I threw some stuff together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
My goal was to make my Aga T+ 'chuck the vapor' and flavor of this thick Ry4 (that I really dig in the autumn months)--without modifying the stock wick hole. I can't really use this juice in a sub-ohm build, unless i use it in the dual-coil Aga TD (a fun little genny).

So I scrounged up a scrap of raw 200 mesh, 0.8 kanthal ribbon . Did a 5/4 wrap. The MM Vapor Did brass jam nuts are great for the ribbon wire. (I used 4/3 ribbon wraps on the TD dual coils and used the larger Aga Hydra jam nuts on that atty) 1.1ohm.Crackling great vape!! Wicks really nice so far.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Hey WattWick!! Nice to hear from you, fellow 'mesh devotee'!! I had a couple gennys set up this spring using 24g kanthal round. Clear Pina Colada ejuice. I never had to rebuild or even clean a coil, until October, when I wanted to switch back to my maple syrupey Ry4.
Ordered a couple Nextgens, and a Foggatti clone from Fasttech. And a couple of rainbow iridescent finished Sat22. 'Cause they're just really cute!!
But with setups, I am most comfortable w the DID/AGA configuation.
(My In'ax clones are going into a landfill. The post glows and oxidizes, and I hate those springs) Peace!!

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Long time, Annie :)

Good to see you're still tinkering. Looks like a nice way to bridge the gap between center post and wick.
The big fancy DID jam nuts i used for the purpose of locking that ribbon in. I did a 'sleeper' build (o wait, that was on the aga td). I attach the top lead, then 'sew' my way down the wick. I started wrapping like that after I started using ribbon.

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
So i decided that this coil, while firing perfectly, is running too low ohm-wise and wicking cant keep up. So i redid the setup, with 0.5 ribbon, 4/5 wrap. 1.2Ω. And i think i have a winner, on my wonderful aga t+, that everyone just luvvvs. The setup isnt popping and drying out, and i dont have to tilt like a ying yang.Using the Tesla Sub Ohm mod, such a powerful little box!!And you can charge it with USB cables that you pick up at any cash register. Now i can put up some Christmas decorations or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrucker

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
My goal was to make my Aga T+ 'chuck the vapor' and flavor of this thick Ry4 (that I really dig in the autumn months)--without modifying the stock wick hole. I can't really use this juice in a sub-ohm build, unless i use it in the dual-coil Aga TD (a fun little genny).

So I scrounged up a scrap of raw 200 mesh, 0.8 kanthal ribbon . Did a 5/4 wrap. The MM Vapor Did brass jam nuts are great for the ribbon wire. (I used 4/3 ribbon wraps on the TD dual coils and used the larger Aga Hydra jam nuts on that atty) 1.1ohm.Crackling great vape!! Wicks really nice so far. View attachment 509796

Wow! Another girl who uses GENNIES!!! I'm so delighted :)

Nice work you did there girl! And you have DID! Built with mesh as it should be! Now I'm really impressed! I have two of them and will be getting a third. How did I never come across you on here before?

It looks like you are doing the same build I'm using. Is that 26 kanthal on your DID? If so you are doing it just like I am. Nice clean build there, Girl, we must chat!

Last edited:

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Thank You, Vaslovik!!After more tinkering with my Aga products (Satyr, Aga T+)--ive decided that coiling them with 32 works best, at least if you leave the stock wick hole without drilling it out. I did a couple setups over past couple of nights that i really got good results w. Did the whole torch-quench-juice burn. Wrapped the coil on wick. Torch that. Burned juice on it. Hooked up top lead. Tidy the coil. Attach neg leg. Pulsed out almost perfect.

My diagonal mesh arrived from Kp. Had to play w that. Best result so far!! from the Aga T+!!2.1Ωis perfect for the Ry4 syrup that i like to vape.

My DID is tore down for the moment. Nichrome ran too hot.I actually find the large wick hole to be problematic.If the build ohms out too high, it takes forever to heat up to vapor. The deck on the DID is thick, and can make wicking problematic. So i dont want to ohm out too low, either. Especially since all of the power is going to a single coil...
The next time that i throw a build into it, i am going to leave more space around the wick. I might give the 28g a go on it as well. If i can get a good vape w the DID/Ry4 combo, i will consider it a success.,I had the steel tank set up all summer using clear Pina Colada from NJ, with 24g and never had to change a coil or even dry burn. Ry4 is a major coil trasher. Glad you guys enjoy the pix and my tinkering!! Mesh rules!!
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I have to say, you are more inventive and innovative than I am. I'm an old lady who settled into a certain way of doing things I was happy with. I settled on a 26 kanthal build at .7 ohm over 400 mesh, and I've been pretty happy with that. I can re-wick and re-coil in about 5 minutes. I early on abandoned 32 kanthal because when I needed to re-wick getting the wick back into the coil would mess up the coil. Also I wanted a bigger pipe for the current.

I went to 28 kanthal, and that was okay for a while, but then I tried 26, and aha! It got me a hardy coil that stayed in shape and lasted a long time and seemed perfect for my needs. I've never done the U-wicks you are doing, and I tried dual coils a couple times, but abandoned that effort when it became clear what a hassle it was to set up, that the ramp-up time for two coils was a lot longer, and that it drained batteries a good deal faster.

So I've settled on this standard DID build, which I'm pretty happy with...

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Hi Vaslovik-------I have been vaping my RSST single coil atomizer and used Stainless Steel Mesh and rubbed a little cotton on the end of my wick .

This works pretty good for me but I get a dry coil hit every once in awhile---maybe because I try to go to 25 watts-on my 28 guage---.75 ohm coil.

So I tried something different........a Ni 200 pure nickel coil with 12 wraps and installed rsst onto my Eleaf istick 60 watt Temperature Control Mod.

Set temp to 450 degrees and watts to 24 and I cannot get a dry hit with this even though I continue to chain vape.

My ohms come out to .18 ohms ---yes that's right point Eighteen ohms....and nothing get hot with the temp control mod setup........

I am 64 and am old fashioned in a lot of my vaping ways---------but thought I would try this temp control mod for the heck of it.

The temp control really works nice on the rsst and all my drippers never get a dry hit.........

Reactions: Annie56

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Some other shtuff i threw together--Standard DID 5/4 28g nichrome 80 50mm 200 mesh
0.9Ω. Tesla Two Sub Ohm Box. View attachment 511304

I like your work here.........Your mesh wick has a nice large center hole and looks even --which would help in wicking the DID.

I still like to tinker with the mesh and these Genny style addys.......

I have the RSST single coil and RSST clear glass dual coil model.........I also picked up the Mini Did--with glass tank and steel no see liquid model.

Been using temp control and Ni 200 pure nickel wire on my RSST single coil atomizer with Eleaf 60 watt TC mod and have not had a dry hit in 2 days...

wicking with mesh and rubbing on a little cotton onto the wick just to help insulate...

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Well sir, that's a setup that would never have occurred to me. I've never used anything but kanthal and mesh, in gennies on mechs, and as for cotton, I regard it as the tool of Satan. Our Lady of the Immaculate Mesh would never countenance such a thing. A build at .18 ohm strikes me as insanely hot, and dangerous as well. I do hope you are well versed in battery safety. As for temperature control I've seen no need for it, or for any regulated mod although I do recognize the frightfully commercial tendency of those pushing the market to re-invent the wheel. My own temperature control is in the way I do my build.

You are of course free to complicate your own vape as you like.

For my part I require nothing more than a good build, a battery, and a button that puts the current straight to the coil I wound on the wick I rolled.

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Well sir, that's a setup that would never have occurred to me. I've never used anything but kanthal and mesh, in gennies on mechs, and as for cotton, I regard it as the tool of Satan. Our Lady of the Immaculate Mesh would never countenance such a thing. A build at .18 ohm strikes me as insanely hot, and dangerous as well. I do hope you are well versed in battery safety. As for temperature control I've seen no need for it, or for any regulated mod although I do recognize the frightfully commercial tendency of those pushing the market to re-invent the wheel. My own temperature control is in the way I do my build.

You are of course free to complicate your own vape as you like.

For my part I require nothing more than a good build, a battery, and a button that puts the current straight to the coil I wound on the wick I rolled.

This is a rip trippers video from 2013 and it is fascinating what he does with the mesh wick in that he strokes it on cotton and it picks up little shards of cotton

and this seems to help with wicking and insulating.....

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I was always against any build under .50 ohms until I tried this Ni 200 nickel wire with this temp control mod.

The coil does not get really hot like a .18 on a dripper or one of my mech mods......

The ni 200 pure nickel wire has a low resistence by nature and is used only for Temp Control. I have a single coil built with 12 wraps around a 2.5 mm screwdriver

and it came out to .18---which would have had me very very concerned with Kanthal and a mech mod.

But this thing never gets overly hot like Kanthal---it is really fascinating how the temp control thing works so well.

I don't like all the modern complicated newest things either as I am old fashioned in my ways but this temp control has made my drippers and gennys new

pieces of equipment......

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Rip Trippers???? Oh gawd... I can't stand that man! I'm done with this thread...

I know how you feel and respect your strict rules on the genny atomizers---I don't like trippers but do think that the mesh rubbed on cotton is interesting---This is my genny rsst on the 60 watt eleaf and working great and can't get a dry hit

even if I wanted to...........
shiny13.jpg

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
I really like Rip. He invented the Ac9, if im not mistaken. He tinkered w the scubatank? or gen? and with wicking materials like ceramic. And he just seems really nice, like he has a good heart.

I don't like cotton. Because no matter if you just buy it fresh, it reminds me of the bathroom, and how qtips smell, or something. And the genesis is an amazing puzzle to be figured out. With mesh, and how that all works.

I actually get great vaping off of my dual Chracken and Aga Td. I think its because even tho the setups ohm out lower, each coil does not get as hot, like a single coil would. My damn uwick setup got a massive short and popped. My drip tip was bumping it out of place. Plus i realised that the 'u' part keeps wanting to stay fatter. Back to the youtube machine for more tutorials on the u wick.Gonna give the nichrome wire a try again. Its working nice in my Aga Td right now. I might try making a petar K on my atty, to make the coil have a shape. But ill still prolly gave to take the coil back off in order to install the wick for good wick-coil contact.

Trucker, i know nothing about temp control, since i have just recently started building alot again. But it seems fascinating. Probably wont try it right yet, since it involves alot of research.

As for my mods--two Poldiacs, two Temon hybrids, an army of clone tube mods, and my Tesla sub ohm boxes. Those puppies have transformed my vaping.No more lugging a case of Sony Vct4s for me, lol!

On the go, which i usually am, Ego Ts with a micro genesis
image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread