I smoked for 16 years..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashy

Aug 26, 2018
16 years. Damn! Sure, compared to many others around here, that's a drop in the .... bin. I just try to put it into context, you know, for myself, the fact that I smoked something between 130,000-200,000 cigarettes in my time. Pile that up infront of you, & picture it, going into your lungs.. Damn!

Hi, I'm Hashy, no relation.

Now over the 2 month mark off the ciggies, & so so appreciative of vaping! Never have I been so determined, nor confident in my ability to kick the habit for good, & the vape has helped me form a solid foundation for accomplishing just that.

I probably started smoking because I thought it was 'cool'. Rebellious. I was 14. My family was absent. My friends apathetic. I was the nerdy kid. The not too bright nerdy kid who doesn't actually know skyte, everybody just thinks he did. Attention, I craved that far more than I ever realised... What better way than to do this then to start killing myself, one puff at a time. Insanity!
Respect? Nobody. Least of all myself. & that kind of attitude brings self improvement to a grinding halt.

Fast forward from that dull & dreary existence, I find myself today on the precipice, & there's only one way down. Trust, & a cloud of mysterious white vapour will break your fall. Sweeeeet man...

Don't get me wrong. It's not easy. Change never is. But change never stops. It's one of the certainty's of life you can always count on, right after death & taxes.
After all, it is half a lifetime of something I ascribed far too much importance.

Okay enough with the fancy talk. If you've made it this far, good on you. Or poor you. Why do you do this to yourself?

I'm Australian. From 'Straya. Born & bred here in the Mountains, westernmost of Sydney. One of the most beautiful parts of the entire planet, hands down, & I welcome all to come & visit this magical place sometime in your life. It hardly disappoints.

I'm so so thankful to be off the smokes. Although I have found it hard getting into vaping, there seems to be a limitless number of things that I have to wrap my head around, almost enough to turn me off, but perseverance always rewards.

I did first give vaping a go about 3 years past when there seemed to be a surge in popularity. I found it interesting, however I wasn't really making a serious quit attempt. I tinkered with it for a couple of months, but in the draw it went, for 3 years.
I turned 30 this year. & I told myself for awhile that from then I would begin planning a serious attempt. & so I did. Somewhat. The first deadline rolled around, & I had made no progress. I had not cut down or anything. So I set another goal, & I opened that draw & thought 'This could be it. What do I have to lose?'
I bought some new juices, coils & clearos. I supplemented my smoking with vaping, & began cutting the smokes.
From 30-40 per day, down to 15. Then 12. Then 8.
However I did find that going any less than that was difficult. I kept bouncing up & down for a week. I decided I would leave that there, & when the next quit date rolled around, I would jump off.

A friend gave me some good advice about what time of day to quit. In the past, I reasoned that stopping first thing of the morning after waking was the best idea, however that never really worked for me in the past, so I took his advice instead. I had my first few of the day, & then I bagged up all my remaining tobacco, & left the house. I threw all of it away in a bin at the shopping centre. Figured I might go diving back in for it a couple of days later if panic set in. This way was relatively assured.

From the moment I left my house that day, I was a non smoker. I was a vaper. A cloud chaser. Part of a mystery, to those that find themselves uncurious of how the world changes in the most profound ways. Something that will spare the lives & needless suffering of MILLIONS, & the significance of that is unnoticed by so many. Again, a mystery.

Well, here I am. I hope to be part of this wonderful change in the world. I hope to share this change with all of you, learn & grow & then sleep because damn I am tired right now I just cut my nicotine another 20% lol. <3

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Congrats on making the transition! We all got here different ways, and there's no hard and fast rule on this stuff. The main thing is vaping enough to satisfy any cig cravings, and finding they do go away with a good vape. Certain circumstances can trigger the desire for a smoke even after stopping for some time. That's normal and it will recede.

For now enjoy being free of smokes, and feel free to ask anything that might help improve your vaping experience to keep you satisfied.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
16 years. Damn! Sure, compared to many others around here, that's a drop in the .... bin. I just try to put it into context, you know, for myself, the fact that I smoked something between 130,000-200,000 cigarettes in my time. Pile that up infront of you, & picture it, going into your lungs.. Damn!

Now over the 2 month mark off the ciggies, & so so appreciative of vaping! Never have I been so determined, nor confident in my ability to kick the habit for good, & the vape has helped me form a solid foundation for accomplishing just that.

I probably started smoking because I thought it was 'cool'. Rebellious. I was 14. My family was absent. My friends apathetic. I was the nerdy kid. The not too bright nerdy kid who doesn't actually know skyte, everybody just thinks he did. Attention, I craved that far more than I ever realised... What better way than to do this then to start killing myself, one puff at a time. Insanity!
Respect? Nobody. Least of all myself. & that kind of attitude brings self improvement to a grinding halt.

Fast forward from that dull & dreary existence, I find myself today on the precipice, & there's only one way down. Trust, & a cloud of mysterious white vapour will break your fall. Sweeeeet man...

Don't get me wrong. It's not easy. Change never is. But change never stops. It's one of the certainty's of life you can always count on, right after death & taxes.
After all, it is half a lifetime of something I ascribed far too much importance.

Okay enough with the fancy talk. If you've made it this far, good on you. Or poor you. Why do you do this to yourself?

I'm Australian. From 'Straya. Born & bred here in the Mountains, westernmost of Sydney. One of the most beautiful parts of the entire planet, hands down, & I welcome all to come & visit this magical place sometime in your life. It hardly disappoints.

I'm so so thankful to be off the smokes. Although I have found it hard getting into vaping, there seems to be a limitless number of things that I have to wrap my head around, almost enough to turn me off, but perseverance always rewards.

I did first give vaping a go about 3 years past when there seemed to be a surge in popularity. I found it interesting, however I wasn't really making a serious quit attempt. I tinkered with it for a couple of months, but in the draw it went, for 3 years.
I turned 30 this year. & I told myself for awhile that from then I would begin planning a serious attempt. & so I did. Somewhat. The first deadline rolled around, & I had made no progress. I had not cut down or anything. So I set another goal, & I opened that draw & thought 'This could be it. What do I have to lose?'
I bought some new juices, coils & clearos. I supplemented my smoking with vaping, & began cutting the smokes.
However I did find that going any less than that was difficult. I kept bouncing up & down for a week. I decided I would leave that there, & when the next quit date rolled around, I would jump off.

A friend gave me some good advice about what time of day to quit. In the past, I reasoned that stopping first thing of the morning after waking was the best idea, however that never really worked for me in the past, so I took his advice instead. I had my first few of the day, & then I bagged up all my remaining tobacco, & left the house. I threw all of it away in a bin at the shopping centre. Figured I might go diving back in for it a couple of days later if panic set in. This way was relatively assured.

From the moment I left my house that day, I was a non smoker. I was a vaper. A cloud chaser. Part of a mystery, to those that find themselves uncurious of how the world changes in the most profound ways. Something that will spare the lives & needless suffering of MILLIONS, & the significance of that is unnoticed by so many. Again, a mystery.

Well, here I am. I hope to be part of this wonderful change in the world. I hope to share this change with all of you, learn & grow & then sleep because damn I am tired right now I just cut my nicotine another 20% lol. <3
do you want another 'right turn' in the maze of rabbit holes? there are many apps for stopping smoking,, personally I dont need tools to help me,, but i do like to look at my savings every few days. today / right now,, the app says $11109.66 saved NOT smoking based on my old consumption rate of cig's nearly 3 years ago,,,,,,,,,wow! that's enough to buy a decent used car. it has settings for you to monitor several areas that may or may not interest you. when I run across smokers interested in my vape I always show them my app,, and let them know my vaping now costs about $6-$8 a month and I would be considered 'a heavy vaper' (says i have avoided 40398 cigs as of today too)

anyway,, enjoy your journey :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.horner.ronald.cessationnation

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I look at it as...

For 50+ years I LOVED smoking cigarettes...because I LOVED (for who knows what reason) inhaling/exhaling "smoke" and getting a hit of nicotine...

After switching to e-cigs...I now LOVE vaping...because I LOVE (for who knows what reason) inhaling/exhaling "smoke" and getting a hit of nicotine...

(Only, now, I'm NO longer exposed to the 4,000+ harmful/carcinogenic substances in cigarette "smoke", my breath/clothes/car/home no longer smell and I've saved quite A LOT of money.)

If you'd like to monitor your money savings...you could use kross8's handy-dandy app...or...just click on my banner and use your own numbers...

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF and congrats on switching to vaping, that's fantastic.

I was the 3 ppd smoker who was going to be buried with a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, I was pretty sure. I also didn't quit the first time I encountered vaping either, but what matter is, you have! Congrats and well done.

I remember my first miraculous smoke free day and then further down the road, the fact that I did not MISS smoking. I quit for 18 months pregnant and vaping, and I wanted a cigarette in much the same way on day 18 months when I had one, as on day 1, when I didn't. That's the truly miraculous part, and I've had my ups and downs including falling off the wagon pretty hard right after a year. But ECF was there for me then, and ECF is there for me now.

Welcome aboard the ship of sanity. :) There's a lifeboat for everyone on the ship :)

Anna

Hashy

Aug 26, 2018
I look at it as...

For 50+ years I LOVED smoking cigarettes...because I LOVED (for who knows what reason) inhaling/exhaling "smoke" and getting a hit of nicotine...

After switching to e-cigs...I now LOVE vaping...because I LOVE (for who knows what reason) inhaling/exhaling "smoke" and getting a hit of nicotine...

(Only, now, I'm NO longer exposed to the 4,000+ harmful/carcinogenic substances in cigarette "smoke", my breath/clothes/car/home no longer smell and I've saved quite A LOT of money.)

If you'd like to monitor your money savings...you could use kross8's handy-dandy app...or...just click on my banner and use your own numbers...

I loved smoking (cigarettes) too. I don't think everybody actually does. I reason this because I smoked cigars a couple of times a year. I would get a craving, & I would buy a few different kinds. Most smokers I knew never did this, they just smoked cigarettes because they needed the thing they needed from it & nothing more.
I knew I was up against this fascination while facing quitting, & so like yourself I've found myself loving vaping. Enthusiasm makes a big difference! =)

When I stopped smoking, I plugged all my numbers into this 'Strayan government-sponsored spy..Ehhh, QuitBuddy app (My QuitBuddy). But your sig banner looks grouse, I'll have to give that a go, thanks for the tip =)
fyi, so far I have spared myself 2009 darts, 14,065mg tar, & 'saved' $770 in just shy of 67days. By saved I mean spent on stocking up with e-cig supplies, & funneling the rest into what is fast becoming a blackhole of a Toyota ;)

Br0k3nW1ngz

Apr 8, 2018
Canada

Ive smoked for 12y and vaping got me commited but even for year bad habit came back but tried saly nic pod today and wow its stunning to myself to point i see a way to kill that crave once and for all, its exceed edhe i grabbed by joyetech

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
I loved smoking (cigarettes) too. I don't think everybody actually does. I reason this because I smoked cigars a couple of times a year. I would get a craving, & I would buy a few different kinds. Most smokers I knew never did this, they just smoked cigarettes because they needed the thing they needed from it & nothing more.
I knew I was up against this fascination while facing quitting, & so like yourself I've found myself loving vaping. Enthusiasm makes a big difference! =)

Good point, and I was one who also enjoyed smoking, not just for nicotine, but for love of tobacco. I never smoked cigars, with the exception of a Cuban someone once gave me that they smuggled in on a return from El Salvador (Cuban imports are illegal here), but I had pounds and pounds of rolling tobacco. I was a real connoisseur with my suicidal addiction in the golden age of roll-your-own when rolling tobacco was taxed much less than cigarettes, it was cut for cigarettes instead of pipes, and many brands that have since gone out of business due to taxes were selling some really fine cancerous bliss. My favorite brand was D&R, and I loved their Two Timer burley - the topping was so great, like a warm, subtle butterscotch or caramel or buttery something or other - hard to place what the flavor was, but you could smoke it straight and never guess it was just a pure burley. I'm giving naturally extracted tobacco a go right now, I have a cold brew of PG and just some ordinary American Spirit Natural aging, I'm going to do 8 weeks with it, and if it works out well I'll get some good pipe tobacco and try that, maybe even some Two Timer, which is now only available as pipe cut.

Welcome to the forum. I wish you good health and lots of years ahead without the smokes! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread