I need your advice. What should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMC

Jan 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
Okay,

I'm 30. And I LOVE tobacco. I love it. LOVE. IT. I've smoked pipes and cigars since high school. Started smoking cigarettes in college, and dipping when I couldn't smoke. I managed to kick dip and cigs by returning to pipes/cigars (which isn't too terribly great of an alternative, but my wife doesn't mind the pipe smoke). My wife and I both also became hookah-heads in college (ah... the delicious flavor of a good hookah...)

But recently, I've welcomed my first child into the world. My beautiful daughter is 6 months old now - and despite the fact that I KNOW the smoke is bad for me... nothing in my life has ever motivated me to stop more than her. I refuse to smoke anything around her, or where the smell will get on anything she has contact with. Which has basically meant that I've stopped smoking. But I have a terribly stressful job, and I'm still addicted. So... I went back to dip. It's gross. I know it. The havok it's doing to my mouth is insane. I go through a can every day and a half. Sigh. And I need to stop.

At my folks place last weekend, my old man (a lifelong smoker trying to quit) showed me his new toy - a BLU cig. I'd seen "electronic cigarettes" before - but dismissed them. That FLAVOR. That FEELING of inhale and exhaling of the smoke... I had to have it.

But this vapor cig DID JUST THAT. I spent the weekend using it. Didn't dip ONCE. And I am hooked. I'm not too sure of the brand (I think it was a BLU, it had a nifty metal case for charging, a blue LED tip, and used drops to fill a sponge near the atomizer). So... I want to do this.

I started researching online and found these forums. I had no CLUE there was such a strong community of "vapor" users (HA, I learned something!) out there. And I'm impressed. So now down to my question:

I want to start vaping to replace my dependence on pipes/cigars/dip. But I just don't know where to start. My dad's e-cig had a push-button to activate the atomizer (and I kind of liked that). But, despite how much I enjoyed it, I wanted MORE vapor. Also (as a person who enjoys the hookah and pipes), I'd very much like some non-standard flavors; maybe sweet or fruity.

I'm willing to toss out $100 for a good starter kit or set. In your experience, what can you recommend?

Again, my touchpoints are:

1. LOTS of vapor.
2. Quality and Variety of juices.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ridicule? :p

Thanks, everyone. Can't wait to become an active member of what seems to be an amazing community.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
I would check out the mods if I were you. Just remember, in the world of vaping, bigger batteries are going to give you better hits. Lot's of mods(battery modification) out there in that price range. The setback(for most beginners) is that it will not resemble a cig in shape or size. But if you're like me, that mattered not. Just getting those great hits is what won me over.

To get an idea, here is a site to check out. Many others will chime in with their 2cents. PureSmoker.com - USA Electronic Cigarettes & USA Made eLiquid!!!

cshipman

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2011
South Carolina
I would say try to find you a Joye 510 or Ego as they should be around your price range and work very well, go with the manual (push button) so you can control your draw. You might also want to look at some of the 50/50 PG/VG juices as that will give more vapor with still some pretty good flavors. For the most Vapor you would want to look at 100% VG but the flavors can start to go weak with that much VG unless it is a "over ramped" juice that adds more flavor to account for the amount of VG in it.

shanewarne

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
Albany,NY
GMC,
You could start with ego models like joy ego or Riva. I am using Riva. You could get Riva for around $30 from Liberty flights. I recommend these two bcos of their battery. they last whole day without a recharge. And also dont forget to add LR attys in case you want to go for 3 piece and LR Boge soft caps cartos in case u want to go for 3 piece. You could get at decent price from liberty flights. These LR attys or cartos provide you enough vapor. I use LR boge cartos. Switched from 3 piece as I fedup with refills of the carts and also burnt taste. For juices, the best place to start is backwoodsbrew. If you want tobacco flavors then go for Virginia,Casablanca,Blast etc. You could get everything for $100 with all these included. For juices I recommend going for 5 or 6 10ml sample bottles from backwoodsbrew with ur choice of flavors. once u like stick to those flavors and order again otehrwise you would be wasting lot of juice. let mw know if you need anything else.

foggy1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
S F Bay Area
Welcome to ECF..save yourself some time and money and go to Liberty Flights
They have the Riva 510 for $30 w/ECF discount, it like an Ego w/ 750mha batt.
these will give you 6+ hours of battery time and a nice strong hit on 3.2 volts
haven't tried their juices yet but have seen good things said, only $2.99 shipping too
good luck and happy vaping worry free around the baby

aj83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Illinois
my 2 cents would be to look into a cheeper 5v box mod you can always find them on the classifieds usually with batts and charger. Than if you really stick with vaping spend the money on a bottom feeder like a reo or something similar. As far a juices go you cant beat fsusa's prices and selection I also really like halo juices but they are pricey

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
The verdict is not in on the new Blu. Their old 3-piece model was weak satisfied few for more than a month. The current model should be better but you are paying for a pretty looks and lies. A carto does not last as long as a pack of cigs. And we don't yet know what modek it actually is, nor whether they are selling the harder-to-refill hard cap or glued-on cap cartomizers.

If you want a slim unit - see this Library article about the two most popular models: 510 and KR808D-1
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...st-electronic-cigarette-first-time-vaper.html
And if you want a soft airy hit then also look at DSE901. Those are the 3 most popular and most supported starter models, but for anyone who is a heavy smoker or needs long battery charge life, it's better to look at the fat battery models of each of those (i.e. Ego or Riva 510, Riva 901, and for KR8 the Elegant Easy from CigEasy). The fat battery models also let you use LR (low resistance) attys and cartos which can provide a stronger hit.

I recommend 510-based for the most flexibility and most options, especially in the fat battery form (the most different atomizer and blank cartomizers etc). I recommend the KR8 for slightly better battery life in its slim form (because more of its length is battery since it is a 2-piece) and for people who want the convenience of prefilled cartomizers (they can be easily refilled some number of times if you get ones with soft caps - I think all of the ones at Vapor4Life are soft-caps but I am not sure. KR8 can also be configured as a 3-piece by using a 901 atty+cart or 510 atty+cart if you use an adapter.

And manual batteries are generally recommended - the button helps you get a better hit and becomes natural after about an hour.

Last edited:

Throat hit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
south warwickshire UK
I have only been smoking a personal vaporiser for a week but am a total tekky. After much looking I concluded the way for me was a pure smoker v3. It is not like a cigarette at all in looks. I chose it because it is simple and has no parts to go wrong. The batterys are easy to get and fit in torches and cameras. I pay about 2.5 dollars or 2 pounds uk for a pair of batterys much cheaper than standard e cigs. I smoked pipes and cigars as well as rolling tobacco. I am not sure what dip is but it sounds harsh. The v3 is expensive and not for everyone as some are happy with a lighter smoke.

I knew I needed a fat hit not so much nicotine but vapour the v3 will make you happy I am sure of that, at 18mg strength it smokes like a regular cigarette throat hit and vapour are excellent and that is with a second burn. Hold down the button and keep toking and it is insane how much vapour is released. When fully charged the cells I use measure 8 volts and the atomiser I use is a 510 VHV "very high voltage" and has a resistance of 5.5 to 6 ohms when cold. Other users have asked me to order them one to replace smaller units and have noted how much more vapour it gives you in use. All in all I highly recomend the pure smoker v3 It is machined to perfection and is built to last you even get a spare switch contact or two not that I can see it wearing out. If you want a light smoke or only smoke a couple a day steer clear but for heavy smokers it is the way ahead.

I see you are asking about different liquids as well so to respond I drip my liquid straight onto the atomiser thats the bit that gets hot and produces the vapour near the mouth piece. As such you drip liquid oftern and can use any liquid/flavour/strength currently out there. It pays if you have lots of flavours to use diffrent attys for each as ghosting can happen just like in a pipe. You can buy different colour metal tips called drip tips to identify each flavour and they are just a tube in shape so you can drip the liquid through them to the atty. Mine had a small bore so I drilled them out as big as I could so the drips of juice did not catch the sides and end up in my mouth. To me the tobacco flavours are not that much like regular tobacco flavour but hint at it and over the last week have grown on me . So far I love maple,tutti frutti ,irish cream, pineapple, pear and coffee espresso. I hated whisky hope this helps from one newbie to others enjoy your vape whatever it may be..

Last edited:

GMC

Jan 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
They have the Riva 510 for $30 w/ECF discount, it like an Ego w/ 750mha batt.
these will give you 6+ hours of battery time and a nice strong hit on 3.2 volts

I like this. I could get this and a lot of juice from BWB! Another question, then.

For the Riva, I see the 501 and the 910. What's the difference between the 501 and the 910 atomizers?

Also (I'm checking that I'm right on this), what I'm looking for are "blank carts", yes? Because I want to add my own juice? (and are the pre-filled carts even worth it?) While I'm at it, are "cartomizers" worth it? I'll probably be using this OFTEN, so will the cleaning of the atomizer make it too big of a pain?

GMC

Jan 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
I concluded the way for me was a pure smoker v3. It is not like a cigarette at all in looks. I chose it because it is simple and has no parts to go wrong. The batterys are easy to get and fit in torches and cameras. I pay about 2.5 dollars or 2 pounds uk for a pair of batterys much cheaper than standard e cigs.
Okay. I saw this online, and it looked spiffy (though perhaps a bit expensive for me to start out with). I really want that HEAVY vapor.

But to confirm, it's not rechargable? You'd need to put new batteries in? Also - is the atomizer built in? Or do I need to use cartomizers?

I am not sure what dip is but it sounds harsh.
Be glad. You might know it better as "snuff" across the pond. It's a fine-cut moist chewing tobacco (a course powder, really), that is put between cheek and gum. You have to spit regularly, and it will eventually decimate your teeth and gums. But man... it tastes great (LOL), and gives you quite the nicotine rush!

Throat hit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
south warwickshire UK
You use a normal lithium charger and cr 123a cells about 15 dollars for 8 with a charger from china off ebay. My last ones have lasted 3 years in my surefire tortch and they ony lit it for about half an hour so have had some stick. The batterys with built in buttons for regular e cigs are expensive and use electronics to switch the power from battery to atomizer as the actual swich used is a tiny microswitch which would melt carrying the current the atty uses around an amp or more in most cases. Also the cell inside is much smaller than the case it is in to allow for the switch and circuit which stops the cell from being overcharged or over discharged it is a protection circuit. This is built into the bottom of the cr 123a they are called protected lithium cells. when you push the vape button a fair amount of power is being used. I had a dead battery from a tornado handed to me the other day the electronics had gone.Replacement cost 15 dollars for one and only available from e cig vendors. You see what I am gettin at running costs.

As for the the atomizer it is shipped to take a 510 type which run hot and gives a lot of vapour. This simply screws on and off. As it is a high voltage device 6 volts and upwards "this is why you get a good load of smoke and throat hit" you use a 510 atomiser which has a higher resistance than normal. Mine are labled HV or VHV high or very high voltage. You can use a cartrige with them but you will soon be direct dripping as it gives a more consistent vape than the cartrige. My girlfriend was going to spend 50 dollars I said no way get a good one she did and thanked me for it. Now her mates are buying the v3 and chucking the smaller low voltage e cigs in the bin. In two weeks I have orderd 3 units one only yesterday. It is truly a great pv and can be used at 3.7 volts if you find the need so really best of both worlds. Using adaptors you can use all the different types of atomisers like the 801/901 as well. Look at some of the reviews on the web for it you will see the clouds of vaper and know what Im on about. If you get one and hate it PM me and i will buy it off you It wont be long before someone else here needs one. Whatever you buy good luck and happy vaping kind regards Rob in the uk.

Last edited:

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
GMC, for a modest investment, you can get the Riva 510 from Liberty Flights. To get a better hit, and for convenience, try the Boge 510 2ohm cartomizers. (total cost $38). It is an excellent starting point. Then, start experimenting with juice. When you figure out what juice you like and what things would make your vaping better, then it's time to look into spending $100-$200 on a good mod.

Personally, I wanted more convenience, so I went with a bottom fed box mod, a REO. I don't regret buying my eGo (Riva) at all.

Shining

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Houston
I like this. I could get this and a lot of juice from BWB! Another question, then.

For the Riva, I see the 501 and the 910. What's the difference between the 501 and the 910 atomizers?

Also (I'm checking that I'm right on this), what I'm looking for are "blank carts", yes? Because I want to add my own juice? (and are the pre-filled carts even worth it?) While I'm at it, are "cartomizers" worth it? I'll probably be using this OFTEN, so will the cleaning of the atomizer make it too big of a pain?

I use both carts and cartomizers. I drive almost all day for my job so the cartomizers I use during the day at work so I don't hvae to worry about running out of juice. The carts and dripping method I use while at home.
I have been working 14-15 hours a day for most of last week and carried both Riva 510's with me fully charged and both cartomizers full and never got thru the first one. I use the Boge 510 2ohm cartomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread