power is designed for high amp operation).

Last edited:

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

You’d be surprised at the number of people who do and end up crashing their pc’s.

The micro USB is for firmware updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread