Status
Not open for further replies.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
I'm trying to put together a guide to post that will show users what gauge wire to get to produce a certain oHm coil. Some of the constants are that I use 10cm of NR/wire and 5cm of R/Wire.

It seems that Kanthal and Nichrome are using different measurements, SWG vs AWG vs Gauge. I've bought Kanthal wire from Ebay and also Nichrome wire from Wires.uk. It can get confusing going back and forth between SWG/AWG/Gauge so I thought I'd create a chart showing, for instance, that if you want a Nichrome coil at 1.57 oHms you'd use 5cm of #35 SWG at 30.6 oHm/m.

I'm looking for source material or if this has already been done, a link.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
My multimeter is not very reliable reading seem to jump around a bit but I can send you a bit of .16mm Nichrome, .15mm Nichrome, 32AWG Kanthal (think it's A1 but not 100% sure) or some 36 awg Kanthal rick sent me if you decide to put something together. Just PM me if you want a sample of any of these wires for testing.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
Repent, If I were you, I would make your table using diameter of wire in mm's. I would also include a table (should be one available online) that shows all the AWG SWG to mm conversion, for the range of gauges we are using. This will simplify the process. Someone looks at the table, says I want a 4 Ohm coil (using Kanthal a-1), sees .013mm goes to the conversion table and sees that .013mm is 36 AWG. (these numbers are from memory, and the .013mm might actually really be .012mm's so they might be wrong, but they are just an example) I would look it up right now, to be certain, however I am studying for a management exam I have tomorrow, and I've already spent 2 hours playing with my Odyssei (still makes me laugh) :)

Zoranth

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Baldwin, MI. USA
www.keepandshare.com

R.D.Sponge

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2012
Athens, Greece
Something like this?
75902132.jpg

If it's something similar that you want, I'm afraid it's a lot of work. I've never seen a complete table with ohms, wire type and coil lengtht, not even ohms and coil length with a sole diameter of wire. Of course you can find resistance per foot tables but you'll have to calculate it per inch.

miselfi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Portugal
I have created a small chart like this and i kept record of my results. I'll send in my measurment/ohms/wire combinations in tonight when I get home. All my measurements are from my Provari which is very accurate. This is a chart we all need.
Great thought

Thank on kind words, you must ship that dinner as I don't anticipate me going into the US anytime soon...:D
Would be nice to update my spreadsheet with your readings thought.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
Thanks bunches for the info gang. This is exactly what I had in mind with a lot of the examples already given.

I'll start sorting and compiling and then hopefully be able to have a complete chart.

Currently I own .13mm, .16mm, .20mm in Kanthal-D and .16mm and .0236mm in Nichrome. I also have the .15mm Nichrome? that Imeo sent out. Arriving tomorrow I'll have some 32 ga (.008mm) Kanthal-A at 13.96 oHm/ft.

I created about a dozen coils the other day using .0236mm Nichrome for the NR/wire and .20mm Kanthal-D for the R/wire. I've found that the measurements Imeo gave at the very beginning of iAtty, that is, 10cm for the NR/wire and 5cm for the R/wire to be the perfect measurements to use so that is the basis for all the figures I'm going to calculate. I use 1cm at each end of the R/wire to created the twisted connection. Also, the wires.uk site has their stuff listed in meters of course and we in the US use standard measurement so I decided to go metric(ish) with my calcs. Most likely the chart will have figures for both metric and standard. I would like to include calcs/info for mm, SWG, AWG, and Gauge.

Problem I see is that some places selling wire use the SWG system, some use AWG, and still others use gauge or mm. This is my prompt to do this project because some folks, me included, can get confused when trying to get that certain oHm range in a coil. I hope to answer the question of "What wire is the best to create a 1.5 oHm coil"?

I'm calling 39" a meter, and 5cm to be 2". Close enough for gov't work. So using these figures, the coils that I made were in the range of 1.7-1.9 oHm. The math I used was: .20mm Nichrome is 34.4 oHm/m, so divided by 39 gives .88 oHms per inch so 2 inches (5cm) is a coil of 1.76 oHm.

I want coils to come in at the 1.3-1.5 oHm range so I will be ordering some .212mm Nichrome from wires.uk and that should give me a coil of 1.57 oHm because .212mm Nichrome is at 30.6 oHm/m so 30.6 (oHm/m) / 39 (in) * 2 (in) =1.57 oHm.

If I used my .0236mm Nichrome as the R/wire I'd have to also get some .25mm wire to act as the NR/wire. However a .0236mm R/wire would give me a 1.27 oHm coil which is way too warm for me.

Even though I mention that I want to use metric in my calcs I also use standard as that piece is easier for my mind to comprehend.

The math could easily have been: .212mm Nichrome is at 30.6 oHm/m so 30.6 (oHm/m) / 100 (cm) * 5 (cm)=1.53 oHm. The difference here, .04 oHm, is because of the rounding I'm doing.

Sound OK to everyone?

Repent

Last edited:

miselfi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Portugal
Hi Repent

Measuring wires is not very precise. You should really use a multimeter if you want to be accurate.
Measuring can be used as a rule of thumb, in fact ALL my coils are done using .20 R wire, +-5 cm and twisting each side into the NR wire about 1 cm, leaving more or less 3 (minus) R wire for coiling, always achieve 1.6 ohm (or minus) depending on my mood at the time.
Beare in mind that coils will degrade with usage,this subject was very well explained by Imeo on some other threat in this forum.
Hope that helps.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
Hi Repent

Measuring wires is not very precise. You should really use a multimeter if you want to be accurate.
Measuring can be used as a rule of thumb, in fact ALL my coils are done using .20 R wire, +-5 cm and twisting each side into the NR wire about 1 cm, leaving more or less 3 (minus) R wire for coiling, always achieve 1.6 ohm (or minus) depending on my mood at the time.
Beare in mind that coils will degrade with usage,this subject was very well explained by Imeo on some other threat in this forum.
Hope that helps.

Hi miselfi;

My reason for doing this project is:

Problem I see is that some places selling wire use the SWG system, some use AWG, and still others use gauge or mm. This is my prompt to do this project because some folks, me included, can get confused when trying to get that certain oHm range in a coil. I hope to answer the question of "What wire is the best to create a 1.5 oHm coil"?

These forums are fraught with questions concerning AWG, SWG, gauges, MM, what wire to use to get what oHm coil, what is NR/ wire, what is R/wire, what if I use Nichrome instead of Kanthal, where do I get the wire from, and several others along this same vein.

I do own and use daily a multimeter. Mainly for checking batt levels but after I build a coil I do a continuity test to check for shorts. Saves on destroying batts, burning your finger on a hot button, and saying not so nice words. 8-o

I only hope that this will be a benefit and a blessing to the family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread