I have approached my supervisor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

humarock

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2010
MA
My supervisor is the BEST in the world, he is a casual smoker(and a techy type of person) and in our bi-weekly team meeting I mentioned what I was doing...and yeah I got some off side remarks and as a support person, went into my 'teaching mode' and explained to everyone about E-cigs and alot of them just got real quiet and listening....my supervisor wanted to know if I wanted him to approach management about it. I work for a HUGE company, won't disclose, BUT it would be a huge deal I'm sure...and unsure if I want him to approach them, but they have a huge push on getting healthy and I'm thinking this might be a great thing to introduce them to....what are your thoughts on this....we are all over the USA and Canada and I'm thinking this might be a great way to share.....thoughts?????:unsure:

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
I would say go for it and keep your fingers crossed.

My company had ALREADY considered vaping before I asked and were good with it. Imagine my surprise!

But they are an intelligent lot and had already realized that employees who don't use tobacco are healthier, are liable to have less sick days, don't take "smoke breaks", cost less to insure, etc. There just wasn't a downside in managements eyes.

One can only hope your company has the same sort of intelligent management.

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
I agree, I have seen this situation go well and go bad...I vape on breaks just like I used to smoke and I feel it's none of my employer's business !

Yes, but..... Even if Humarocks employer said "no", he would STILL be able to vape with the smokers and it would be none of his employers business. Imagine if the huge company wakes up and realizes how much it might save by not only allowing, but promoting vaping. Oh wait... huge company almost always equates to idiotic management by tiny minded people on equally tiny minded power trips.

PowerofParanoia

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
San Marcos, TX
Hmmm...First one huge company, than another huge company.....health care costs lowered due to less tobacco related illnesses...hmmm . I see good things here...and possibly major corporations to help re:FDA stuff ???? Just a thought.

I like the sound of that.
Too bad I'm studying to become a teacher, I highly doubt that any child's parents would want someone smoking or vaping around their children.
Usually parents go into protective mode when they hear anything related to tobacco, and I don't blame them.

It would be nice to know that I'd be able to vape in a designated area away from the students though. Like in some teacher's lounge in the back of the school.

One can be hopeful. :p

lisabsn

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Chicago IL
My practice manager knows and I did a few test hits in her office. Stealth vaped in bathroom but decided that I have been going without all day for 3 years so why do I need to do this at work. Co-worker had rough day the other day and commented that she might just dig my 510 out of my purse and go for it. She is a non-smoker. Smoking co-worker asks everyday what flavor I'm doing today. All are proud of my giving up the cigs.

humarock

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2010
MA
Well, I approached our "health advocates" that just HAPPENED to be on site....they are doing the whole "walk around the building with your co-workers, and exercise at your desk" drills and my super brought her over and we chatted, she said 'oh that would fall under tobacco..." so I sat her down and explained it all to her, told her that if they where looking to get us 'health concious" this would be a GREAT way to help the smokers....the jury is still out....I did pen an email to my big boss but haven't sent it yet. Would like to do a presentation to my co-workers on this new technology so that they too are aware....I'm doing it on breaks and talking to them outside of work as well....the word will get around...we'll see what happens....and yeah, I hear the idiotic management on tiny power trips thing....it is amazing how a top 100 company can be so closed minded sometimes...but our company is really trying to listen to their ee's and they have been voted the #1 and #2 company to work for for the past 5 years, so progress does take time and persistance....oh yeah and a 'squeaky wheel' (that being me...hee hee hee)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread