Idea: Car PV Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerve007

Dec 21, 2010
Canada
Ok, so from time to time, I forget to bring my pv with me when I leave the house. Other times, I just don't want to kill my battery on a long road trip. I also currently only have one pv. So I've started planning my next mod.

I haven't yet heard of this being done, although I'm sure it has. I intend on using the car's battery to power my pv. As an electronics student, I felt well enough equipped to design this thing. But I was hitting a wall right from the start. A zener regulator would require some hefty power resistors, and I'm not all that confident in my theory at the moment to design a transistor regulator (summer break, ya know). But the sky opened up, and the angels sang when I found a DC-DC converter that will step down my car's 12V supply to my usual 3.7V. The little package is rated at 10W with a max current of 3A. It turns out, that may just be perfect for my application. I've ordered it, and it should be arriving by September.

I have a basic idea of how I want the device to function, but would welcome some input from veteran and amateur modders out there. As my knowledge of automobiles is quite limited, I could be steering down the wrong path.

So let me know if you have any ideas that may help. I'm always willing to learn something new.

Matt

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Only thing i can say to watch out for is that you should make your design able to handle 14.5 volts. Not sure what the max input is for the reg you got but when a car is running and the battery is charging off the alternator your going to be seeing a voltage as high as 14.5 volts. Other then that if your going to all this trouble why not make it variable voltage then you can adjust to a more perfect voltage for vaping.

nerve007

Dec 21, 2010
Canada
Thanks for the input guys,

Java_Az - The regulator's max input is 18V, so I'm pretty safe there. I thought about making it VV but this is just my second mod, and I thought I would keep it relatively simple. I've really grown to love LR vaping at 3.7, so for me I guess it is the perfect voltage (for now). Perhaps the future holds the knowledge for me to try variable voltage.

Dudeman and Lazrah - If I was doing this out of necessity, the passthrough would be the obvious choice. I used to keep my eGo passthrough in my car all the time until I gave it to a friend. It was nice, but dripping and driving proved unsafe. I'm doing this one out of convenience and because I like to tinker.

I thought it would be neat to integrate a PV into my console. The idea is to have a sort of "e-hookah" between the passenger and driver's seats, utilizing a hookah-style hose and a maybe a top-fed feeder system. I'd like to get it to a point of hands free vaping.

Lazrah - What type of USB thingy are you referring to? I'm kinda curious now.

Lazrah

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2011
Juneau,AK
edit: Dalton got a link there. Thats what it is, I just got a different brand is all. ~Thanks Dalton
This would be nice too, so you wouldn't have to switch out warts to charge cell phones. Not sure you have to switch them out but I do.. I am not about to fry my Droid3!
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=16795656&findingMethod=rr

Sorry for my extremely advanced technical term there LOL! It is just a cigarette lighter wart, like the usb wall warts only for the car. I am sure you probably have one already. I just bought the one I have specifically for vaping, the 500MaH(I think it is.) I had for the phone was weak. The 2 amp I bought provides a decent enough vape.

Since my very first mod out of necessity, ALL of my mods are because I like to tinker :)

I have been "developing" if you wanna call it that.. an E-Hookah. Have big plans! lol
I wonder..... Maybe something from the dome light xD maybe two hoses one for each person, or possibly share with the backseat.

Glad to hear another against "Dripping and Driving" its dangerous! I ALWAYs preload some cartomisers for car rides.

Last edited:

nerve007

Dec 21, 2010
Canada
Yeah, USB car chargers are handy and all, but since I'd prefer to keep it batteryless I don't think I'll be getting one. Also, the price for that is probably what I'm looking at spending on the entire thing (the electronics portion anyways). Not to mention, vaping LR's at 3.7V requires roughly 2.5A.

My first mod was specifically to get me away from dripping and driving. Worked pretty well, but it's time for a change.

Marb

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
Portland, OR
I was kicking around the idea of making an automotive cigar lighter into a super-heavy duty 12v PV... I mentioned it as a joke in another thread, but now I'm wondering... it would probably hit like a freight train, lol...

But yeah, back on topic - the usb/outlet PT/PV idea sounds a little more practical. I've got a homebrew PT that is USB compatible, but I use it with an AC power supply rated at 1.2a @ 5v DC. Haven't gotten around to trying it in my truck yet. Which has a 2a USB converter (for charging my batts on the road).

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA

Lazrah

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2011
Juneau,AK
Yeah, USB car chargers are handy and all, but since I'd prefer to keep it batteryless I don't think I'll be getting one. Also, the price for that is probably what I'm looking at spending on the entire thing (the electronics portion anyways). Not to mention, vaping LR's at 3.7V requires roughly 2.5A.

My first mod was specifically to get me away from dripping and driving. Worked pretty well, but it's time for a change.

I wouldn't recomend buying the one I Linked, it is waaay too expensive. I paid only $3 for the one I use. I just like the fact it has a 1 amp and 2.1 amp for different purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread