I need some advice from you master coilers......

Status
Not open for further replies.

livingstonii

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2012
Riverton,UT
Alright, I've coiled a few rdas so far in my 6 months of rebuilding but I can't seem to find my sweet spot with this new atomizer. It's the zenith by cmii and it is sure a beauty.
uhy6ehab.jpg
now I've had the cyclone as my main dripper for these past 6 months and it's a piece of cake to get blowing clouds but it's a smaller deck and I'm use to managing fitting all I need in that but now I have all this room for a build and I don't know how to utilize it to make it hit like my cyclone. First I was not satisfied by the wicking. Get dry hits every few times or if I wasn't holding it right it would dry hit. Keep in mind I've only done dual coil builds so far. Tried one single coil and I felt like the air hole wasn't able to run over the coil so I've stuck with dual coil. So I did a build where I covered with cotton and it didn't dry but the hit and cloud effect wasnt there. This zenith is flat ribbon wire ready so I thought I would try that dual coil and didn't wick properly. I did a simple dual micro coil around a 1/16th drill bit at . 8 ohms and stuck the wicks off the deck and on the lead wires to hold up and it's been wicking OK. Dries more often then I was use to on the cyclone. All I want is a satisfying vape out of this zenith. Here's some pics of my current build.
y7esa5ap.jpg
ha9u6ube.jpg
6u6a4edy.jpg
alright a few specific questions. The afc holes on the cyclone were below the lead wire holes when I put the Cap on so I would have to move the coil down when building. Now the lead holes on the zenith are lower then the afc holes in the top cap so I'm guessing I have to bring the coils up from the lead holes to get good air flow? Follow up question how do you do your cotton to successfully wick the juice up to that coil since it's above the lead wire holes? I would love a successful single coil but it just doesn't seem like this atomizer likes single coils like my cyclone does. Anyways thanks In advance for whoever helps me. Been bothering me for three days not being satisfied with a $100+ piece of equipment. (I'm sure human error)

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
Yep, for me, a coil lined right up with the air hole = better. For wicking, have you tried just using a bed of cotton under the coils? That's what I've been doing with my Igo L and I like it a lot more. It looks like you have a nice large deck and drip well, some cotton right under your coils might help soak it up.

As for master coilers, well, hopefully someone else will chime in soon, I think your coils look pretty darn good.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Make sure your air holes are right in front (or below) the coils is what I find works best. I personally would have more cotton (or wick) - my cotton drippers always have plenty of cotton ears to fold it down and under the coils in order to get as much wicking as possible.

Given the height of the juice well I would have the coils pretty high (possibly the top of the coils above the posts).

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Your build looks solid - not sure I can offer anything there. Having just acquired some bottomfed cyclones, I hear ya on how simple it is to build a kick AYuss setup on it.

It does seem that air / coil relationship are the only variables left to tweak on your dual coil setup. :)

Spacedoutart

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Buffalo NY
I agree with Super X. Your coils do look great. Cotton Density looks great too(which is where most have issues!!!) Dual coils do eat up juice in a dripper faster, which means you will have to add more drops every 4 or 5 solid drags. Cotton beds in my opinion will hold more juice; however, it is harder for you to vape all of the juice in the bed. You could try using ekowool as it would hold more juice.

The only other things I could suggest with your build is to give your coils a little bit of an angle (like 30° to 45°) When tilting the coils have the coil from the center post as the lower end. This helps with most wicking problems I have found with dual coils.

livingstonii

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2012
Riverton,UT
Alright so I decided to go down to a single coil . 9 ohm build and have the air running to the middle of the coil. I decided to use the ears of the cotton to tuck under the gap between the coil and the drip well. I've noticed I don't run out of juice as fast before I drip again. I think I'll try a dual coil set up on Saturday and use the same idea. I appreciate the help I was having a hard time being satisfied since the switch of attys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread