I love smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCRich2204

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Texas
Like you, I don'I'm want to quit. Like some here, I'm finding the transition to vaping to be more difficult than I think it should be. I see that plenty have made the transition relatively easy.

I'm here to find out why I'm having so much trouble. I'm a light smoker. Pall Mall menthol, Less than 7 cigarettes a day. I've tried several ecig variations & nothing comes close to the simple experience of a single cigarette.

The fake cigarette looking jobs don't settle the nerves, like I'm not getting equivalent nicotine regardless how many drags I take.

I just bought a Millennium E-Go. Tried an 11mg kiwi flavor & I couldn't taste anything. Now I'm on a 24mg Apple Sin flavor & while the taste is great I woke up with the worst throat ache I ever experienced. After 1 day.

I had been on the patch for a little more than a month. 24mg & only smoked 1 cigarette a day for the last two weeks.

Lurking here I've come to realize there are many ways to create my own liquid that may solve the throat aches... but it sounds too confusing & I'm afraid ill be experimenting for a long, long time.

I tried the non inhaling method, keeping the smoke out of my lungs but still find myself craving at least one cigarette.

Inhaling gets me closer to the smoking experience I enjoy.

Any of you guys have difficulty making the switch? What was your EurekAlert moment?

Last edited:

Gresh11

Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
SW VIC near Hamilton Australia
I love inhaling too. The more the better. You are on the right track with upping your nic intake. Maybe give 36mg a try. I was never a menthol fan but really like to vape it. I had a dream transition to vaping though. Loved it from the start but still weaned myself from cigarettes over a fair while. For the first couple of weeks I had one ciggy every night and then to every second or third day and at a couple of months in would still have one a week or 9, 10 days. I would have it and really dislike it though. Lots of vapers go through the sore throat experience but you should get over it soon, like 3 or 4 days hopefully. My biggest concern was when my teeth got sore, this too only lasted 4 or 5 days. Since you only smoke such a small amount your throat is not as toughened up and abuse as many of us that smoked more. I hope that a bit of perseverance rewards you. Its worth it!!

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Yup, too much nic for a light smoker like yourself. You might want to get some of that Apple Sin you like in a 12mg mix. Inhaling is fine, if you don't have a problem with it. It made me cough really bad when I first started, but I finally made the transition. Ditch those patches if you're gonna vape or you're double dipping on the nic. If you have to have a smoke in your transition period, don't beat yourself up about it, just consider all the ones you DIDN'T smoke. Good luck and get your vape on!!

When I quit analogs (10 months ago), I had been vaping before that, but it just wasn't satisfying enough. The real difference for me was when I moved to a mod where I could turn up the voltage. The throat burn was what I liked/craved. I moved from an eGo to a Visio Spinner where I could turn up the voltage. I also used eliquid flavors that would give me a better throat burn (like cinnamon). It was also a big mental battle for me. I would always go outside to smoke analogs, and even though I could vape inside, I would go outside to vape, so I could still get the 5 minutes of peace and quiet where nobody needed me! Gradually, I just started craving the e-cig and the smell of analogs made me a little queezy. Not sure if that helps, but just thought I would share!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I only smoked about 7 cigarettes per day myself, but I did that for 27 years.
And the hardest thing for me about switching to vaping was the fiddling and the inconsistency.

The thing that solved all my problems was dripping...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...405910-regular-atty-drippers-dying-breed.html

Another good thing about dripping is that it helps simulate the "single cigarette" experience.
At least it did for me, and has been working great for well over four years now.
:)

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I smoked for 35 years and had a hard time quitting. Hard enough that I quit several times just to torture myself. But, I loved smoking. Quitting and failing all those times made be feel better about myself, I guess. Hey, at least I was trying to do something to save myself from suffocating to death from smoking like my Mom did. It took her eight years to waste away and die from emphysema. I love smoking.

So, I started vaping in November of 2011. It wasn't that bad. The 24 mg tobacco flavored juice was OK, I suppose. I diddled around vaping hoping that it would be easier for me to quit smoking that way but I just ended up smoking a pack a day and vaping instead of smoking a pack and a half a day and not vaping. I loved smoking.

Six months later I asked myself if I really wanted to quit smoking or was I just fooling myself? Now I was smoking and vaping. I thought vaping was OK but I loved smoking. So I quit smoking again. This time I threw the last pack into the garbage bin with the lighters. I didn't have to throw any ashtrays away because I did that years ago in one of my many other attempt to quit. I had been using empty Coke and Coors cans as ashtrays since then. That was nice. I loved smoking.

Well, this time quitting stuck. I felt like garbage for the first three days and then it got better. I was sucking away on that little eGo-sized E-Power 14650. I learned to like it more after I stopped burning cartos and learned to keep them filled by topping off. All of that burning polyfill or whatever it was reminded me of smoking and I loved smoking. The major brand tobacco juices I used reminded me of that bottle of hair tonic barbers used to splash on my head when I went for a haircut. That was the sixties. I hated haircuts.

After a few more weeks everything I bought from the juice vendors began to taste like hair tonic or cheap bulk candy so I quit vaping the flavored junk and mixed my own unflavored juice. I had mastered carto vaping and was no longer burning them to a crisp. Now, that was a nice vape. Why didn't I think of vaping unflavored before instead of vaping all of that hair tonic?

I love vaping.

vin cecil

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Pasco, FL
The soar throat will go away pretty fast, at least for me. I think it has something to do with the vape crossing your cig-uped throat. I started with 36 mg, and just through trying diff flavors and strengths, i find it hard to handle 18 now. This is only a few months later.

At first, i did not agree with big apv products, id rather a cig a like, until my cig craves went away and i wanted to say 'improve' my vaping experience with things like battery life and better quality flavors. Opinion here..

My thing was that the cig a likes were the last string holding me to smoking, once i switched, i have no urge to go back

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
First, I understand what you're going through. When I started, I started with "cigalikes" (Ecigs that look like cigs). 18mg was a good starting level. However, stopping the analogs was not an instant thing. Keep this in mind: Analogs have more in them than just nicotine. Chances are, you're addicted to other chemicals in an analog cigarette. When I started Ecigs, I went from a pack a day to three per day, and that was without trying hard. The trick is, try vaping when you feel the need to smoke, and see how long you can vape before you just have to get a real cig. Don't view smoking a cig as a failure at that point, just try to beat the time between cigarettes the next day.

Second, I noticed you smoked Menthol cigarettes. Perhaps you should get a menthol ejuice or add menthol to your flavors. I would start off with something somewhat similar to a regular cigarette, since every time you vape, you'll have that mental thought in your head "this is not a real cigarette"

And lastly, keep note you will experience some temporary side effects of quitting smoking... for a brief time, your cough may worsen as any tar loosens from your throat. Some withdraw symptoms may appear, perhaps your headaches are one of them, but they could be because of the high nicotine levels. Take some headache medicine, and lower the nicotine levels and see if that helps. Lastly, try a flavor that you like. most of us go through a lot of ejuice before settling on one of their "go-to" juice. buy small ammounts, but buy a wide assortment of flavors. Take note of the type you like and let that steer you into what kind of juices to buy in the future. I went from smoking Doral orange to Ry4 to Guava. After adding it up, I've vaped about 500ml of guava now. I too notice that when I vape, the flavor becomes muted, so I will buy guava, then when my tank is half full, I refill the rest with bananna, then when that gets half full, I refill it with strawberry.... but the flavor is constantly changing, and constantly flavorfull to me.

Keep at it and experiment with it, there's more options out there than just smoking one brand/flavor of cigarettes. Now you need to find your E-cig version of smoking.

Free6413

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Spring, Texas
I was never a menthol smoker when I was on the smellies. I bought my first setup and found that I loved the minty flavor over all others. I dropped the analogs right away because I wasn't smoking and the flavor reminded me of that. I was a 2+ PPD smoker for over 35 years. I started with 24 mg juice and the necessity to strangle somebody was not an issue at all. I loved smoking too. Everything I did (or didn't do) was all around being able to smoke. I hated the movies because they ran too long and if I ran out and choked one down, the movie didn't make sense when I got back. Crazy huh? This is how strong the need to smoke drives us in our actions and thinking. There is a choice we have to make at one point or another and that is if we are really going to stop smoking or not. The nicotine addiction can be handled through vaping and therefore it becomes a matter of just dropping the analogs and leaving them behind. This has to take place in the mind. Until this change in thought takes place, there is little hope of kicking the habit. That is exactly what it is, HABIT. Once you do drop the cigs completely, you will see how much better life becomes. I am battling a case of loss of taste right now that I hope will pass but I still won't go buy another pack just because of this. I know it can't be as bad as I felt before. I have breath now and I have more stamina to do thing I have always wanted to but didn't have to capacity of breath to attempt. Now I can outlast my 13 yr old son when we go for walks or bike rides. Why would I give that up. If you stay with it and keep after it, you will find your sweet spot and dropping the analogs will be just a matter of just doing it.

tvigne

Dec 26, 2013
UK
'...I too notice that when I vape, the flavor becomes muted, so I will buy guava, then when my tank is half full, I refill the rest with bananna, then when that gets half full, I refill it with strawberry.... but the flavor is constantly changing, and constantly flavorfull to me'.

NealBJr, I like this idea. I have separate clearomizers for each flavour but I believe I will give it a try.

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
Nobody loved smoking more than myself. I'm not going to go thru a dissertation of the whens, whys or wherefores. Suffice it to say I smoked for over 60 years (1.5 packs a day) and never thought I would ever quit. Bought an EVOD kit Nov. 1, 2013. Started using it on Nov. 2 and I have not even thought about an analog since. I am one lucky old fart. Still have 7 packs of Sky Dancers in my garage.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
I only smoked about 7 cigarettes per day myself, but I did that for 27 years.
And the hardest thing for me about switching to vaping was the fiddling and the inconsistency.

The thing that solved all my problems was dripping...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...405910-regular-atty-drippers-dying-breed.html

Another good thing about dripping is that it helps simulate the "single cigarette" experience.
At least it did for me, and has been working great for well over four years now.
:)

I've been dripping Boba's all morning with a Smoke 510, honestly, if all my other gear didn't exist, I'd be fine with this. Everyone kind of looks down on them, but they work just fine, they just don't have a tank on 'em.

Think I'll switch to a 5 Pawns now...I love cartos, but you can't switch like that, it's a commitment until the liquid is used up.

mackgattack

Dec 19, 2013
Chevy Chase
I enjoyed reading the OP post and replies here and I can totally relate...

I don't want to quit smoking but I know I need to quit as I don't want to destroy my health. I started with Blu ecigs from gas stations (garbage) but it wasn't satisfying and a good friend from online recommended I get a Provari with a Protank and just try it. I loved it and shortly after purchased my first Genesis atomizer.

Now, almost 9 months later, I have a collection of 5 mods and a handful of rebuildables, drippers, etc and I love it. I've cut down my smoking from over a pack a day to only a handful of cigarettes a day.

The only thing preventing me from making the full committed switch is finding the right juice that I can vape nonstop and not get sick of (I've tried a ton and most are either too flavorful, not enough, or just plain bad). 710, White Rabbit and CREAM are sufficient and I love them but probably not 100% ready to eliminate cigarettes. I hope to be ready soon though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread