Implications of PG on Blood Brain Barrier Permeability Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

outofstep

Mar 15, 2009
I just found this study. Don't know quite what to make of it, and I thought I'd get your thoughts. If PG is reducing BBB permeability here, could it also reduce the effectiveness of psychiatric drugs that must cross the BBB to work?

Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies
Quantitative evaluation of the effect of propylene glycol on BBB permeability
Rohit Sood, MD, PhD[SIZE=-1] 1 4[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] *[/SIZE], Saeid Taheri, PhD[SIZE=-1] 1 4[/SIZE], Eduardo Y. Estrada, BS[SIZE=-1] 1[/SIZE], Gary A. Rosenberg, MD[SIZE=-1] 1 2 3[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE]Department of Neurology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE]Department of Neuroscience, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, Health Sciences Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
[SIZE=-1]4[/SIZE]BRaIN Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
email: Rohit Sood (rsood@salud.unm.edu)[SIZE=-1]*[/SIZE]Correspondence to Rohit Sood, MRI Core, BRaIN Center, Room 1112, Domenici Hall, 1101 Yale Blvd., Albuquerque, NM 87131
Funded by:
bull.gif
NIH; Grant Number: RO1NS045847, 5P20RR15636
KeywordsMRI • propylene glycol • T1 • permeability • BBBAbstract

[SIZE=+1]Purpose[/SIZE]To establish the blood-brain barrier (BBB) blocking property of propylene glycol (PG) using the 14C sucrose technique, quantitatively evaluate the effect of PG on BBB permeability using an MRI technique based on graphical analysis, and demonstrate the sensitivity of MRI for testing newer investigational drugs.
[SIZE=+1]Materials and Methods[/SIZE]Brain uptake of sucrose was measured in treated (PG+) and untreated (PG-) rats using a 14C sucrose technique in rat brains (N = 10) that had undergone two hours of middle cerebral artery occlusion (MCAO) and three hours of reperfusion. Another group of PG+ and PG- rats (N = 8) underwent MRI. T2-weighted (T2W) and diffusion-weighted (DW) images were acquired on a 4.7T MR system. A rapid T1 mapping protocol was implemented to acquire a baseline data set followed by postinjection data sets at regular intervals. The data were postprocessed pixelwise to generate permeability coefficient color maps.
[SIZE=+1]

Results[/SIZE]A significant (P < 0.05) reduction in 14C sucrose space was observed on the ischemic side of PG+ rats only. Permeability coefficient estimates obtained by MRI from the ipsilateral hemisphere in PG+ rats were significantly lower than those in PG- rats (P < 0.05). There was no significant change on the contralateral side in PG+ rats. The results show that PG protects the BBB in ischemic stroke, and MRI measurements are sufficiently sensitive to noninvasively detect small drug effects.
[SIZE=+1]

Conclusion[/SIZE]MRI is useful for evaluating the BBB blocking effect of PG in an ischemic stroke model of rat brain. The results from the MR experiment agree well with findings from the 14C sucrose technique. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging 2007. © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
Well I don't take anti depressants to work on my brain thank goodness so that part wouldn't matter to me. lol I'm wayyyyyyy too outgoing and happy!!! Even more so since these e ciggys. LOL I am starting to feel better minus those chemicals from ciggs I really think I am. MUCH more energy and I had a lot to start with. However real ciggys would make me feel tired and icky a lot of the time now I don't feel that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread