Status
Not open for further replies.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
That's pretty funny! I'll never understand why companies like this do not hire English proofreaders.
One of my all time favorites, from a local Chinese food take out menu:
" We can the spice to alter your taste "!!!
Oh wait, maybe they can cure vapor tongue!!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
This is one of my all time favorites. I still have no idea what they where attempting to convey that got lost in translation.

eyesofgoddessimage.jpg

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
I think it's funny how most American vendors tend to have websites that sound like this.

I just want to tell them to grow up, it's not 2008 anymore. People get that there's no tar and no ashes in e-cigarettes. And with that, who the heck even calls them e-cigarettes, e-cigs, e-smokes, or whatever the heck else? I don't know one person at the supermarket I used to work at who went up and said, "What e-cigs are you selling?". It's always, "Do you have any of those electronic cigarettes?" No one cares about any sort of trendy name.

I also am beginning to laugh at every product claiming to have some magical way of not tasting dry. The designs of tank and clearo devices haven't changed whatsoever in a couple years. It's all the exact same stuff, same heads being used. All that. The gimmicks just get me too much sometimes.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Great topic! I am always amazed when travelling how much we all really "try hard" to speak one another's languages. You want to respect the other person's language, and not totally mash it.

I taught english as a second language for a while, and also was with Volunteers for Literacy, so I also had the (great priviledge) of teaching people to read (yes, there are americans who never learned and there is nothing that can compare to opening up that door for somebody in their 50s or 60s!) ... and you just learn so much about people

Last edited:

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
This is one of my all time favorites. I still have no idea what they where attempting to convey that got lost in translation.

eyesofgoddessimage.jpg

Remember the Kamry box device, with "Newfangled Wooden Materials Ecig Mod K600 For Exhibition" ? It also has this amazing quality,
" 1.Wood Environmental Protection Material"

K600 From Kamry Professional Manufacturer of Electronic Cigarettes | Shenzhen Kamry Technology Co., Ltd|E-Cigarette,Electronic Cigarette

Remember, always use the Newfangled wood, it makes a better exhibition and protects the environment.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Can live with it in the ads ...

gets downright interesting though when trying to assemble/install something with a manual translated the same way....

Bought this cheap wall clock for self-assembly with a humongous battery pack ...
Funny that it's running backwards ( like a countdown ). Maybe I should begin to worry about them odd markings on the battery pack. Looking close. That umbrella sign looks pretty much like a little mushroom cloud... Hmmm...

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
I think that the Chinese language must be very poetic. I had the opportunity to present at a seminar in China a few years ago and spent a week afterwards touring around. There was a sign on a patch of sandy grass near the beach that in North America would simply say "Keep off the grass". As this was in Sanya, Hainan province (China does beach resort) there were multiple translations - Russian, English and several character based languages.

The English version read, "Please do not disturb, tiny grass is dreaming".

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
That's pretty funny! I'll never understand why companies like this do not hire English proofreaders.
One of my all time favorites, from a local Chinese food take out menu:
" We can the spice to alter your taste "!!!
Oh wait, maybe they can cure vapor tongue!!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mm, that's when you know you're about to have some GOOD chinese though.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
I think that the Chinese language must be very poetic. I had the opportunity to present at a seminar in China a few years ago and spent a week afterwards touring around. There was a sign on a patch of sandy grass near the beach that in North America would simply say "Keep off the grass". As this was in Sanya, Hainan province (China does beach resort) there were multiple translations - Russian, English and several character based languages.

The English version read, "Please do not disturb, tiny grass is dreaming".

I think it is! I've lived with a couple of Chinese of people, and they've taught me some awesome facts. Like I think the Chinese word for 'delicious' is just the two logograms for 'fish' and 'sheep'. So 'fish-sheep'.

Here are some names they use, literally translated, for other countries - edit: I stand corrected, looks from the comments that that's actually a misrepresentation, in that many (most?) of them are just phonetic accidents. Still funny though...]

http://www.haohaoreport.com/l/41985

It's no wonder we struggle to learn languages across this gulf. It seems like such a different way of coalescing thought into little manageable chunks... I've even heard that the Chinese have a form of dyslexia which isn't like ours, and if you speak both languages you can be dyslexic in Chinese but not English, or vice versa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread