Exciting moment at the hospital for a vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grad

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Central Ohio, US
I spent an incredibly long day meeting with the members of a transplant team at a rather large hospital today. Among the litany of demands they have for someone to qualify for surgery was to quit smoking. Their previous policy was to have patients try their best to quit smoking, but the cigs (at least they claim) decrease survival rates, so now all patients are required to quit. Thankfully, they do provide a smoking cessation program for their patients. Their top recommendation for quitting....E-cigs! :ohmy: They are willing to help you with other methods (the usual suspects), but they are finding vaping to be incredibly effective. Of course, they want you to use it as a temporary tool and not a long time hobby, and then you have to be able to pass a nicotine screen before you qualify for a surgery, but it's a nice start.

I just had to share my excitement with all of you. I'm not thrilled about the idea of giving up the nicotine, but I am thrilled to hear that they see their potential.

I was equally amazed when I was allowed to vape inside the clinic. I asked where I could go outside for a vape since the whole campus is non-smoking. When I explained to the nurse what I meant about vaping (she wasn't as informed as the treatment team), she responded, "Oh, well if it's not a real cigarette, I don't see why you can't use it in here.":vapor:I was subtle about it, but nobody said a word to me the whole day.

Grad

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Central Ohio, US
that is so freaking exciting, I can't stand it!!!!!!

15 years ago, I gave my sister a kidney, and I just had to QUIT cold turkey! it almost killed me :lol:

that is so AWESOME!!!!!!

are you getting or giving an organ, if I can ask???????

Ugh...quitting cold turkey... I would probably prefer to go the route of waking up in a bathtub full of ice missing a kidney.

I'm hoping to give a kidney to my mom. I figure I have a spare, and I likely won't need it too badly if I go easy at the bar :lol: So awesome that you've already done it!

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
Ugh...quitting cold turkey... I would probably prefer to go the route of waking up in a bathtub full of ice missing a kidney.

I'm hoping to give a kidney to my mom. I figure I have a spare, and I likely won't need it too badly if I go easy at the bar :lol: So awesome that you've already done it!

the surgery they do today is so much easier than the one they used to do! But it's still harder for the donor than the recipient.

Have they done the 83498576 tests on you yet? THOSE are fun,,,,,,,,,,,and the amount of blood they take,,,,sheesh,,,,,have some juice and cookies when you're done, you'll need it :lol:

as for quitting cold turkey,,,,,,it worked for about 4 months,,,,,,,and then I was right back to it,,,,,,,,,using the e-cig is so much easier,,,,,,,,,

Grad

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Central Ohio, US
Years ago I worked in the claims department of a large workman's comp carrier for almost 5 years. One thing I noticed, every single spinal fusion done on a smoker failed. As a matter of fact, any bone trauma injury on a smoker never had a good ending.

I've seen a similar situation with a friend. They ended up in a wheelchair because it never healed. I do believe them when they say it causes an issue (they've done enough surgeries), and I certainly believe them when they say it is so much harder to get smokers off the ventilator after surgery.

Grad

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Central Ohio, US
Have they done the 83498576 tests on you yet? THOSE are fun,,,,,,,,,,,and the amount of blood they take,,,,sheesh,,,,,have some juice and cookies when you're done, you'll need it :lol:

as for quitting cold turkey,,,,,,it worked for about 4 months,,,,,,,and then I was right back to it,,,,,,,,,using the e-cig is so much easier,,,,,,,,,

The whole thing is laparoscopic now, but I hear it still hurts like a beast. We're still in the pretty early stages, so the tests are yet to come. I hate needles!

That's an awesome story & such an amazing thing you're trying to do for your mother!! Hope she knows what a great child she raised, but I'm sure she already knows:)

Thanks, that's sweet of you. :) I'm mostly doing it so I can guilt her out of everything in the future. Who gets the last piece of pizza? I gave you a kidney... Will you go to the store and buy something horribly embarrassing for me? I gave you a kidney... :D

john.andrew

Moved On
Nov 26, 2013
On this beautiful earth
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I've had two people in the medical profession tell me to start vaping. I've tried all the other ways with bad results. I love hearing about more telling their patients to try this. The more doctors to get on board, the better. People generally trust their doctor, and hopefully they'll listen to their doctor over the media hype and scare tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread