bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
just tried TC for the first time.
crikey.
only just started winding SS coils. wound a 0.5 contact coil, fitted it to my OBS engine nano and stuck it on SS mode.
30W (i lowered it from 50W) and 450F.
how very strange.
enjoying it but not quite getting it. further investigation required.
here we go again...

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
crikey.
only just started winding SS coils. wound a 0.5 contact coil, fitted it to my OBS engine nano and stuck it on SS mode.
how very strange.
here we go again...
If you’re using tc you should space your coils. Enjoy!

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Ahhh, I remember my first foray into the mysterious world of temp control vaping.
I got Ni and wound little tiny coils to fit into the RBA of a Subtank Mini.
It worked, but the tank and RBA were happier with the then new Ti.
Soon, I found SS430 and mods that would support the TCR settings needed.
It was a whirl of mods with better support and tanks that had just the draw I wanted for awhile.
Then, life got boring. Most mods are generally good at TCR now, though not always with the actual value for a metal. Most tanks don't leak on me. So, now I just have to fill tanks and swap batteries.
What kind of life is that?

Spaced coils are the key to TC as @Heartsdelight said.
For me, the pleasure of TC vaping is that I get the same vape no matter how long a pull I take. I guess it can now be somewhat simulated by power curves, but why would I want to manually do something that a chip can do in realtime?

The other thing I just experienced again a couple of days ago. My vaporizer started hitting very weakly. I reset resistance, swapped batteries, it just kept getting worse. As I took the tank off to put onto a different mod, I noticed the JFC was still closed after I filled it. Needless to say if I had been on power, I'd have had a nasty burned hit. With TC, just the embarrassment of being silly.

Find where you like to vape in TC and enjoy!

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
What mod are you using? TC performance is very dependent on both setup as well as whether or not the mod has implemented TC properly.
only tried it on one of my steampunk nanos. tried it up to 50W but think i prefer 30W more. as far as i'm aware they're (the steampunk) well suited to TC but am happy to stand corrected.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think the Steampunk does TC pretty well. I also noticed an oddity about the battery door. I was having more problems with it (even with the sleeve) and then I put a (relatively heavy in comparison to my MTL mods, a Kayfun clone) on it, and the battery door hasn't shifted once. I wonder if weighty tanks somehow help keep it latched, maybe via contact with the 510 pin. It's just a theory, but I'm finding it interesting....

Anna

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I think the Steampunk does TC pretty well. I also noticed an oddity about the battery door. I was having more problems with it (even with the sleeve) and then I put a (relatively heavy in comparison to my MTL mods, a Kayfun clone) on it, and the battery door hasn't shifted once. I wonder if weighty tanks somehow help keep it latched, maybe via contact with the 510 pin. It's just a theory, but I'm finding it interesting....

Anna
the battery doors on both of mine have been solid so far though all my tanks are pretty weighty. you might be on to something!

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
crikey.
how very strange.
here we go again...
Yeah, I'm too having strange feeling when I use TC mode on SS coils. It vapor remind me of cigarettes smoke, so flat... my setup was 6 wrap SS 26Ga (spaced coil) on Serpent MMS + 80VG DIY juice

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think it takes a little getting used to. I built a few coils with kanthal for practice, but it made sense for me to start out with SS wires, since I fully intended to use my RTAs with TC mode. I don't think of the vape as flat, so much as even. I don't dislike it at all but I had to break in my wick and coil, and I got some funky tastes doing that (rayon and SS aren't the best tasting starting out has been my understanding). I wish kanthal were a TC wire, because it's so much easier to build coils with it, comparatively, though I'm glad I started with SS so that's all I know about.... The vape will improve as you run it, I'm fairly certain.

Good luck! :)

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
only tried it on one of my steampunk nanos. tried it up to 50W but think i prefer 30W more. as far as i'm aware they're (the steampunk) well suited to TC but am happy to stand corrected.

Steampunk has a good rep on TC. It's just going to require some playing around until you get it dialed in just how you like it. Once you do, it's a lot easier to set up future coils, even if different builds as you know roughly what to expect.

One thing I've done is twisted Kanthal and Ni200 to make spaced TC coils. I used the TCR for Ni and just adjusted the power and temperature to get the desired vape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, but just a double check. Are you using twisted Kanthal and trying to run it in TC? You can't do that with Kanthal. I have no experience with building with Ni, but doesn't that give you a way low resistance without a lot of wraps?

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Steampunk has a good rep on TC. It's just going to require some playing around until you get it dialed in just how you like it. Once you do, it's a lot easier to set up future coils, even if different builds as you know roughly what to expect.

Sorry, but just a double check. Are you using twisted Kanthal and trying to run it in TC? You can't do that with Kanthal. I have no experience with building with Ni, but doesn't that give you a way low resistance without a lot of wraps?

No, twist 1-wire of Kanthal with 1-wire of Ni200. Makes the Ni200 easier to deal with and you can TC it. You are correct in that Kanthal alone can not be TC due to the extremely low TCR. The same goes for N80.

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
No, twist 1-wire of Kanthal with 1-wire of Ni200. Makes the Ni200 easier to deal with and you can TC it. You are correct in that Kanthal alone can not be TC due to the extremely low TCR. The same goes for N80.

That was so creative :) Nice :thumb:

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread