If I buy an Aegis Legend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouthycat

Jul 27, 2016
The Geekvape Aegis Legend is a mod I've wanted for some time. But, so many technical problems with it has kept me from buying one. If I buy one today, what will I get; a mod that's ready for primetime or one that needs work that should've been done at the factory? I don't wanna buy somethin that I have to install an upgrade to get it to work right. Is it a good idea to buy or not?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just like every other product on earth that is upgradable, What firmware you get depends on when it came out of the factory. There’s no way to really control that, so if you’re not willing to upgrade your electronics you may be out of luck. Not a great idea btw to broadcast that you don’t update your systems on the internet. Makes you low hanging fruit for hackers

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I bought early and my Aegis 100W came in with early firmware. Upgrading it to 1.24 was simply a matter of removing two cover screws on top and plugging in the USB cable, then following the upgrade script that included removing the battery before doing the upgrade. The upgrade procedure went quickly without incident.

If you order, talk to the vendor and find out what firmware is on his/her stock. If it's not 1.2 for the Legend, call another vendor until you find one with updated hardware.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I bought early and my Aegis 100W came in with early firmware. Upgrading it to 1.24 was simply a matter of removing two cover screws on top and plugging in the USB cable, then following the upgrade script that included removing the battery before doing the upgrade. The upgrade procedure went quickly without incident.

If you order, talk to the vendor and find out what firmware is on his/her stock. If it's not 1.2 for the Legend, call another vendor until you find one with updated hardware.
Good idea. This caused another thought: simply make the guy at the vape shop do it. Agree to buy the mod IF they update the firmware.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Buy it. I have been abusing one just to report on a long term test. I keep track every time the puff counter hits 1000, I have 46K puffs on it and zero issues after the upgrade. I'm starting to believe this is one of the best chips that's not a dna or YiHi out of China. The paint is taking a beating, but that's on me. If you buy the Limited edition it has the newest firmware.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Good idea. This caused another thought: simply make the guy at the vape shop do it. Agree to buy the mod IF they update the firmware.
Many shops will not for a variety of reasons...

1. The seal on the box must be broken
2. Puts the shop in the category of tobacco manufacturer (software is a tobacco product, after all)

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Many shops will not for a variety of reasons...

1. The seal on the box must be broken
2. Puts the shop in the category of tobacco manufacturer (software is a tobacco product, after all)
Good point, although one of my local shops offered to upgrade it right after I paid for one.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Mouthycat – Your concerns on updating the FW for the Legend are legit – it is not a full proof procedure and something such as your computer or even user error could cause a failed update. But have confidence there is much support here on ECF should you need it. And Geekvape does frequent these forums and will provide full support as they have done for many users.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Picked up my second Legend yesterday – just updated the FW…took less than a few minutes.

Some tips to mitigate any issues…

If using a laptop it is recommended to plug it into it’s power supply.

First prepare for the update by downloading the new Firmware from the Geekvape site. The application comes packaged in a 7-Zip file, you may need to download 7-Zip to open the file (7-Zip is an excellent program and much better than the native Zip software within Windows. It is also free). Ensure you download the correct 7-Zip for your computer….ask if you are unsure.

After installing 7-Zip (if needed), close all programs and open the downloaded FW Zipped file. Drag and Drop the folder onto your desktop for easy access.

Use the provided USB cable that came with the device. The cavity in which the USB port resides is very small, other USB cables may not fit properly therefore not achieve a good connection.

Batteries and atomizer should be removed before attempting FW update.

Plugging the USB into the mod can be tricky, so unplug the cable from the computer first, then plug into the mod ensuring a good connection. With batteries and atty removed, hold down the + button then plug the USB into the computer. Your computer should recognize the device. You can then release the + button.

Launch the FW software and click start update. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING and wait for the software to confirm completion. Takes a few seconds to complete – slower computers may vary.

Close the update software, unplug USB from device, insert batteries and while the mod is turned off, press and hold the + & - buttons for a few seconds – the new FW should be displayed. Turn the mod on (usual 5 clicks), screw on atty of choice and enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread