I work for a Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jynn

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
louisville ky
I am in the IT dept for a chain of hospitals that has somewhat recently adopted a strict no smoking policy across all hospital campuses and affiliated buildings (even the non-clinical ones)

We have been given permission to vape in the non-clinical buildings and outside on hospital grounds. E-cig use is spreading like wildfire here :p

MrsJaaxx

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
Atlanta, GA
www.juicyliquid.com
That is awesome! I know the hospitals here are extremely big on the no-smoking thing. They have a covered area that looks like a bus stop that's way out in the middle of the parking lot that is the only place anyone is allowed to smoke. So it's super-cool that they will allow indoor vaping.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
I always have and always will believe that not hiring a smoker is wrong. Smoking is not illegal and there are states that have legislation in place to prevent such discrimination against future employees. Then there are states that have legislation that support not hiring smokers.

God help the future of the Unitied States.

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
I always have and always will believe that not hiring a smoker is wrong. Smoking is not illegal and there are states that have legislation in place to prevent such discrimination against future employees. Then there are states that have legislation that support not hiring smokers.

God help the future of the Unitied States.

It sets a terrible precedent. What's next - drinkers? People who eat Big Mac's? Soda drinkers? All are bad for you; all can destroy your health. I don't need a nanny.

I no longer smoke but I would never seek employment in an establishment that discriminated so blatantly. People need to vote with their wallets. Even hospitals are normally for-profit enterprises.

American businesses and governments need to get the heck out of the private lives of US citizens - and stay out. American citizens need to make themselves heard politically and financially. That's the language that businesses and governments speak and understand.

thelook

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
It sets a terrible precedent. What's next - drinkers? People who eat Big Mac's? Soda drinkers? All are bad for you; all can destroy your health. I don't need a nanny.

I no longer smoke but I would never seek employment in an establishment that discriminated so blatantly. People need to vote with their wallets. Even hospitals are normally for-profit enterprises.

American businesses and governments need to get the heck out of the private lives of US citizens - and stay out. American citizens need to make themselves heard politically and financially. That's the language that businesses and governments speak and understand.

I could not have said it better!
Another one that really bothers me is companies that do credit checks for employment.

DiscoStu

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
Jackson, MS
I work for the largest hospital in Mississippi in the IT dept and I have been encouraged to vape, just discreetly, in the stairwells, etc. They have a strict zero tolerance policy for smoking right up there with drug use. Now if I can just get them to let me vape at my desk, don't know how to approach it with the powers that be tho.....

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Yeah, Drozd, I think people already there are grandfathered, but I'm thinking they maybe have to quit within a time frame. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the specifics. It's a really good hospital and where I would want to go if needed, but I wouldn't want to work there. Like you guys said, what's next?

Here's the law in TN:
"
Smoker Protection Laws
No employee, including employees of state and local government, shall be discharged or terminated solely for participating or engaging in the use of an agricultural product not regulated by the alcoholic beverage commission that is not otherwise proscribed by law, if such employee participates or engages in such use in a manner which complies with all applicable employer policies regarding such use during times at which such employee is working; and/or if such employee participates or engages in such activity during times when such employee is not working. This section shall not be used for frivolous lawsuits, and anyone trying to do so is subject to sanction.

TENN. CODE ANN. § 50-1-304 (1990).

anyone interested in what the law is exactly in their state...one of the best references actually is a website run by the ALA actually...
just go here: Tobacco Laws and Public Smoking Policy -- American Lung Association SLATI and click on your state...

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I work for the largest hospital in Mississippi in the IT dept and I have been encouraged to vape, just discreetly, in the stairwells, etc. They have a strict zero tolerance policy for smoking right up there with drug use. Now if I can just get them to let me vape at my desk, don't know how to approach it with the powers that be tho.....

mississippi has a pretty good smoker protection law too...probably part of the reason they're encouraging vaping instead..

JoAnna1010

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Knoxville TN, USA
I'm a nurse and a vaper.
I vape all the time in the hospital discreetly in the bathroom or wherever I feel like it if no one is around. I mean....who is going to know??? There is no smell, no smoke and no mess.
Just keep one in your pocket (or bra, ha ha) and do it.
I do not do it in the presence of anyone because I just don't want the hassel of talking about it...explaining it.....etc.
Don't ask - Don't tell !!

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
Virginia, you absolutely have the right idea on that.

Drozd, thanks for the info. I think the main deal with this hospital is that from now on they won't hire you if you smoke (or use tobacco or nic of any kind, I think). I think they'll make you sign something when hired. They are a fairly large Catholic hospital that has been here for a looong time.

RollTheBones

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Wisconsin
I am so jealous. :)

Working for a large, well known healthcare company that treats smokers like dirt is starting to get to me. Used to have a spot about 200 feet from the nearest door to smoke, they got rid of it. Then went "smoke free" so you had to leave the premises which is not easy since it's such a large campus. Now it is "tobacco free", whatever the hell that means.

It almost seems they are setting smokers up for failure here by eliminating all options.

This is SO true and my main gripe with all of this "Smoke free America" hype going on; yea we all know it's bad, yada yada yada. But the point is it's scary when places start thinking this way and it really does concern me especially in the environment I am in now. Caffeine is not good for you either, are they going to outlaw coffee next?

I am still being careful about vaping by going to the smoking section with all the smokers. But if there is bad weather I have no qualms at all about a few ninja puffs in the bathroom. ;)

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Now it is "tobacco free", whatever the hell that means.
Tobacco Free essentially means NO tobacco products are permitted. Not just cigarettes and cigars but ya' can't be walkin' around with a wad of chew stuck in yer craw either.... Which just baffles me. I don't know of anyone who has gotten cancer from second hand chewin' tobacco. :unsure:

HeatherC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2010
New York
funny thing is as far as TN goes, there's no law protecting smokers from discrimination in hiring...but there is stating that they can't be fired for being a smoker..so once you're in...you're good

We could get smoking declared a disability (they did it with alcoholism and other drug addictions) Then it would be covered as a discriminatory act based on the disability act

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
funny thing is as far as TN goes, there's no law protecting smokers from discrimination in hiring...but there is stating that they can't be fired for being a smoker..so once you're in...you're good

Hey Drozd, do you know what the laws are for here in Ohio? Just wondering, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread