I'm confused on battery voltage & VV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
OK, so I'm not sure where the VV comes into play or how rather it happens. Looking around and reading and viewing video's I don't know how you van get above 3.7V form a single battery in a vv. The Lava Tube for instance. It has a single 18650 3.7V battery, Yet it can produce up to 6V. How does that happen?

Thanks in advance!

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
They use a boost circuit.

From Provape's website:

How can the ProVari take a 3.7V Battery and bump it up to 6.0V?

The ProVari uses a special circuit called a Boost Circuit. This technology has been around for many years and is very reliable. This same technology is also used in the new hybrid electric Toyota Prius™ vehicles.

The boost circuit is capable of increasing the voltage from 3.7 to a higher setting of your choice and it does it very efficiently.

Most variable voltage devices on the market use a linear regulator which are only about 50% efficient. The ProVari is 95% efficient. This means longer run times and on a single battery. Single battery devices are the safest you can own!

Johnny2puffs

Moved On
Oct 9, 2011
A variable voltage/wattage device uses a booster circuit to give the higher out put voltage/wattage. Its along the same principal as a transformer it can either step up the voltage or step it down.
So, what you saying is that the 3.7v DC is changed to AC with an inverter and then stepped up with a transformer to 6v AC and then back to DC with diodes?
How on earth can all this fit into the pv? The inverter itself would take a shoebox size at least never mind the transformer.
I know it works, but HOW.
We all know that a transformer works only with AC.

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
So, what you saying is that the 3.7v DC is changed to AC with an inverter and then stepped up with a transformer to 6v AC and then back to DC with diodes?
How on earth can all this fit into the pv? The inverter itself would take a shoebox size at least never mind the transformer.
I know it works, but HOW.
We all know that a transformer works only with AC.

The booster circuit is DC. How it works is when the mod is adjusted above the batteries capable voltage it coverts the batteries current into voltage to get the higher voltage output. That's why high drain (IMR) batteries are recommend to use with a booster circuit, they are capable of higher current output than protected.

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
How it works is when the mod is adjusted above the batteries capable voltage it coverts the batteries current into voltage to get the higher voltage output.
I've been trying to make sense of this,but I'm not sure what you mean. Current is an expression of electrical flow through a circuit. Voltage is an expression of potential from the battery. You will only be able to measure current through a circuit when a battery is in line with a completed circuit under load, whereas the battery will have potential always unless it is dead.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
A voltage converter/regulator is what is used to get to the higher output. It sits in the middle, between the battery and the load.

A battery is an energy store, has so many watt-hours of available energy, equal to the voltage of the battery times the amp-hour rating of the battery. The energy is released as power, watts, when a load is placed on it, equal to volts times amps.

The incoming power is transformable, can be converted into different numbers for the volts and amps, just that the product of those two values, the output power, is a value slightly less than the input. This conversion loss is represented by the efficiency number for a particular transformer, a value under 1. For instance, a 95% efficient transformer takes 10 watts incoming power and provides 9.5 watts outgoing power, at a different voltage, with the other 0.5w consumed within the regulator, a converter loss.

Last edited:

Johnny2puffs

Moved On
Oct 9, 2011
A transformer ONLY works with AC voltage. The primary coil pulses at a frequency and induces an AC voltage in the secondary coil that has more windings that the primary coil and thus increases the voltage in the secondary coil.
The pv has no transformer to do this as it will require too much space for the inverter plus transformer plus AC to DC diodes.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I use layman terms to communicate to laymen. The "cheat sheet" version is that you need to think in terms of power. Electronics in the middle, between the source battery and the output load (carto/atty) are able to twiddle the voltage and amperage to provide a different output, the only "gotcha" being that the volts x amps on the output has to be less than the volts x amps on the input, due to losses introduced in the items doing the conversion. There are multiple ways to do the conversion in the middle, depends on what you need of it

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
I use layman terms to communicate to laymen. The "cheat sheet" version is that you need to think in terms of power. Electronics in the middle, between the source battery and the output load (carto/atty) are able to twiddle the voltage and amperage to provide a different output, the only "gotcha" being that the volts x amps on the output has to be less than the volts x amps on the input, due to losses introduced in the items doing the conversion. There are multiple ways to do the conversion in the middle, depends on what you need of it
Sure, introducing added components that have their own resistances will add to the overall resistance resulting in less voltage/power.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
OK, so I'm not sure where the VV comes into play or how rather it happens. Looking around and reading and viewing video's I don't know how you van get above 3.7V form a single battery in a vv. The Lava Tube for instance. It has a single 18650 3.7V battery, Yet it can produce up to 6V. How does that happen?

Thanks in advance!

I’m not an Electrical expert, so this might be wrong.

But as I understand it, a VV device takes an output Voltage from the Battery and then trades Amps for Volts, via a Boost Circuit, to make a Higher Voltage. The Higher Voltage is stored in a Capacitor. And then when the button is pushed, the higher Voltage is sent from the Capacitor to the Carto/Atty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread