Iken, When is Midnight, Today or Tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Iken, again that was a fun contest, even if I didn't win. Big congrats to those that did!!!

But.....

When exactly is Midnight? The contest was to run until midnight of the 30th. So I was really surprised when I went to post my entry for today to see that the contest was done!

I've always operated under the assumption that Midnight was the end of a day. As a result of this contest I did a little, little, looking and was unable to find anything REALLY definitive as to whether Midnight is the end of a day or the start of a day.

The Wikipedia entry for Midnight starts out by saying "In most systems it is when one day ends and the next begins: when the date changes." Similar elsewhere, not really what I'm after.

Please note, this is not a complaint in any way!! Rather, one of those oddball things that makes a body go "Hmmm, hadn't really thought about it before". Least ways I hadn't...

So, If I was going to give a Million dollars to the 1st person that met me at exactly midnight on the 31st of January, would that totally fictional event take place tonight, or tomorrow night.

Is there an accepted convention? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Where did you say WE were meting again?(Checking watch for correct time!!)

:)The Wiz!

The where comes after a definitive answer regarding the When! :)

Anyone?

"So, If I was going to give a Million dollars to the 1st person that met me at exactly midnight on the 31st of January, would that totally fictional event take place tonight, or tomorrow night."

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
W@W! How in the world did I miss all this!? :lol:
Well honestly the way I was looking at it was like the contest would end on the 30th, meaning the very beginning of the day itself. Like Newyears night being the 31st compared to New years day. The time to celebrate would be on the a.m. of Newyears. It's hard to say because Midnight is also the beginning of a new day. Lol just like wiki. Now you have me rambling! and with each every word, I'm convinced that I was wrong :p :lol:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
hehe
Makes ya wanna go hmmmm.

Apparently not a right or a wrong answer to be had, just one of those silly bits.:D
I did a bit more searching and what I came up with was don't use Midnight as an appointment time cuz at least half of all people will think start of the day, t'other will be there that the end of the day :lol:

Oh yeah Iken, super tempting e-mail, I may need to sell my 901 stockpile for some extra cash.

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
lol exactly.

I actually used to have to deal with that issue often because we do some High School Prom events in my business and the girls in the office would schedule something for 12am 1/30/10 (for example) and I would have to ask them which day it was actually for. Of course things get reserved so far before I get to scheduling them that they usually wouldn't remember. So finally I got them in the habit of remembering to schedule it for 11:50pm the night of/before.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
My wife cooks at hospital. Similar deal when getting pre/post op food orders from staff. The orders would be done up days in advance and would include directions along the lines of "not to be served after midnight xx/xx/xxxx"

?

After enough questions the staff now does the same thing you mentioned, no more mention of midnight. The doctors and patients are all happier for it.:)

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Yeah, I too was a bit confused when the contest ended "early" based on my definition of midnight being the end of the stated day. Not sour grapes, just confusion based on semantics and differing definitions. It was a great and generous contest!

There ya have it Iken. I weren't the only one! :rolleyes:

So now ya gotta do another really killer generous giveaway that is a lot of fun just participating in let alone winning and it's gotta run until
11:59 PM xx/xx/xxxx ;)

Or not.....:D

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
aha!!!

okay I know this thread is only about technicality and not about complaining at all but it made me just as curious when it came about. I don't know why this didn't occur to me until now but it didn't. So now that it occurred to me I decided to see if I could find a post on the forum that was made at midnight and I actually found one right in the contest thread.....

01-28-2010, 11:48 PM #465
Chefdeuce

01-29-2010, 12:00 AM #466
RebelDevil

01-29-2010, 12:03 AM #467
Bekinder

So technically, although it may have not been made at the exact second, midnight on the forum coincides with the start of a day ;)

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
aha!!!

okay I know this thread is only about technicality and not about complaining at all but it made me just as curious when it came about. I don't know why this didn't occur to me until now but it didn't. So now that it occurred to me I decided to see if I could find a post on the forum that was made at midnight and I actually found one right in the contest thread.....

So technically, although it may have not been made at the exact second, midnight on the forum coincides with the start of a day ;)

This is what I found: So what does this mean?

12-31-1999, 11:48 PM #465
lightgeoduck
01-01-1900, 12:00 AM #466
geoducklight
01-01-1900, 12:03 AM #467
ducklightgeo

1. I don:t have a y2k compliant computer
2. and follow Prince:s advice and party like he77

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
This is what I found: So what does this mean?

1. I don:t have a y2k compliant computer
2. and follow Prince:s advice and party like he77

giggle-animated-animation-giggle-smiley-emoticon-000389-large.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread