Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So, first week with this. I'm still using the chip coil and haven't needed to rewick yet. It's become just about my favorite tank with great flavor and lots of vapor. This tank really took me by surprise. I have been rotating it so it's not like I'm hitting it all day long, but I'm sure in the next week I'll have to change the wick. I'm hoping it goes smoothly, as I have no replacements yet, and the only place I could find it in stock was FT, so we know how long that will take (it has at least shipped and cleared Beijing). I guess if I make a mess of it I'll get to play with the RTA, but I'm not in any rush.

My other recent tank that takes a factory coil is the Ultimo. I got it to try the ceramic coil, and it has a rewickable notch coil. The ceramic is a bust to date with bad leaking issues. The notch is OK, and I expect I can get several rewickings out of it, but it doesn't compare to this tank. One good thing it's only 22 mm so good for my Pico.

I am ordering another Tornado for the stash. Well worth it.

Reactions: cigatron

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
@Eskie , glad you like it. Sounds like you got a chip coil that isn't overwicked, ie tons of wicktail plugging off juice flow. Mine started out fine at 88w, then over the period of one day I had to reduce power to 55w but based on how well it performed at first I rewicked it with rayon and never looked back. I should post a tutorial?
BTW I've not had great success rewicking notch coils. The legs were so fragile on the ones I had. They are easy enough to wick by holding them with your fingers before installing them but rewicking was not so easy.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A tutorial? Sure, if you have the photos. I love seeing what I should do before butchering it myself.

The rewicked notch coils on the Ultimo don't have soldered legs. instead, the coil stands upright/vertical in the chamber and the cotton is wrapped around the outside, then slid back into the coil chamber itself. Didn't work the first time I tried as I didn't realize how the top edge had to precisely fit the cap to complete the circuit, but I finally got it down. It's still not in this chip coil class, though.

I did get some good news that my chip coils from FT processed through NY, so I should have them sometime this week. At least then if I botch up the rewicking I won't be left without a coil (other than build myself). I guess I'll also find out how QC is on these with a bunch to compare. The wicking on mine is fine as is but I gather that's not always the case.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
A tutorial? Sure, if you have the photos. I love seeing what I should do before butchering it myself.

LMAO! I'll try to take some pics tomorrow, it's time to rewick.

The rewicked notch coils on the Ultimo don't have soldered legs. instead, the coil stands upright/vertical in the chamber and the cotton is wrapped around the outside
Ok yeah, a chimney build.

I did get some good news that my chip coils from FT processed through NY, so I should have them sometime this week.
Awesome, interested in hearing your opinion on them. Post a link and a couple of pics before and after wicking.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
FYI, replacement chip coils arrived from FT. ~10 days from order to mailbox, pretty good for FT. Only ~$8.50, which is less than the only place I saw them in the US which was Vaporbeast who was out of stock anyway. I'll still be rewicking the original coil sometime this week and will post a few shots.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
And that rewicking was a bust. Started out well, wick out, dry burn coil, looked great. Tried to get the cotton in. Kept trying to get the cotton in. Tried forcing the cotton though. Poke with a small pointy object. Try some more.

Break chip material. What is that, some sorta ceramic? Good thing I had those replacement coils arrive the other day. So, new ship coil and give it a shot with the next round. I even start out taking pictures for a documentary. I'm bummed.

But not giving up!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'll try that trick next time. It looks like something that's a pain but can be done, so not so terrible for a first try. The new chip coil I placed works just fine, and not too much cotton. Once I get the rewicking down, I wonder how long it will be before I actually use the build deck it came with.

Oh, my second tank arrived today. I also ordered that chuff cap for it from Gearbest as the high drip tip isn't the most attractive look.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I finally did a build on the nano rba. Simple kanthal claptons. Flavor is no better than a rewicked chip coil imo and suffers from the same limitations as just about any rta out there these days; finicky wicking. A little too much wicktail in the juice channels forces reduced power levels to stop occasional dryish hits. Not enough wicktail causes problems with leaking.
So far I haven't nailed the wicking and unless I vape the tank dry before refilling it pours out 1/2ml of juice while screwing on the top fill cap.
If it has to be the fussy I'll probably just switch back to rewicking chip coils.

TheBMP

Jan 6, 2016
I finally did a build on the nano rba. Simple kanthal claptons. Flavor is no better than a rewicked chip coil imo and suffers from the same limitations as just about any rta out there these days; finicky wicking. A little too much wicktail in the juice channels forces reduced power levels to stop occasional dryish hits. Not enough wicktail causes problems with leaking.
So far I haven't nailed the wicking and unless I vape the tank dry before refilling it pours out 1/2ml of juice while screwing on the top fill cap.
If it has to be the fussy I'll probably just switch back to rewicking chip coils.

the nano is one of the 2 only tanks ive been using for months now (other is a griffin 25).

For me dry hits never were a problem,huge juice channels + rayon tends to help with that that ;). For leaking while filling i havent gotten it 100% consistent yet either but i found a workaround that works almost always.

close AF, after unscrewing topcap put a finger(or whatever) at the chimney so the pressure/air inside of the coilchamber cant get out and fill up. then just quickly screw the cap on and turn it upside down so air can get out at the end.
Not as chill as just closing a jfc but really not a big problem either and keeps it dry even when you slightly missed the perfect wick.

i still love the nano for its price and awesome flavor and overall performance.

/edit youre a rayon user as well iirc right? i sometimes just stuff barely trimmed wicks in the channels and get no dry hits at all at like ~60-70w&0.2-.35ohms. you using it at higher power?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
/edit youre a rayon user as well iirc right? i sometimes just stuff barely trimmed wicks in the channels and get no dry hits at all at like ~60-70w&0.2-.35ohms. you using it at higher power?
Yes and Yes. I use rayon and vape at 85-90w with dual claptons. No dry hits, just dryish occasionally.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm still using the chip coils in it. Haven't had a chance to even try the build deck as the performance with those coils is so good. I really should get around to building it out and see how it goes. It's still on my favorite tanks list (although I am on a big kick with the OBS Engine, hands down the best flavor tank I've ever tried).

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@cigatron The OBS Engine isn't a Genny setup. Bottom Velocity deck, but with top air only, so no leaks unless you really work at it. I'm really not a high wattage big cloud vaper, and really go for flavor and restricted DL. The Engine has flavor on par, and IMHO, slightly better than a Merlin, which was my #1 flavor tank.

The Engine does still give a good cloud, just not competition level. But the flavor is amazing, and the no leak thing is great. I've even had it upside down in my pocket (by accident) and still had no leaking even out the top airflow. I'm using SS builds so it's all in TC for me, but I know folks who have thrown dual claptons in there and had terrific flavor and cloud. Also dead simple to wick. I liked it enough to get two, one in SS and one in black.

I have an L+ too, and honestly, the Engine beats the L+ hands down for flavor. Like all opinions, YMMV. There's a thread on here about it, and a good review from DJLsb Vapes on YouTube you can check out.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
@cigatron The OBS Engine isn't a Genny setup. Bottom Velocity deck, but with top air only, so no leaks unless you really work at it. I'm really not a high wattage big cloud vaper, and really go for flavor and restricted DL. The Engine has flavor on par, and IMHO, slightly better than a Merlin, which was my #1 flavor tank.

The Engine does still give a good cloud, just not competition level. But the flavor is amazing, and the no leak thing is great. I've even had it upside down in my pocket (by accident) and still had no leaking even out the top airflow. I'm using SS builds so it's all in TC for me, but I know folks who have thrown dual claptons in there and had terrific flavor and cloud. Also dead simple to wick. I liked it enough to get two, one in SS and one in black.

I have an L+ too, and honestly, the Engine beats the L+ hands down for flavor. Like all opinions, YMMV. There's a thread on here about it, and a good review from DJLsb Vapes on YouTube you can check out.

So it is an RTA, my bad. DJ's review was really good. I'll pick one up and put it against my fav tank for flavor, the Aspire Quad Flex. Should be interesting.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So it is an RTA, my bad. DJ's review was really good. I'll pick one up and put it against my fav tank for flavor, the Aspire Quad Flex. Should be interesting.

Post back if you get it after a few days of use. I'm always interested in other people's opinions on this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread