I'm looking for info about Fluval or the "Fluval method"

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaporman6

Nov 21, 2020
I know it's a weird question and old school but does any one have any info or can you point me to some one or where that can re: Fluval,

the reason I ask is I got a question and asked for advice but I have no idea what I'm talking about

original question below:

"these cuvies contain fluval poly-foam atomizers which can be harmful (known to release noxious gases when heated even at low temperatures). Thoughts on this? Can't find research on this though, I'll keep looking."

can any one shed any light? I found this post but it's from so long ago I don't know if they are using the Fluval in the place of cotton or just to hold the liquid:

What Fluval should I get from the pet store?

the only thing I know about Fluval is it's used in aquarium cleaning,

how was/is it used in vaping?

sorry for the long post

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, vaporman6. I know that 'fish foam' was used by 'e-cig pioneers' years before I even started vaping, and I've been vaping for a bit over six years now. I'm not entirely sure of its' cons in vape world, but I do know that its' not needed or used anymore. Cotton or Rayon are now used for wicking.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    You don't need to do that anymore.

Unless you want to for some odd reason which seems odd as what you cited was possible issues with it and a very elderly post so yeah, it's odd.

Unless you think everyone on ECF is quietly combining what you cite is a "dangerous method" with rayon or cotton, I don't get where that makes sense. Because we aren't. And neither should you.
    Anna

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I know it's a weird question and old school but does any one have any info or can you point me to some one or where that can re: Fluval,

Unless you're planning on using the old-school, 510, shorty atomizers...with a foam-filled mouthpiece on it that you put a very small amount of eliquid in at a time...you don't even need the blue foam.

Even if you want to use a 510 shorty atomizer...I'd just put a regular drip tip on it and drip several drops into the atomizer at a time...instead of using the mouthpiece that you'd put the blue foam in. I use 510 atomizers for taste-testing DIY eliquids I make, and I never use the foam-filled mouthpieces...even though I still have some boxes of them. Mine don't have the blue foam in them though. It's white in mine.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

the reason I ask is I got a question and asked for advice but I have no idea what I'm talking about

original question below:

"these cuvies contain fluval poly-foam atomizers which can be harmful (known to release noxious gases when heated even at low temperatures). Thoughts on this? Can't find research on this though, I'll keep looking."

can any one shed any light? I found this post but it's from so long ago I don't know if they are using the Fluval in the place of cotton or just to hold the liquid:

What Fluval should I get from the pet store?

the only thing I know about Fluval is it's used in aquarium cleaning,

how was/is it used in vaping?

sorry for the long post

Hi vaporman6. Welcome to the ECF.

To understand Fluval, you have to set the Way-Back Machine to the Early Days of e-Cigarettes. When an Atomizer was a 2-Piece design.

One piece, the "Atty", that screwed onto a Battery that had had the Coil. And the other piece, the "Cart", slipped onto the Atty and held the e-Liquid in a "Filler Material".

images

Back in these Early Days, people looked for a "Better" Cart Filler Material than what came from the OEM's. So people would Remove the Cart's Filler Material, and stuff the Cart with something else like Fluval or Pyramid Teabags or (my Favorite) Stainless Steel Scrubby Pads.

Here is a Fluval stuffed Cart...

Cartalignment.jpg

And the Act of doing a "Modification" to a piece of e-Cigarette Hardware is what we used to call a "Mod".

You have to Remember that back in the Early Cretaceous Days of e-Cigarettes, just about Everything needed to be or could be Improved by doing some "Mod" to it. And Very Few things worked Great straight out of the box without some tinkering.

Back then, the ECF used to be Full of Crazy (and Not So Crazy) "Mods" for ways to make an Atty Hit Better. Or Last Long. Or have a Better Taste. Or maybe, The Holy Trifecta, All Three.

Fluval (or the "Blue Foam Mod") was just one in a Long Line of things that attempted to make a 2-Piece Atomizer work better. Alas, Fluval/Blue Foam would breakdown in Blue-Goo when left in a Cart with many e-Liquids. And a Fluval/Blue Foam Dry Hit was akin to Sucking Welding Fumes thru a Burning Plastic Straw. It just wasn't a Great filler material in the Grand Scheme of things.

So the Fluval/Blue Foam craze was Short Lived. But did prompted other Ideas like this...

Stainless Steel Scrubby Pads

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Yuk. Came close to quitting vaping when those and pyramid tea bags were the options. Most folks luckily skipped past that and made it to cartomisers or clearomisers. Or, debridged the atty and dripped. Petsmart got to see a lot of vapers tho in those days of not too many online stores and zero brick-and-mortar stores.

vaporman6

Nov 21, 2020
    Thank you so much everybody!

....... I LOVE THE VAPE COMMUNITY!

extra special thanks to zoiDman, the exact info I was looking for!

sorry if my question was unclear, I'm a vaping activist from Australia, a lot of misinformation is going around, I want to combat that with accurate info, but I am ignorant to a lot of things, I only started vaping 5 years ago.

I will do some more research on rayon,

to all of you, thank you, very much appreciated!

here is a picture of the internals of the device in question:

cuvie insides.jpg

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Yuk. Came close to quitting vaping when those and pyramid tea bags were the options. Most folks luckily skipped past that and made it to cartomisers or clearomisers. Or, debridged the atty and dripped. Petsmart got to see a lot of vapers tho in those days of not too many online stores and zero brick-and-mortar stores.
    I stopped after trying the fluval and tea bags, then trying cartos, and finding them to last less than the tea bags. Tried a clearo several years later, but didn't find it enough of an improvement to get me back into it.

Welcome, @vaporman6

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread