billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Like many people, I had for months eagerly awaited the availability of Ikenvape's RY4. Now, Ikenvape is not a juice site. In fact, RY4 is the only liquid Ikenvape sells. Why? Well, therein lies a story:

Back in the day, Dekang created a series of juices named Ruyan #1, #2, #3, and #4, or just RY1-4 for short. RY4 was the crown of the line, sort of like the Chanel #5 of juices---a slightly-sweet concoction of caramel-vanilla-tobacco with some additional subtle flavors (no one knows for sure). For many vapers back then, RY4 was their all-day vape, the juice that helped them quit cigarettes.

Then, in mid-2010, Dekang's chemist left the company with some bad feeling, or so the story goes, taking with him his original formula for RY4, the ingredients and blending of which were apparently a big secret that only he knew. A new, ersatz RY4 was hastily formulated, but vapers quickly screamed that this knock-off RY4 was NOT the same. Ever since, every backyard juice alchemist from Shanghai to San Francisco and Beijing to Biloxi has been trying (apparently without success) to replicate the lost formula. Users throughout the vaping community bemoaned the loss of that fabled RY4, which has achieved almost mythic status in the year since its disappearance.

Enter Isaac at Ikenvape, who resolved to solve the riddle by recreating the "original" RY4, which is at last for sale on the IKV web site (at least occasionally; mostly, it's out of stock).

Well, I bought some, and this is my review. The caveat is that I was able to purchase only the VG version (actually a 70/30 blend of VG-to-PG), which I read is not quite as flavorful as the PG version (70/30 the other way). So bear that in mind.

My "qualifications" are that I have a LOT of different vendors' RY4s in my juice stash: Backwoods Brew (my 30ml bottle is down to about 2ml now), Madvapes Dekang, Freedom Smoke USA, Liberty-Flights, Nhaler, Bluemist, Vapemasters, Mist-Stix, Vapor Station, Voidmist, and Awesome Vapor. I've also RY4 variants from Vaperite (VR4), VS Vapor (VS4), and Vapure (VY4), or even iVape (Sweet Caroline) and Want2Vape (Rock Star). I like some better than others, but they are all finally variations on a theme. (Never had Riskee or Dulcis, though.)

I've read a couple other threads reviewing the new IKV RY4, and the posts are almost unanimously over-the-top in singing the praises of this juice. Unbelievable, fabulous, terrific! People seem to be going ape over this stuff. Except me, that is. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not about to review the IKV RY4 as lousy. No, it's pretty good. But after all the hype and waiting, I expected something truly amazing, and---for me at least---my high expectations have not been met.

What does the Ikenvape RY4 taste like? Well, surprisingly enough---to my palate at least---the flavor is almost identical to the Madvapes "China Liquid" (Dekang) RY4 in the 50ml bottle that's been steeping since I bought it back in November, 2010. Throat hit has slightly more impact with the Madvapes RY4, but that's because it's 24mg rather than the IKV's 18mg. Otherwise, I can't tell a substantive difference. Both are not too sweet, with more tobacco-like presence than many of the other RY4s I listed. Also, both have singular flavor, meaning well-blended. I can't pick out the vanilla or caramel or any other flavor as separate nuances.

But wait, isn't the Madvapes DK version the reformulated RY4? Well, I certainly thought so, but all I can honestly report is that to my taste buds the flavor is almost exactly the same as the new/old IKV RY4.

All in all, Ikenvape's "original" RY4 is pretty good stuff---two and a half stars out of four, maybe even three stars if the PG version has more flavor than the VG I have---but it's not the return of the Avatar.

There you have it. All right, now everyone can chime in and tell me how wrong I am. LOL.

Last edited:

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
Bill....

Your words are always no nonsense and to the point.
Like you said, there are a lot of people who sing the praises of all kinds of things,
but have no frame of reference as to what they are singing the praises of....

Thanks for your review!
I have a lot of respect for your opinion!

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Bill....

Your words are always no nonsense and to the point.
Like you said, there are a lot of people who sing the praises of all kinds of things,
but have no frame of reference as to what they are singing the praises of....

Thanks for your review!
I have a lot of respect for your opinion!

but there are also a lot of well established members that do have a frame of reference. not trying to argue or fight just putting the other side out there.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Like many people, I had for months eagerly awaited the availability of Ikenvape's RY4. Now, Ikenvape is not a juice site. In fact, RY4 is the only liquid Ikenvape sells. Why? Well, therein lies a story:

Back in the day, Dekang created a series of juices named Ruyan #1, #2, #3, and #4, or just RY1-4 for short. RY4 was the crown of the line, sort of like the Chanel #5 of juices---a slightly-sweet concoction of caramel-vanilla-tobacco with some additional subtle flavors (no one knows for sure). For many vapers back then, RY4 was their all-day vape, the juice that helped them quit cigarettes.

Then, in mid-2010, Dekang's chemist left the company with some bad feeling, or so the story goes, taking with him his original formula for RY4, the ingredients and blending of which were apparently a big secret that only he knew. A new, ersatz RY4 was hastily formulated, but vapers quickly screamed that this knock-off RY4 was NOT the same. Ever since, every backyard juice alchemist from Shanghai to San Francisco and Beijing to Biloxi has been trying (apparently without success) to replicate the lost formula. Users throughout the vaping community bemoaned the loss of that fabled RY4, which has achieved almost mythic status in the year since its disappearance.

Enter Isaac at Ikenvape, who resolved to solve the riddle by recreating the "original" RY4, which is at last for sale on the IKV web site (at least occasionally; mostly, it's out of stock).

Well, I bought some, and this is my review. The caveat is that I was able to purchase only the VG version (actually a 70/30 blend of VG-to-PG), which I read is not quite as flavorful as the PG version (70/30 the other way). So bear that in mind.

My "qualifications" are that I have a LOT of different vendors' RY4s in my juice stash: Backwoods Brew (my 30ml bottle is down to about 2ml now), Madvapes Dekang, Freedom Smoke USA, Liberty-Flights, Nhaler, Bluemist, Vapemasters, Mist-Stix, Vapor Station, Voidmist, and Awesome Vapor. I've also RY4 variants from Vaperite (VR4), VS Vapor (VS4), and Vapure (VY4), or even iVape (Sweet Caroline) and Want2Vape (Rock Star). I like some better than others, but they are all finally variations on a theme. (Never had Riskee or Dulcis, though.)

I've read a couple other threads reviewing the new IKV RY4, and the posts are almost unanimously over-the-top in singing the praises of this juice. Unbelievable, fabulous, terrific! People seem to be going ape over this stuff. Except me, that is. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not about to review the IKV RY4 as lousy. No, it's pretty good. But after all the hype and waiting, I expected something truly amazing, and---for me at least---my high expectations have not been met.

What does the Ikenvape RY4 taste like? Well, surprisingly enough---to my palate at least---the flavor is almost identical to the Madvapes "China Liquid" (Dekang) RY4 in the 50ml bottle that's been steeping since I bought it back in November, 2010. Throat hit has slightly more impact with the Madvapes RY4, but that's because it's 24mg rather than the IKV's 18mg. Otherwise, I can't tell a substantive difference. Both are not too sweet, with more tobacco-like presence than many of the other RY4s I listed. Also, both have singular flavor, meaning well-blended. I can't pick out the vanilla or caramel or any other flavor as separate nuances.

But wait, isn't the Madvapes DK version the reformulated RY4? Well, I certainly thought so, but all I can honestly report is that to my taste buds the flavor is almost exactly the same as the new/old IKV RY4.

All in all, Ikenvape's "original" RY4 is pretty good stuff---two and a half stars out of four, maybe even three stars if the PG version has more flavor than the VG I have---but it's not the return of the Avatar.

There you have it. All right, now everyone can chime in and tell me how wrong I am. LOL.

If you are looking for the closes RY4 to the original (and I've tried almost as many as you have) the answer is: Janty's RY4.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
If you are looking for the closest RY4 to the original (and I've tried almost as many as you have) the answer is: Janty's RY4.
ditto...
and the Ikenvape is right up there with it...

I spent a lot of time buying various dekangs trying to find that classic ry4 like the one I got with my first kit...
I thought maybe I'd never find it...
It felt like I was "chasing the dragon..."
Then I found Janty and Dulcis...

Ikenvape's belongs with those two IMO...

(Never had Riskee or Dulcis, though.)

I believe riskee and dulcis are the exact same juice...

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
ditto...
and the Ikenvape is right up there with it...

I spent a lot of time buying various dekangs trying to find that classic ry4 like the one I got with my first kit...
I thought maybe I'd never find it...
It felt like I was "chasing the dragon..."
Then I found Janty and Dulcis...

Ikenvape's belongs with those two IMO...

I believe riskee and dulcis are the exact same juice...

I will check out IKEN's RY4. Where do you get "Dulcis"??

GERGOZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2011
McDonough, Ga
excellent review, bill, loved all the extra info, cleared things up for me

i have also tried the ikv-ry4 (vg) and liked it

i dont have near the expertise in this flavor as you but i now know that i want ry4 to be my all day vape

i am also in agreement with some other folks concerning the price at ikv, though, just a little much for me, not to mention the availability of the pg (stays sold out)

what would be your recommendation for best deal out there with all things considered....shipping cost and time, flavor, availability and cost....please- no steeping, i dont have the patience for that, it needs to be ready at the mailbox, lol

thanks for your time and input

gervis

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Update to original review:

When I did the review, I was dripping the IKV RY4 using a standard atty (2.3 ohms) at 4.4 volts.

Yesterday I filled two brand new cartos with the RY4---a 2.0 boge for my desk, and a 1.5 dual coil for my bedside. Well, turns out that the atty I was using must have been about 2/3 through its lifespan, because both flavor and throat hit were better with the cartos (I can taste a certain nuttiness now that I couidn't before). As a result, I'm upping my rating to a solid and glowing three stars out of four.

The other difference is that the former similarity I felt to Madvapes DK RY4 has paled a bit, and is replaced now by a new comparison: I find the carto-delivered IKV RY4 to be very similar to want2vape's Rock Star, which is an RY4 variant.

I'm definitely going to purchase the PG version of the Ikenvape RY4 whenever I get lucky enough to find it in stock at Ikenvape (all they have now in PG is 0 nic, which is not what I want).

JantyWorldUSA is out of both their Janty RY4 and RY4X, and on top of that their prices are outrageous. Vapor Talk rejected every coupon I tried for Dulcis, also a bit pricey, so I emptied my cart in a fit of pique. Those juices will just have to get along without me.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
........JantyWorldUSA is out of both their Janty RY4 and RY4X, and on top of that their prices are outrageous. Vapor Talk rejected every coupon I tried for Dulcis, also a bit pricey, so I emptied my cart in a fit of pique. Those juices will just have to get along without me.

Janty's RY4X tastes nothing like their RY4, IMO. And yes, their eliquid is more expensive. But it is a supply and demand world and the demand for their RY4 is quite high because it is quite good.

Sewknitty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2010
NY
shesaquitter.wordpress.com
bill, thanks for helping me figure out this flavor. I've only had one other RY4 and it was VaporRenu's Renu4U, one of the first bottles of juice I ever purchased. I didn't even know there was a RY4 then and when I found out I didn't know what it was supposed to taste like. The closest I could figure was, its supposed to be a caramel-y tobacco. When I got the IKV I put it aside to steep while I tried to remember why I ordered it. What if it was atty ruining? Or, what if I fell in love with it and had to contend with ordering multiple 10ml bottles every week?

I just decided. I like it because it is a caramel-y vape but is cleaner than a juice named Caramel (I have the PG based in 10mg). If there's tobacco the other element - vanilla or maple? - prevents it from dulling the flavor. That's my final answer, btw. :laugh: I can now stop wondering what the heck this juice is supposed to be like and just enjoy it.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
Where do you get "Dulcis"??

Vaportalk... and it is slightly cost prohibitive...

The interesting thing to note here is that the original or classic dekang RY4 is really terrific... and it's cheap!

The more expensive dulcis, riskee, ikenvape and janty - won't be significantly better as far as some folks are concerned... after all, they are imitating it.

I would... and I do spend the extra for the janty and ikenvape...
I like the base a little better - I don't get the heartburn - and I find the flavor slightly richer...

thedudeabides

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Boston
I don't think Ikenvape's pricing is very high at all, it's only $9 per 20ml. That puts it in the low to medium price range imo.

My only problem with this juice thus far has been finding it in stock to re-order some more. As far as taste, I still think this is the closest tasting to the original that I've had yet, and I prefer the VG, oddly enough. It just has a really up front highly refined DK tobacco base followed by that barely sweet flavor that reminds me of honey grahams.

It reminds me why I loved the original. It couldn't really be considered sweet, but the subtlety of the the sweetness really accentuatues a high quality tobacco base very well. I prefer lightly sweet tobacco vapes as my all day vapes, while the juices are vastly different, you'll notice they all have that same deadly combo that makes this (and the classic) RY4 one of my faves: Vaperite Rou's Toasted Hazlenut Tobacco, Vaporstation's Frisco, Alien Vision's Flue Cured Tobacco.

I find most RY4s nowadays way too sweet, I get lost trying to find the tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread