Not open for further replies.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Hopefully I can help.
I have an Alien, a GX2/4, and the Captain(plus too many others to get into).
I have owned the G-Priv. Its a nice built device.
Pros:
The size is not too bulky or heavy.
Great fire bar
The Modes(Min, Soft, Norm, Hard, and Max)
The battery door has very strong magnets on it and you can now purchase different colored doors.

Cons:
The extra little button just above the fire bar can get touched by accident.
The screen didn't seem very responsive for being a touch screen.
The case it comes with is kind of pointless(it only covers the corners and slides around easliy)
Updating the firmware can be a pain but as long as you DON'T follow Smok's instructions it's easier. (Release fire bar at step 3 not 5)

The Captain

Pros:
Modes(Soft, Norm, Hard, and User)
The User mode is a lot like the Vaporesso OMNI board and Tesla Steampunk Nano 120 to where you can curve your wattage by each second. Great when using RTA/RDTA.
The amount of information that is displayed on screen.
The feel is great in the hand with a big square firing button on the side.
Will accommodate a 31mm tank with no overhang.
The option to use dual 20700 or 18650 batteries.
(There is an option with some vendors to only get the 18650 sleeve or 2x20700 and the sleeve.
There are optional side stickers to change if you want or don't like the carbon fibre stock ones. You also can change the back face plate

Cons:
The faceplate and backplate can scuff easily.
The hinge on the battery door could have been a bit tighter(like the Steampunk Nano is kinda loose).
The firmware update can be confusing at first( you need to download the installation.exe file first the the firmware update file. It took me 2 tries)

Both are good devices and when it comes down to it it's up to you. The size, shape, options, etc.

Hth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Digress

Jul 13, 2017
Kortrijk, Belgium
I have the G PRIV. really happy with it, but I've only owned smok guardian 3 (I like) and joyetech ego aio (which I abhor) so I'm not really good at comparisons. I really like the g priv, it came with 1.8 firmware so I don't need to upgrade it ATM. I'm really happy with it. It's heavy, but I don't mind. Battery life is good (currently vape at 75 watt) and it lasts around two days on a charge. Touch screen is nice and responsive. You can't turn it off while charging though. And when you turn it on, the screen is unlocked by default, which means make sure to turn it off before vaping so you don't burn your coil. I use it with TFV8 big baby. Battery door is fine but I charge it with usb so without external charger. I usually charge it at 825 mA, sometimes with my OnePlus One dash charger at 2100 mA.

It feels like a quality build, and I like the look also. The interface is very intuitive. The fire bar is not too sensitive. I'd like to get some other mods to compare it, like the joyetech ocular c and the Tesla touch. Don't think I'll go back to non-touch fast. While I like my guardian, I hated messing with the settings because it was too much hassle. The touch screen means it's easy to adjust. Smok's is real simple. There are of course improvements to be made, but for this generation it's quite nice.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
G-priv all the way. The ijoy is an ok mod but it has some issues on some like reading resistance inaccuracies. It isn't the biggest deal but the g-priv doesn't have these issues or any issues that have been reported on a large scale. I'm sure there is plenty of people who will disagree but my opinion is the g-priv without a doubt.

Reactions: iamtezr

Adonaros

Oct 6, 2016
Thanks everyone, sorry for the late reply, a friend ordered the G-Priv and soon he will get it and im going to see it better up-close but for now i will not buy G-Priv or the Captain.
Im looking forward for the Smok Procolor but i will wait and see if it will have paint issues like the alien, if it has paint issues im going to buy G-Priv.
Captain for me is a no after i search it a little more i see a lot of people having problems reading ohm correct and aslo at how easy the screen scratches as @Tonee N mention in the first reply. (but i would love to have the rainbow color looks amazing :D )

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Both my Captain's and Gen3 are working fine so far(must have got good ones lol). On the G-Priv to update release the fire bar before step 5[emoji106]. I bought skins for my Captain's so I don't need to look at scratches. My Smok GX2/4 has car finish paint compared to my Alien. I will have my Procolor Kit in 6 hours so hopefully it will have the new paint. I gave up my G-Priv to get the Smoant Charon TS(more features).

Reactions: Skold

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Anyone seen my captain?
I can't find it.[emoji6]
dc9601547cef1105b3655a9b60100b89.jpg

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Both my Captain's and Gen3 are working fine so far(must have got good ones lol). On the G-Priv to update release the fire bar before step 5[emoji106]. I bought skins for my Captain's so I don't need to look at scratches. My Smok GX2/4 has car finish paint compared to my Alien. I will have my Procolor Kit in 6 hours so hopefully it will have the new paint. I gave up my G-Priv to get the Smoant Charon TS(more features).

Smoant charon & battlestar are best mods for price an even do TC well!
I have a G-Priv but I don't really like touchscreen mods. Alien has same chip & feels better in the hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread