Need some advice on wire types & sizes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAlzado

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
USA
I have several questions re best wires (both types) for the Odyssseus in a higher resistance application. I'm hoping to wrap 6 loops around a double wick to achieve 2.8-3.0 ohms. (So thinner wire?)

RESISTANCE wire:
Kanthal or Nichrome? Which is best and do they have the same resistance/inch?
What gauge is most appropriate for this?
What material/gauge comes with the Ody?
Is there a chart anywhere that shows how the diameter corresponds to the gauge size? (or ohms/inch?)

NO RESISTANCE wire:
From what I've read, I plan to use .999 silver. Right? Is 30 ga the right size?
I see on eBay it's available in dead soft, hard, half-hard, & sterling Dead soft???

I've searched this & combed through the results but I'm looking for some more specific high voltage Ody info.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Kanthal A-1 is the wire of choice in my opinion...

32 gauge is best for coils 2ohm or less
36 gauge is best for coils 2.5ohm or higher

and most of us OG iAtty guys like pure silver dead soft 30 gauge for our NR wire...

all of which can be found on either eBay or Amazon at a good price for larger qty 75+ feet also 1/2oz of 30G wire is equal to 95 feet... hope that helps

MAlzado

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
USA
Kanthal A-1 is the wire of choice in my opinion...
32 gauge is best for coils 2ohm or less
36 gauge is best for coils 2.5ohm or higher
and most of us OG iAtty guys like pure silver dead soft 30 gauge for our NR wire...
all of which can be found on either eBay or Amazon at a good price for larger qty 75+ feet also 1/2oz of 30G wire is equal to 95 feet... hope that helps
Thanks.
I appreciate the advice.

BTW, I saw someone posted a link (in another thread) to a US mfg HERE who sells the (30 ga .999 sliver dead soft) wire for .30 cents a foot with free shipping. ($20 min purchase.) That was the cheapest I found it.

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
32g is on eBay and 36g is on Amazon...

heres the 32g for 2.5ohm or smaller coils... Resistance heating wire, Kanthal A-1 32 awg 75ft | eBay

and heres the 36g for 2.5ohm or bigger coils for HV vaping http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-Heater-Wire-Kanthal-0-005/dp/B004XW1P5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327957643&sr=8-1

What I am completely unable to find is 36 or even 34 gage Kanthal A1. I can only find the D grade. I went to the Kanthal website and looked through their manuals and the difference seems pretty significant.

Does anyone know where I might find some A1 grade Kanthal in 34 or 36 gauge?

bpaulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2010
midwest
You might also give Nichrome 34 gauge a try. I did a lot of experimenting between Kanthal A-1 32 gauge, and Nichrome 34 gauge - and found that I personally prefer the Nichrome 34. The Kanthal 32 is noticably thicker, and seems to take longer to heat up (also seemed to kill batteries faster than the thinner wires, but I'm not positive that wasn't my imagination).

I'd be curious to try 34 gauge Kanthal, but haven't seen any.

The stock 36 gauge is fine as well BUT because its so much more resistance/foot, you have much less room for error when building your coil. The 34 gauge is a great happy medium for my quest for a nice low resistance 3.7v coil

Ultimately, I'd just say get some of each, try them all, and see what you like. Fortunately the wire is so cheap, you can try them all without much of an investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread