I'm Boycotting Five Pawns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Vaako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
CT
I'm not sure if anyone else received or read their emailing that was sent out over the weekend. If you didn't let me share what caught my attention.

"We’ve always taken great pride in leading the vaping industry in not only the quality, but also the safety of our product. We were among the first to implement sealed and puncture resistant glass bottles, child resistant caps and we recently updated our warning labels.

As we all know, nicotine can be a dangerous substance if used irresponsibly. To do our part to address this risk, beginning August 15, 2014 five pawns is discontinuing the strongest 24mg nicotine strength from our line. The highest nicotine strength available from Five Pawns after August 15 will be 18mg."

Now, we can all add our nicotine. Does it add a level of annoyance to do that? Yes. The bigger issue that I have is Five Pawns taking the holier than thou approach and calling themselves a "leader". Who are they leading???

We are all fighting to keep our rights to vape whatever strength juices we wish to vape. Why stop there Five Pawns? Go ahead an take all of the nicotine out of your products if it's so dangerous. Even your next highest juice that you're still selling would be dangerous "if used irresponsibly"!

This is Five Pawns, marketing themselves a leader when all they're doing is caving to public pressure from non-vapers who want to take vaping away all together. This is also Five Pawns saying that the current safety measures that the FDA proposed are not enough.

Five Pawns, you're not a leader, you're a hypocrite and a sell out. You should lead yourself out of business and give back every penny you've made from the core vaping community that put you on the map in the first place.

Even if I'm the only one - I'm not contributing another penny to Five Pawns. You might not like their juices or 24mg juice in general, but I suggest that you seriously consider their actions as a slap in the face to every consumer who has made the vaping industry what it is today.

TheProphet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
Benbrook, TX, USA
I'll still buy from them. I didn't care for Gambit but there are still liquids I want to try.

Why does no longer carrying 24mg due to health concerns make them a sell out? Plenty of other brands won't carry that high for the same reason. Just because they're the first "high profile" brand to do so?

I will continue to support 5 Pawns.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I am not a Five Pawns fan because of the price but I am a fan of 24mg. It's all I vape. Now Five Pawns is simply even more unattainable for me.

I'm not super angry about it since I'm not a regular customer anyway, but I do only shop at places that carry 24mg.

I know that a lot of vapors don't vape that high of a mg, so perhaps that is another reason they are not selling it that high, because it doesn't sell, and they are masking the reason by saying they want to be "safer".

Who knows. Take it with a grain of salt.

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
how about they lead their price to something reasonable

I have never tried it as I can't see spending that kind of money on juice. I know about all the hoopla on how great it is but would rather save some money for something better than expensive juice. Also not everyone loves it either. I quit smoking for one to feel better and breath better I didn't quit smoking to go broke either on vaping. Some of these juice companies are over rated and over priced. We have other juice companies that are great that you don't have to pay 2 arms and legs for. Just my 2 cents for the day :)

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Maybe you all should mail them these researches.

How much nicotine kills a human? Tracing back the generally accepted lethal dose to dubious self-experiments in the nineteenth century - Springer
How Toxic Is E-Liquid? | ECITA Blog

European officials have been wrongly labelling e-liquid as extremely toxic. This is the view of ECITA, based on a report by toxicology consultants which has been verified by Professors Riccardo Polosa and Bernd Mayer, and Dr Jacques Le Houezec. The civil servants had been misclassifying e-liquid as either a CLP category 2 product, alongside strychnine, or a category 3 product, alongside formaldehyde. The new report demonstrates that the acute oral and dermal toxic hazards of the strongest consumer e-liquids only merit being classed as category 4 – along with washing-up liquid – while the vast majority of e-liquid (which has nicotine concentrations below 25mg/ml or 2.5%) does not require any type of formal hazard warning. ECITA will still mandate its members to provide clearly labelled e-liquid in child-proof containers.
The consequence is that all e-liquids with a concentration of less than 2.5% (25 mg/ml) should not be classified under the EC regulation [for acute oral or dermal toxicity], and that higher nicotine concentrations (up to 5% or 50 mg/ml for dermal classification, and even higher for oral classification) should be considered as CPL category 4”.

It seems fairly conclusive, therefore, that the generally assumed CLP (or CPL, for most non-English speaking countries) classification of nicotine is in fact, incorrect.

4nic8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
Lake Mary, FL
The high cost argument always kills me, if it's too expensive just don't buy it, if you have the money and enjoy the product then go ahead and buy it, they created their juice and choose to target a higher end market and have obviously been successful thus far. I buy 5 pawns gambit cause I greatly enjoy it and for me the price is worth it. That being said I'd love to own an Aston Martin Vantage but I simply can't afford it, that doesn't mean they are over charging, they simply have a product targeted to a specific market and it's working for them, sure if they charged less they would sell more but that's not what they want to do.

To the OP, I don't consider it a slap in the face, I think of it as a business decision, they feel they are doing right and as was said previously many other vendors don't offer 24mg strength, to be honest I don't know that 24mg strength was a huge seller for them either and that may be another reason they decided to stop offering it they just are not going to list every reason.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm a Firm Believer that a Company like this can Limit things like Nicotine Levels or Flavoring Percentages if they Choose to.

I am Also a Firm Believer that if a Consumer Doesn't Like a Companies Product, then in a Free Market, they can Buy from Someone Else.

Doesn't seem like a Big Deal.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
The only thing that annoys me about Five Pawns is the way they handle press releases, well, the way they word things.

They seem to covert getting under people's skin, being controversial in their claims and making everything seem like it is a thousand times better than it is through overblown descriptions.
Yes, these are all good marketing methods for gaining attention, but they do come across as pretentious something holes.

Aside from all the sewage coming out of their collective mouth, I only would judge them on the merits of their juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread