I Love you Mooch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I will be honest, I never concerned myself much with batteries. I mean batteries are batteries right? How technical could it be? I thought those were the worries of high watt/sub ohm vapers. Certainly not for the guy, who my vape shop calls "stuck in 4 year old technology" lol.

However, I recently got a new Aspire Speeder so could check out temp control and noticed some interesting things. I should have bought new batteries when I got it, but I have like six of them laying around so I didn't bother. The speeder happens to have some very good info on the screen, like being able to see wattage, voltage and amperage in real time. And being able to see what the batteries are doing. I notice the batteries were not discharging at the same rate and I was having horrible voltage sag. And when the batteries got down to about half charge the mod was just doing weird stuff. Wouldn't hit the wattage I wanted and in temp control it just wouldn't come up to temp sometimes. Plus temp control mode was kind of spotty. Sometimes it would be weak, other times over powered. So I figured maybe it was time to buy some new batteries and a decent charger.

I knew of Mooch because of the Taste Your juice web site and videos. I figured I would do a search on youtube and see what he had to say about chargers. After watching about 6 hours or so of interviews with Mooch I discovered I was pretty ignorant about batteries and that batteries are not just batteries. Didn't find out much about chargers though. Sounds like they are hard or at least time consuming to test. And he doesn't really use the low end chargers we would since he has better equipment.

After watching the interviews I started to look into exactly what my batteries were. I bought most of them from local vape shops over the years. A few might have came with kits. I think my crappy Trust Fire charger came with a kit as well. Most of these batteries I assumed were decent 15 amp batteries. I mean one of them I actually bought at the same time I got a mech and RDA. Never got any of my vape gear on the internet because I thought a dedicated vape shop would be more trustworthy and safer.

Turns out 3 of my batteries are actually panasonic PF batteries. According to Mooch's data they are "decent" 10 amp batteries, but nothing to write home about. Another was a also panasonic, but only rated for about 5 amps. The others are cheap Chinese batteries rated at 4 to 5 amps according to the specs I could dig up. Nothing I would consider useful in any modern mod, even at my low wattage vaping style (10 to 20 watts). And I can guarantee you at some point that 4 amp battery was in a mech with a .5 ohm coil. Now wonder I think mechs suck lol. I was probably hitting the button and the voltage was diving right to 2 volts or something. The funny thing is I still thought the vape at .5 ohm was too hot lmao.

So when I get paid at the end of the month I am going to order some VTC5A's and a new charger. Still deciding what charger I want. Gonna grab me a Digiflavor siren MTA and some stainless wire too I think.

So if you see this Mooch, I want to thank you tons for all the hard work and time you put into doing what you do. You really opened my eyes to the battery aspect of vaping. And you may have saved my life as well. I didn't know how important the wraps were on these things. I have a battery that is all torn up around positive end. I had no idea how dangerous this was. I was still using the thing like nothing was wrong with it!

You are also entertaining to watch, please start making some videos if you have the time.

Thank you for your kind words!
    Two videos are already up on my Battery Mooch YouTube channel. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread