FDA "I think they're crazy..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoneyGram57

Mar 31, 2014
Kentucky
After watching the flood of stupidity that came from the Senate Hearings Thursday I was so angry! I haven't smoked a cigarette since I started vaping four months ago, E-cigarettes have freed me from a 40 yr. addiction when nothing else worked and I'd tried everything! I can't believe Nevada just installed a ......... vending machine and the FDA is making such a stink over such a lifesaver! There's some big bucks changing hands here but we'll never know who's benefiting, just who's getting the shaft.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Excellent piece. I'm one of those grey haired people. vaping is not just a fad for younger folks. It's serious business and it works for young and old!

My mom will be 80 in October. She started smoking when she was 15. She quit for about 6 years when she had my brother and I, but picked it up again. She never had any desire to quit, really, and has always been a die-hard smoker (I still have a scar on my hand from walking into one of her cigarettes when I was little). She's been vaping for a few months now. :)

amoca

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
Excellent piece. I'm one of those grey haired people. Vaping is not just a fad for younger folks. It's serious business and it works for young and old!

Not grey haired only because of genetics, but I'm nearly 51- smoked for 38 years, and there are more older people going into our local brick and mortars than young- a HUGE amount of our population have switched to vaping. One thing- people in retirement complexes, apartments etc. can vape legally and not worry about burning the place down. The local B and M has a 97 year old vaper, who is in every week. Ir's hugely serious with us because we've already spent so many years of our life making bad choices with smoking- this has absolutely changed the course of my life, and many others.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
More vapers in their 70s, 80s & even 90s?? :blink:

Blogs, videos, photos, social media..
Get out there & share these stories! The people of the internet will help you do the rest.. :matrix:

Not only does it get the word out & put a human "face" to vaping, which is extremely important these days, but it also becomes "contagious" & gets others to share even more stories, too!

lamarrk

ECF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama (Rocket City), USA

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Thank you, Gato del Jugo, for posting the interview. Did not know it would make it this far until it showed up on Molehill Mountain Drip Tips where I'm frequently found here at ECF; and just yesterday when perusing comments on Harkin's Facebook, found it there! Thought it would be just local where people already know me from the vape meets.

Thought after editing it would be just a short clip where I managed to say something.......you know.....witty, smart, cogent. Looks like they used the whole dang thing. Afterwards, Dimi assured me I did fine; and I told him could've used a makeup artist and a wardrobe change! But what the hay, impromptu, no notes and no idea what was going to happen.......One take.....and I wished I'd said some other things! :p

Ready for the D.C. bus! Back in the day, there use to be a group called the "Grey Panthers". Do believe they got some changes made. :D I think there's plenty of us......ah.....old.....mature.....ripened people out there with plenty of grit and free time on our hands.
Get a bunch of us together at a vape lounge. Do some interviewing, ask opinions and show happy faces. :laugh:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Thank you, Gato del Jugo, for posting the interview. Did not know it would make it this far until it showed up on Molehill Mountain Drip Tips where I'm frequently found here at ECF; and just yesterday when perusing comments on Harkin's Facebook, found it there! Thought it would be just local where people already know me from the vape meets.

Thought after editing it would be just a short clip where I managed to say something.......you know.....witty, smart, cogent. Looks like they used the whole dang thing. Afterwards, Dimi assured me I did fine; and I told him could've used a makeup artist and a wardrobe change! But what the hay, impromptu, no notes and no idea what was going to happen.......One take.....and I wished I'd said some other things! :p

Ready for the D.C. bus! Back in the day, there use to be a group called the "Grey Panthers". Do believe they got some changes made. :D I think there's plenty of us......ah.....old.....mature.....ripened people out there with plenty of grit and free time on our hands.
Get a bunch of us together at a vape lounge. Do some interviewing, ask opinions and show happy faces. :laugh:

And you're a member of ECF, ha! :banana:

You did an awesome job.. So thank YOU!

The video is up to 4,300 views -- and counting.. You're famous! :D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Excellent piece. I'm one of those grey haired people. Vaping is not just a fad for younger folks. It's serious business and it works for young and old!

I agree, because without the tender mercies of Olia, I'd be a gray-haired lady too. :D Thanks to vaping, I'll probably have the chance to grow even more gray hairs, and more wrinkles, too. :thumb: Yes, growing old does kinda suck.. but it really does beat the alternative!!!

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
53 years -- and she wasn't even trying to quit!

39 yrs for me, and same... I just wanted to indulge my habit, which I regarded as fixed and immovable, without having to go outdoors and freeze to death. It was only after I saw how easily vaping could be substituted for smoking that it occurred to me that this might finally be my ticket off the "cigarette boat to hell". :D I still can't believe it, almost 3 months later... no cigarettes, and no cravings, either! I know others may not have that exact experience, but must fight cravings regularly, but for me it really hasn't been that hard at all. I think I was ready to quit, I just didn't consciously realize it, until the means became available.

Andria

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
I still can't believe it almost 5 years later. I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

I did want to quit, very badly, and had very thoroughly psyched myself up, but I was SO weary of endless, humiliating, depressing effort/failure cycles that I secretly felt as much dread as excitement waiting for the first little kit.

It actually took me about 30 minutes to quit smoking. Seriously. After all those years of miserable struggle.

That for me it involved no real effort, no cravings, no weird symptoms, nothing but this ridiculously interesting and fun TOY (we're talking over 40 years of chain smoking) was just... well, insane. And miraculous.

Under all of my anger about this vicious FDA circus I'm just so intensely sad.
My beautiful Mom could probably have lived another 20 years if she'd had them.
The hundreds of lung cancer and COPD victims that I served working hospice might have been spared that hell, every one of them a long-time smoker. (And they kept chain-smoking right to the end, most of them. Blaming themselves for killing themselves, all kinds of ashamed, and smoking.)

Think of that - a beloved mother gone too early, 11 years working hospice, decades with every cessation trick and product out there, nothing would budge it; 30 minutes with an e-cig and done. Never looked back.

And all of the hundreds and hundreds of stories told in here, year after year - so many really moving successes, happy people. I still love reading them. Also my daughter, my son-in-law, clients, friends - they don't count because their experience is anecdotal?

Then start tallying properly! What a load of BS.

If they'd just see how horribly stupid and vicious it is to do anything but celebrate, promote and perfect this brilliant and benevolent bit of human ingenuity...
Stupid on the one hand, vicious on the other.

I really want to win this thing.

Mutter mutter.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I still can't believe it almost 5 years later. I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

I did want to quit, very badly, and had very thoroughly psyched myself up, but I was SO weary of endless, humiliating, depressing effort/failure cycles that I secretly felt as much dread as excitement waiting for the first little kit.

It actually took me about 30 minutes to quit smoking. Seriously. After all those years of miserable struggle.

That for me it involved no real effort, no cravings, no weird symptoms, nothing but this ridiculously interesting and fun TOY (we're talking over 40 years of chain smoking) was just... well, insane. And miraculous.

The hundreds of lung cancer and COPD victims that I served working hospice might have been spared that hell, every one of them a long-time smoker. (And they kept chain-smoking right to the end, most of them. Blaming themselves for killing themselves, all kinds of ashamed, and smoking.)

Think of that - a beloved mother gone too early, 11 years working hospice, decades with every cessation trick and product out there, nothing would budge it; 30 minutes with an e-cig and done. Never looked back.

And all of the hundreds and hundreds of stories told in here, year after year - so many really moving successes, happy people. I still love reading them. Also my daughter, my son-in-law, clients, friends - they don't count because their experience is anecdotal?

If they'd just see how horribly stupid and vicious it is to do anything but celebrate, promote and perfect this brilliant and benevolent bit of human ingenuity...

Mutter mutter.

It took me closer to 30 days than 30 minutes, but for much the same reasons you mentioned; I was so tired of failing and kicking myself, that I didn't pressure myself about it, or kick myself for the few I was still smoking, I just let vaping gradually overtake smoking until it was just stupid to smoke one a day anymore, keeping that addiction alive, when finally I had the means to end it for good. When that finally happened, I was done, and haven't looked back; I kept a "no need to panic" stash here for 56 days, the last 12 in my last open pack, but except for just a couple times in the first couple weeks, I really didn't even think about them; even those few times I did, I just shook my head with a grimace of disgust, realizing I was doing much too well without them, to want to ever smoke another.

And I echo your sentiments, but about my father; he smoked Luckies since he was about 12 yrs old, and in 2006 he died of lung cancer, very lingeringly and painfully, and ever since I watched that, I would watch myself smoking, thinking how stupid it was, knowing I was headed for the same end, but powerless to do a thing about it -- until e-cigs. And they have the everloving nerve to say they don't work for quitting? They work better than watching someone you love die of cancer! I know those early electric cigarettes were apparently very inadequate, which is why they never "flew," but I can't help but think, what if... my dad might still be here.

With my mom it was COPD, and she struggled miserably for years before she was finally able to quit, using a full-on combo of patch, gum, and lozenges, and the only reason she kept on with it was because she just could not breathe, she could not complete a sentence without a 10 minute coughing fit, and she could see that it was coming to the point of "smoke or keep breathing". Now I'm sure she's green with jealousy, hence all the "but you don't mean to do that forever, do you?" comments, but I know she's glad that I've apparently derailed the smoking-related illness train, before it really picks up a lot of steam -- I developed adult-onset asthma at the age of 24, but it has stayed remarkably stable over the years -- though I knew that couldn't last, as long as I continued smoking; I was headed straight for COPD myself.

I completely share your outrage at these clueless politicos, and the evil, small-minded, fascist ANTZ who'd far rather we all just died than used a relatively-harmless substitute.

Andria

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

Mutter mutter.

I get ya aubergine... took me about 30 minutes too. Though I did try a couple of drags off a combustible that night that I got my kit, just to see... it was so nasty to me after vaping over half the day, I crushed it out right away and gave my half-carton to my roommate. I wasn't planning to quit either; I'd failed many times before, and just accepted my fate as a smoker for life. I'm almost 3 years smoke-free myself. It's still amazing. And though intellectually, I understand what's going on behind the scenes with this whole FDA fracas, emotionally it feels somewhat surreal.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I'm a dual user and have been for a year. I'm not thrilled it didn't happen for me overnight but flavor is a big reason why I've cut down at all. I am fully convinced there is more to this addiction than nicotine or the psychology of having to vape / throat hit, etc. (although that plays a part). Tobacco companies have admitted they add stuff to cigarettes to make them more addicting, so it's reasonable to me to think that it's working. This focus on nicotine only as the addiction has harmed many users stuck on "more than nicotine" and stalled the science of tobacco addiction. BTW - I'm a VERY good quitter. I've quit millions of times; cold turkey, gums, patches, Chantix (can't believe that's still on the market). I'm lousy at staying quit. I really hate smoking, the smells, the mess, the expense, everything about it.

I don't feel I need to live in the shadows anymore with vaping and I'm not about to give it up, nor am I willing to turn it over to mega corporations who haven't had anything to do with developing this industry, nor do they display any sincere desire to help me get rid of this nasty habit. I strongly object to regulating those that have been so helpful, out of existance and turning this over to corporations that feel entittled to profit from all nicotine sales. It goes against the core of everything in me.

I'm not a lawyer, but if the FDA / CDC obtain their apparent regulatory goals, I think they should be sued for the same reasons that brought about the Master Settlement Act to begin with; misleading and fraudulent claims about nicotine that have lead to millions of unneccessary illness, suffering and death - only this time payable to people rather than to states (who are also part of this). Along with loosing the trust and authority to act for the "public good".

I'd love to see an advertising campaign of grey hairs even just on YouTube announcing our favorite flavors. Vaping is not for kids!

Last edited:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I am fully convinenced there is more to this addiction than nicotine or the psychology of having to vape / throat hit, etc.[/B][/I]

I'm thinking back to my two years at community college. At the start of every class, at least 1/2 of the students would open some kind of notebook and get out a pen or pencil. Out side of some cute doodles, nobody wrote a gosh darn thing, but those pencils were held at the ready. Some people even chewed them, though who knew what was in that yellow paint.

I'm a dual user too, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread