Im 54 years old, black and I quit smoking in three days after starting vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
Your cats vape? :) Cool. I have 2 feral kitties that adopted me after I found them taking shelter in the engine compartment of my Ram, gave them water and some of my dog's food to munch on. I call them Flo & Eddy. Anyway, they're not into vaping but they love to chase the vapor clouds when I'm sitting outside on the old rocking chair.

Hey everybody, I have been reading this forum for a few months and I decided to join since there needs to be some diversity in here. :2cool: Yes, black people do vape. I started smoking 35 years ago when I was in the USMC. I had snuck a few cigs from my mom when I was in junior high, to be with the "cool kids", but I was basically a book nerd so that didnt really go over well. In the Marines, I started in boot camp, and by the time that was over I was smoking about a pack a day. For years I smoked about a pack or a little less per day until later when the price started climbing and I started feeling winded at times. I cut to about half a pack a day, and sometimes it would be more than that. I have been a lifelong IT professional, and as I climbed up in my field, I found that personal interaction with people sometimes was affected by the smell of cigarette smoke and/or yellowed teeth. Im a middle class guy, not into the hip hop scene or any of the "hood" stuff usually associated with blacks in the media. Think a younger Cosby type (not the ......!), or perhaps Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air with a little more swag. :)

Anyway, I decided to try the cigalike...I think it was a Blu. That lasted for about two days, hated it. Then, I saw the Ego starter kit and I bought one. It had two 650mAh batteries (one black, one stainless) and two of the wick type cartomizers and I bought some tobacco flavored juice. This is how it starts for many of us. By day three with the Ego, I no longer wanted analog cigarettes. After a week, I actually hated the smell of them and I started noticing that many of my clothes had a tobacco smell to them. I washed down my apartment walls, all my clothes were taken to the cleaners, and I started noticing the new smells and tastes as a result of my senses returning to normal. That was in October of 2013 and I have not had a cigarette since.

Now, I have an extensive e-cigarette collection, and I even made a vape display for my gear which has as it's centerpiece my Vamo V2 mod. I have every type of tank including wax tanks. I still have my original plastic cartomizer and Ego batteries just for sentimental reasons. Here is the vape display I made:

View attachment 404165 View attachment 404166 View attachment 404168

From what I am seeing, many people who make the switch start vaping as a hobby. Well, I think I fall into that category. HOWEVER, I stop short of "cloud chasing". I dont want some big merchanical mod with coils where you have to drip juice on them just to get big ... clouds. That seems to be what the kids want and that's okay. I prefer to see it as a more fun way to "smoke" and get a bit of a higher end experience.

Anyway, HELLO PEOPLE! :laugh:

OOH-RAH!!! You're starting to see just how deep this crazy rabbit hole goes LOL!!!

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
I quit 4 packs a day cold turkey after way over 40 years of smoking.
Then a friend turned me on to Marley Blacks and since I like Captain Black Pipe 'bakky
I said, what the heck and tried it. Next thing I was at the store buying a pack.
The next day was my b-day and a couple days later father's day so my wife got me an e-cig
and that was that. I don't even smoke my pipe anymore.
You'll get over that cough in short measure.
I's your lungs cleaning out the goop.
Indeed, Thank Him... Regards, HazyShades

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
The rising cost of tobacco was one of my motivators but the main reason I quit is that I have a son, now 12 years old
(vitamins work) that considering his dad (me) is getting to be an old fart, wants to live long enough to watch finish becoming a man.
I'm real proud of my boy. And now that I quit and have stayed "clean" for a year and a half, he's real proud of me.
He even wants to start a vaping supplies business with me so I can get my goodies for free. He even wants to invest some of his paypal money for the enterprise.
Cool? I think so.

hate to break it to you bro, there are lots of black people on this forum, I really dont see what you being black has to do with what you were saying, but...thanks for your service tho

This is why, bro: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/401554-african-american-black-vaping.html

Capture.jpg

I think that link is self explanatory. :) You are the first black person I have seen on here. Would have been nicer (and classier) to have said hello instead of copping a 'tude, but hey, its all good to me. And I hate to break it to you, but the US vaping community is even less diverse than the actual population. I think it might be because the visibility of black people vaping is rather low. I live in California where there is no shortage of blacks on every socio-economic level, and I do not see vapers, only smokers. I am doing what I can to make it more visible.

Anyway, thanks for your comment? :unsure:

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
This is why, bro: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/401554-african-american-black-vaping.html

View attachment 404321

I think that link is self explanatory. :) You are the first black person I have seen on here. Would have been nicer (and classier) to have said hello instead of copping a 'tude, but hey, its all good to me. And I hate to break it to you, but the US vaping community is even less diverse than the actual population. I think it might be because the visibility of black people vaping is rather low. I live in California where there is no shortage of blacks on every socio-economic level, and I do not see vapers, only smokers. I am doing what I can to make it more visible.

Anyway, thanks for your comment? :unsure:

I wasnt copping an attitude, sorry if you took it that way. But if thats your experience okay. I know quite a few black vapers on here and in real life so, dunno. I dont really tend to think about that much anyway so...i guess it is what it is

I wasnt copping an attitude, sorry if you took it that way. But if thats your experience okay. I know quite a few black vapers on here and in real life so, dunno. I dont really tend to think about that much anyway so...i guess it is what it is

No worries...Im a very mellow dude. I took your comment as perhaps assuming I dont know anything about this place. I just joined last night, but this forum is a huge reason why I am a smoke-free vaper today. I wanted to throw my contributions into the mix and when I saw that poll, I was like "Huh? I know several black people who vape and I live and work mostly around non-blacks. It doesnt even really matter what "race" people are, but many blacks wont try stuff until they see their friends try it. I wasnt trying to do a Malcolm X moment! I am a straight up geek. :) I like your dreads a lot! I wish I could rock them. :( Anyway, I am sorry if I took your comment as a 'tude, you seem cool to me. ;)

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Well, I'm not black, but where I work, here in Costa Mesa, CA, there is a black guy that vapes. When I was struggling with vaping, and beginning to feel defeated, his monster clouds continued to inspire me to keep working on it. I even picked up a couple of Nautilus Minis because that's what he has. Turns out there's another black guy here that smokes, but he had been watching me vaping for some time, and now he wants to vape. Kinda interesting how things turn out.

fishking

Dec 24, 2014
Pocono Mountains
I don't think it's big Tobacco that hates vaping as they will be further into this business in no time, this is their next evolution. It's the other companies that want the real regulation, Nicoderm, Chantrix, Nicotine gum companies. Vaping is hurting them more than anything, let's face it many smokers try to quit with those products only to return to smoking until they are ready to try again, My wife left me..back to smoking, I lost my job..back to smoking, the dog is pregnant...back to smoking..you get the idea, vaping is the future and the future is now..(corny I know, but true)

I don't think it's big Tobacco that hates vaping as they will be further into this business in no time, this is their next evolution. It's the other companies that want the real regulation, Nicoderm, Chantrix, Nicotine gum companies. Vaping is hurting them more than anything, let's face it many smokers try to quit with those products only to return to smoking until they are ready to try again, My wife left me..back to smoking, I lost my job..back to smoking, the dog is pregnant...back to smoking..you get the idea, vaping is the future and the future is now..(corny I know, but true)

So you didnt know? Nicoderm, Chantix, and several cigalikes are owned lock stock and barrel by Big Tobacco. They will never be cool enough to get into the mod/juice market, and even if they did, would you buy from them? :) I actually research juice companies/vendors to see if they are connected to Big Tobacco on the down low. I discovered the connection with Blu, Green Smoke, Vuze and others. I only buy from independent companies now and Big Tobacco has nothing to compete with mods and Ego vape rigs.

They want you to consume something that is disposable so that you have to buy more. It is the "razor blade model". It only works when the masses do not understand the strategy behind it. 4% nicotine in a disposable cigalike = just enough to hook you (and satiate you), but not enough to satisfy you. And there are only tobacco flavors like bold, mild and menthol. That way, when you run out, real cigarettes still seem appealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread