Igo-L on Vamo, unlikely problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
So I wrap my coils (silica wick, 32 gauge A-1) at around 1.9 to 2.3 ohms and run it at 10.5 watts. Today, after a problem free week, and on an already horrid day, my coils just randomly switched resistance. I took three rips off the Igo with a 1.9 ohm wrap and no probs. then, the low ohm thing came on and my coil read at .4 ohms. I took it off the device and put it on an eGo batt and it worked but didn't shine. Put it back on the Vamo and it read 1.9 ohms again. Went to hit it, low ohms warning. ...? I tried making a new coil and tossing the good one I had been using for several days, and checked the ohms on everything else I have. Turns out, I happen to be the proud owner of 0.1 ohm smok dual coil carto, the only one ever made!!

So what's going on here? I checked the voltage of the batteries, 7.9, so pretty full. I swapped out the stacked 18350 batts for a fresh 18650 and every one of these problems went away. My new coil now reads 2.2 and though not yet burned in hits pretty well. And that rare and valuable 0.1 ohm smok dcc is now an unremarkable 1.6 ohms.

To test further, I used the Igo on the Vamo with each 18350 individually and they both read the new coil at 2.2 ohms and fired it just fine. For safety reasons I didn't try them stacked again. Both batteries read 3.9 volts.

So what the hell happened here? Should I just use the Vamo with single batts from now on? And for the mods, I am posting this here because the issue started on the Igo-l and fired everything else fine, so I originally thought this prob was related to that device specifically.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
UPDATE: This one was my fault, and thanks pdib for the link, it came in handy either way.

I used a VMOD atty and carto on my Vamo. They have this little extra bit at the bottom for their feeding system and this pushed down my center post. When I made the new coil, I didn't take the Igo off the Vamo. My ohms dropped off again. I again made a new coil while it was on the Vamo. I guess I used to much force tightening the center screw and the whole post started to move. I took it off the mod and the post slide all the way through and I can't find the little insulator ring. Oops. Stupid thing is, I usually put my Igo on an old eGo batt to attach the coil and check for hot spots. The eGo and stand were right next to me when I did all this.

Another Igo-L is on it's way to me and my Vamo's center pin is back where it should be. You live and you learn, but this was the perfect finish to an already monumentally crappy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread