I just popped two LR attys doing dry burns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgeiger002

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Tampa, FL
Is a "dry burn" a good idea when it comes to LR attys? ...I just blew two of them out. Granted both did not seem to have the coil "red" the whole way through. So maybe both were on their last legs. I just want to be careful in the future if dry burning LR attys is recommended?

edit: I only allowed the coil to just start to get red and then let off. I did not hold the button down for anymore than 5 to 7 seconds each time.

Last edited:

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
5 to 7 seconds is long on an LR. After a dry burn you should let them cool. Hitting them w/juice right after can thermal shock those little buggers. I have a LR306 that popped about two weeks ago. It is still going strong right now. Try this if it is a 306. Remove bridge and wick. slightly pinch coil together w/tweezers. If break is in the coil this will get it going again. Best of luck

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
depends on the atty I think. I have popped a few LR 510 from eliquidplanet. Haven't popped one from eastmall yet, and I dry burn them every couple of days. Been doing this to them for quite a while now. Not 5-7 seconds, sometimes it takes about 30 sec or so to get a good glowing red. I just lightly blow into the atty while doing it. I suppose some attys are built to take more of a beat'n than others. Sure wouldn't have thought eastmall's would be the most durable as cheap as they are, but I am starting to really like them.

kgeiger002

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Tampa, FL
5 to 7 seconds is long on an LR. After a dry burn you should let them cool. Hitting them w/juice right after can thermal shock those little buggers. I have a LR306 that popped about two weeks ago. It is still going strong right now. Try this if it is a 306. Remove bridge and wick. slightly pinch coil together w/tweezers. If break is in the coil this will get it going again. Best of luck

Thanks - they were both 510 attys and both had been neutered (no bridge)...oh well - it is what it is.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
In my experience, it seems that attys last longer in general if no type of cleaning is carried out on a routine basis. I found that once an atty is on its way out, it may be extended slightly, but what is slightly equal to? I just revert them to 5V vaping which grants me X longer life. They weren't designed to last forever and in retrospect cost mere pennies, yes pennies a day when properly cared for.

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
In my experience, it seems that attys last longer in general if no type of cleaning is carried out on a routine basis. I found that once an atty is on its way out, it may be extended slightly, but what is slightly equal to? I just revert them to 5V vaping which grants me X longer life. They weren't designed to last forever and in retrospect cost mere pennies, yes pennies a day when properly cared for.

I second that. I've tried all kinds of cleaning methods, and I've tried to resurrect dead or dying attys with little to no luck. But most of my attys, when I do nothing to them, last at least a few weeks. I don't have a 5v mod, though. Do dying attys really bounce back at higher voltage? I am awaiting a 3.7v/6v mod, but I don't have the batteries to make it 6v. I wonder if I should get some, so I can extend the use time of my old, tired attys.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
If it's an EastMall or a Cisco, dry burn away. Both of those LR atty brands will take a dry-burning like a champ. Any others, and your mileage will seriously vary.

I have been dry-burning my Cisco 306 daily for about a month, and I have had NO ISSUES with it. I routinely dry-burn my EastMall LR's as well, and have yet to pop one inside of a month.

As a rule of thumb though, you shouldn't have to dry-burn that often, unless you're using some seriously shady juice. If you have the wick still in an LR atomizer, you really don't want to dry burn, as you'll toast that thing in no time.

ComaKid

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Pennsylvania
Ive been using the same Eastmall LR-510 for a little over two months. During that period, Ive dry burned and washed it out with water about every 10 days. Its still going strong.

But in the past I have poped some LR's from dry burning. It all depends on the method of dry burning and the quality of the atty coil.

basilray has a youtube video showing his method of dry burning and I pretty much do the same.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Is a "dry burn" a good idea when it comes to LR attys? ...I just blew two of them out. Granted both did not seem to have the coil "red" the whole way through. So maybe both were on their last legs. I just want to be careful in the future if dry burning LR attys is recommended?

edit: I only allowed the coil to just start to get red and then let off. I did not hold the button down for anymore than 5 to 7 seconds each time.

Did you soak the atty in anything like PGA, Vodka, Vinegar, etc before Dry Burning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread